Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Garmin inReach - GPS, SOS, two way satelite text communication

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    after having been airlifted out with multiple injuries once before.
    listen to this fellow...

Quote Originally Posted by Gillie View Post
    A comment taken off another forum... I would definitely want this confirmed before I bought one of these.

PLB versus inReach - I suspect for the person that doesn't have a PLB this would be better than not having one...
    I would say this is correct. When you first power the unit up for the first time it asks you to register/activate it on Garmins inreach website before continuing.
    You can't get past this without activating it I would suspect this means you need to pay at least for one months plan. However I also suspect once activated the unit will work as a GPS even if the plan is suspended.
    Will confirm when I managed to get my old unit deactivated and swapped to the new unit
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    More satellites but much less transmission power, through 3rd parties for SOS rather than direct to RCCNZ, variables like "used most of the battery texting the mrs so now I have 5 mins of SOS time", no 406mhz beacon backup function, etc. I like them for texting but wouldn't trust for PLB. Also I prefer a satphone because ie you might be in South Westland and want to contact James Scott for a pickup. He's got no cell reception so can't text, so you need to call him. Can't call with an Inreach.

Iridium "Go" looks good. Keen to get some time on one of those this summer.
    Not sure on this new model but Iv had the original for a few years. The battery life is very good, I had it on Stew Island for a week and it still had plenty of charge after using it very day and sending "ha you should be here " txts. Sending texts wont drain the battery , well maybe if your 14 with your first ever girlfriend.
    . It only needs to get a signal for a short time to send an sos message which has the cords attched.
    You can easily text home and get Mrs to ring your taxi. You can turn on the bread crumbs feature so your position can seen by who ever you want when ever you want.
    IIRC its monitored in Texas , they quote 6mins? till NZ service has the information, pretty sure its been used here with a successful outcome .Mapping through the earthmate app Bluetoothed to the phone is good.
    buell984 likes this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Battery life for the older unuist was quoted at 100 hours of continous operation.
    We had one of our clients use one when his boat had issues, he like the fact he could take the unit with him in his liferaft and still communicate via rescuers.

They are not a PLB but in some ways they are better as provided you have not fallen off a bluff you can advise the rescurers what you actually require and if they are switched on and have signal they can be pinged by Inreach (your partner) to find you if you are overdue and not able to activate yourself

In other ways not so much as you need to make sure you have full batteries ALWAYS

You can both text and email with them too I believe and you can also text to satphone numbers for chopper pickups
    buell984 likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Yeah, it is a pity about the internal battery rather than going with something like AA batteries that I could take a spare set or two along. Could get a solar charger or something I suppose...

Still keen to see the mapping though I can't see it replacing me taking a hard copy map with me.
    You cannot miss fast enough!
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GPREventsNZ
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/sgil045

Is the battery thing much of an issue though? It holds well, havnt looked at mine since febuary and its still on 85%. Charge it before you go and you've got weeks of capacity.
    Is it a PLB? in general terms I think I could argue both sides but my confidence in it has grown with use so Im more on the yes it is side. The thought of pressing a button and then just waiting and hoping dosnt sound as good as a conformation response.
    gadgetman, mikee and buell984 like this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Yep, talking to some guys here that set off their beacon when one of the broke his leg. They said it was a long and hopefully few hours before the chopper turned up but then it flew away almost immediately and a second one came back a couple of hours later (night vision + winch). The guys said they were left wondering what was going on when the first chopper flew away!
    You cannot miss fast enough!
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GPREventsNZ
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/sgil045

Ejected
    With these units is there anything stopping me purchasing one here in the states for use in NZ, if I subscribe to the NZ contract service?

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    With these units is there anything stopping me purchasing one here in the states for use in NZ, if I subscribe to the NZ contract service?
    Can't see why not.
    Nibblet likes this.

Updates g?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Updates g?

Please elaborate?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Wondering if transferable here and at what cost over there...

Dan M

I am considering one of there or a sat phone aswell, I'm not sure if I would trust relying on it as a PLB aswel hense the thought of sat phone

Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Wondering if transferable here and at what cost over there...

$450 murican.
    You would just subscribe through the nz agents or whatever.
    I was just double checking there's no interfering frequencies or something but shouldn't be.

Name:  20170730_163632.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  673.6 KB
    Danny likes this.

$450 murican.
    You would just subscribe through the nz agents or whatever.
    I was just double checking there's no interfering frequencies or something but shouldn't be.

Attachment 73051
    Prices of satellite phones seem to be coming down, that chart doesn't give a rate for phone calls though... I'm on a $60/month plan with spark and not using most of it, almost worth getting one when reception is patchy where we live.

Anyone know where has the best service (price is an issue but really like good customer service) if I was going to get one?