Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

Like Tree205Likes

Thread: The flashlight sticky

I run my maxtoch at full power between 2-4 hours in a go with no noticeable drop in performance. It's powered by a high C lipo battery rather than 18650 cells. Had it running with the Panasonic 18650's prior to modification with no issues. @gadgetman might be able to advise if there is a thermal drop-back on the driver boards which might cause this.

There is a very slight thermal drop off but as mudgripz said you would be pushed to notice with the naked eye. I'd say atmospheric change (we do get it on one property round Waiau) of you've dropped it to a lower output mode.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Could have been a change in atmosphere, was just a bit odd at the time

Ejected
    About all this thread has done is raised questions with the MAxtoch!
    1) Is there an external power source available OR an adaptor so they can be run off external power source (preferred)? At minimum I need six hours continuous. A mate uses batteries and what an arse pain that is. The shag around every day charging batteries when your on the hill is painful.
    For me the ideal would be running an adaptor through a relay (if needed) to the switch I have on the bike which switches between the head mounted and the rifle mounted.

2)Has the switching being sorted? I have one that is 12-18 months old and at times only need the low power but always end up having to go through the whole dropping the power procedure as it doesn't hold. Or have I just been shown the wrong method? Click it through till you get the power you want, leave it turned on for a bit on that power setting then it should go back to that next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    1) Is there an external power source available OR an adaptor so they can be run off external power source (preferred)? At minimum I need six hours continuous. A mate uses batteries and what an arse pain that is. The shag around every day charging batteries when your on the hill is painful.
    For me the ideal would be running an adaptor through a relay (if needed) to the switch I have on the bike which switches between the head mounted and the rifle mounted.

2)Has the switching being sorted? I have one that is 12-18 months old and at times only need the low power but always end up having to go through the whole dropping the power procedure as it doesn't hold. Or have I just been shown the wrong method? Click it through till you get the power you want, leave it turned on for a bit on that power setting then it should go back to that next time.
    You need to switch it off for at least 3 seconds for it to switch back into the same power mode. Hitting the on switch before then will switch you to the next mode. Only takes a second to switch back through to the mode you want if you switch it accidentally.
    Wirehunt likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Another point - are you using the recommended high performance batteries in your maxtoch? I mean Maxtoch or Panasonic 3400mAh batteries - not ultrafires, trustfires or other lower output batts. The 3400s will give plenty of runtime in an earlier M24. In six hours shooting - allowing for light off time - you should change batts twice. That takes one minute each time - and you can carry a night's spares in a shirt pocket. This is not hard. And if you get yourself a nitecore 4 batt charger charging is also very easy.

Follow Brian's instructions (above) re the mode memory and you'll be fine there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    @Wirehunt I made an adapter for my M24, so I can run it off an external battery. 6 hours continuous is easily achievable if using 2s lipo packs. Probably just easier to run separate battery packs and lights, so you are not tied to the bike.

Wirehunt likes this.

Quentin did you get the upgrades for your M24 - or get the new 2X? Those 200/800 meter comparison photos you took of M24 and HID spotlight earlier were were very good. Be interesting to see some updated ones

Yep - got the upgrade for the M24.
    Unsoldering the driver from the LED board was interesting. It happily transferred heat from the soldering iron to the torch case. Ended up having to unsolder at the driver end.
    One of the neighbours has a M24 as well, so I will grab that, and do a comparison between the 35W HID, and the two M24 maxtochs.

Be good to see the 2X in 800 meter comparsion also - where abouts are you? Might be a 2X owner nearby.

Kapiti Coast. Work in the Wellington CBD, so could pick up from someone there too.
    Last edited by quentin; 17-07-2016 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by quentin View Post
    Yep - got the upgrade for the M24.
    Unsoldering the driver from the LED board was interesting. It happily transferred heat from the soldering iron to the torch case. Ended up having to unsolder at the driver end.
    One of the neighbours has a M24 as well, so I will grab that, and do a comparison between the 35W HID, and the two M24 maxtochs.
    I pry the LED board up with a jewellers screwdriver then grab the side with needle nose pliers and desolder it in the air. I hold the torch in a little vice.

I gave the LED board a quick tweek, but it did not pop up easily. On the chance it was affixed with Arctic Alumina or the likes, I did not push it too hard. Guess I'll know for the next one.
    This bodes well for future upgraded to this platform.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    Another point - are you using the recommended high performance batteries in your maxtoch? I mean Maxtoch or Panasonic 3400mAh batteries - not ultrafires, trustfires or other lower output batts. The 3400s will give plenty of runtime in an earlier M24. In six hours shooting - allowing for light off time - you should change batts twice. That takes one minute each time - and you can carry a night's spares in a shirt pocket. This is not hard. And if you get yourself a nitecore 4 batt charger charging is also very easy.

Follow Brian's instructions (above) re the mode memory and you'll be fine there too.
    Using the good batteries. There is no light off time, this is for pest control and batteries last about 1.5 hrs give or take.
    Also don't leave the bike so a walk around doesn't matter, if it is a walk around job it's a different rifle needed so another light is used.

Looks like a hack is needed.

Could be some room for upgrades of the Maxtoch in here for us using lights all night...

Quote Originally Posted by quentin View Post
    I gave the LED board a quick tweek, but it did not pop up easily. On the chance it was affixed with Arctic Alumina or the likes, I did not push it too hard. Guess I'll know for the next one.
    This bodes well for future upgraded to this platform.
    Only help down with thermal grease, not glue.