Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Like Tree205Likes

Thread: The flashlight sticky

Well it finally arrived today! Had a quick wee comparison with my led lenser p7 and the difference is amazing! All is forgotten about waiting for it for so long.

Gadget and I did a range of stock and dedomed testing on the Maxtoch M24 and 2X torches last night, looking at possible upgrades. We fitted and tested two new LEDs - the XML2-U3 (upgrade of present XML2-U2), and an XPL type LED.

The standard M24 torch in the experiment read 82.4k lux on the meter with its stock U2 LED. When we fitted the XPL it read 85k lux - about a 3% gain. But we were unable to dedome this XPL led because it has a different silicon bubble compound over the LED and would not peel off. This led no use to us if can't be dedomed.

We then fitted the new U3 led and in the stock M24 it read 90k lux, and in the 2X 138k lux - a 10% output gain. Dedomed the M24 with U3 jumped to 185k lux (a big 860meters ANSI), and the 2X an estimated 275k lux. Makes the M24 even better for scope mounting - very powerful and just 270gms..

Conclusion: the new U3 is a good improvement, making these even better performers. If people are ever doing some work on their torches it wil be good to fit the U3s, but otherwise I would not bother as the 10% gain will be fairly hard to pick out in the field. Some of the 2Xs will touch 280k lux (1060 meters) with the new U3 dedomed, and that is one powerful wee light esp for just $93NZ delivered....

Not bad at all... we will suggest Maxtoch fit all lights with U3s from this time.
    Matt2308 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    Gadget and I did a range of stock and dedomed testing on the Maxtoch M24 and 2X torches last night, looking at possible upgrades. We fitted and tested two new LEDs - the XML2-U3 (upgrade of present XML2-U2), and an XPL type LED.

The standard M24 torch in the experiment read 82.4k lux on the meter with its stock U2 LED. When we fitted the XPL it read 85k lux - about a 3% gain. But we were unable to dedome this XPL led because it has a different silicon bubble compound over the LED and would not peel off. This led no use to us if can't be dedomed.

We then fitted the new U3 led and in the stock M24 it read 90k lux, and in the 2X 138k lux - a 10% output gain. Dedomed the M24 with U3 jumped to 185k lux (a big 860meters ANSI), and the 2X an estimated 275k lux. Makes the M24 even better for scope mounting - very powerful and just 270gms..

Conclusion: the new U3 is a good improvement, making these even better performers. If people are ever doing some work on their torches it wil be good to fit the U3s, but otherwise I would not bother as the 10% gain will be fairly hard to pick out in the field. Some of the 2Xs will touch 280k lux (1060 meters) with the new U3 dedomed, and that is one powerful wee light esp for just $93NZ delivered....

Not bad at all... we will suggest Maxtoch fit all lights with U3s from this time.
    Can you buy the U3 LEDs and where would you get them from?
    I have dedomed some of my M24's, had about a 50% strike rate but I have had some trouble dedoming the 2Xsso I'm after some new LEDs to try and get them up and running again.

Quote Originally Posted by screamO View Post
    Can you buy the U3 LEDs and where would you get them from?
    I have dedomed some of my M24's, had about a 50% strike rate but I have had some trouble dedoming the 2Xsso I'm after some new LEDs to try and get them up and running again.
    The X2 is the easiest to de-dome as you can screw off the reflector bell almost level with the LED. How are you doing the de-doming. With heating I'm on a 99%+ success rate having done a couple of hundred with 1 failure.

CREE XM L2 U3 Cool White LED Emitter with 16mm Aluminum Star-in Diodes from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Used my maxtoch quite a bit, its an older one i think and i really like the tint of the light. Have used alongside the lenser X7R and the maxtoch seems to have more reach but certainly not a better light by any stretch as it has just a bit tighter spot for close work scanning.

Whats an equivalent light to the X7R that doesn't carry the same price tag but has the adjustable spot etc? @gadgetman @mudgripz

What sort of scanning range are you looking for? Looking at the X7R on the web I would say it is likely to get inefficient when zoomed to a spot. Possibly something like a humble 501b would do.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

If i could get a light that had a maxtoch tight spot at the upper end and just something a bit wider at the lower end i would be happy. The X7R is about as wide as i would want it when its at full zoom, when you decrease the x7R it has to much flood.

I don't find the maxtoch has quite enough flood, but nearly

Quick pick To illustrate different colour of these lights, x7r on left
    Doesn't show the flood of the x7r

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  473.4 KB
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  482.2 KB

There is always a compromise. Possibly the best alternative would be an Maxtoch without de-doming. The de-doming narrows and intensifies the beam as well as warming the tint.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    The X2 is the easiest to de-dome as you can screw off the reflector bell almost level with the LED. How are you doing the de-doming. With heating I'm on a 99%+ success rate having done a couple of hundred with 1 failure.

CREE XM L2 U3 Cool White LED Emitter with 16mm Aluminum Star-in Diodes from Electronic Components & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
    It has been working almost text book like, I just turn on the light for about 5 mins and then just pop the dome off which seems to be the easy bit. When I go to turn it back on thou it's a no go.
    The ones wherei thought I might have been a bit rough seem to work.
    Amanda was good enough to send me some replacements which was good.
    The more I think about it my success rate might be more like 30%

That is a very low success rate. There are likely to be better deals on the U3's but you have to be wary. Make sure anything U2/U3 has a silver surface to the LED carrier. If it is green it will not be what you are after.

Also, do you just fit the same led into both the M24 and the 2Xs or do you have to order different size boards? If that makes any sense

Quote Originally Posted by screamO View Post
    Also, do you just fit the same led into both the M24 and the 2Xs or do you have to order different size boards? If that makes any sense
    I heat the board from underneath till the solder melts, remove the new LED. Swap boards heat the second board till the solder melts, remove the old LED and carefully place the new LED. As the solder solidifies and 'takes' the LED I pop the dome. M24 and 2x have different boards.

I heat the board from underneath till the solder melts, remove the new LED. Swap boards heat the second board till the solder melts, remove the old LED and carefully place the new LED. As the solder solidifies and 'takes' the LED I pop the dome. M24 and 2x have different boards.
    That's great, thanks

X7R has distance rating of 320m which equates to about 30k lux. That means its more of a short range torch. By contrast the earliest Maxtoch rates at 48-52k lux stock, and dedomed is about 100-110k. Maxtoch beam designed for both longer throw and useful flood - and that's what we use it for.

In terms of price the new Maxtoch M24 is $85 delivered, and pumps out about 82k lux standard with very good flood plus tight hotspot. 170k+ dedomed. The led lenser is $335 here, or $289 on special at GC - not the same versatility, down alot on performance, and 3 times the price.

Did a meter and field test review recently with the bigger Led Lenser X14 compared to a new Maxtoch M24 - no comparison really in terms of overall value/performance. However - if you're doing lots of short range shooting only - 0-75m or so the Led Lenser flood would be useful.

http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...och-m24-17937/
    Kscott and PerazziSC3 like this.