Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Good all round folding knofe

Love the handle on my gerber folder, but it's missing the tip off the blade....

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    Svord pheasant knife
    Can supply then too......just saying.

Just been thinking about you snapping blades in ball joints. Even fixed blades will and can break if you are doing it wrong. I bent the tip on a custom knife once, have since had the tip changed, in saying that and having done one or two ball joint cuts I think if your snapping knives you may be doing it wrong??

I know a guy that makes a nice fixed blade skeleton knife, so you could look at custom but will then bulk it up with a leather sheath. Just a thought

Hamish

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Snapped my Mercator digging around in the top joint while removing a chamois head, maybe it was a one off? Maybe I got it wrong? I do recall it starting to rain and I was hurrying to get the legs, head, and backsteaks off to make a beeline back down to camp. I would prefer a slightly wider blade than a Mercator anyhow If it's to be my only knife as I find it easier to skin with, have poked the odd hole with a Mercator, again while rushing.
    This is all good food for thought thanks guys.

Buy my gerber in the for sale. Has a pouch. Pouches are cool.

Well if cheap floats your boat the Svord peasant or an opinel and good choices, both simple, good steel that's easy to sharpen, with comfortable wood handles that can easily be sandpapered to the right shape for your hand and if you lose them or break them it won't cost the earth to replace, on the other hand if you want a quality blade then Spyderco and Zero Tolerance make some fine ones that you would be hard pressed to break.

scottrods likes this.

Opinel no9

got the mercator, best way i found was to flat grind the edge since the steel is so hard and performs much better. the nose/tip i find is not the best shape for backsteaks or lots of skinning but its good for taking off legs, boning and stuff. once i changed the edge shape it was easier to steel up and held for a bit longer. might get away with 2 deer without a stone if your real good

got the svord peasant, the steel is hard too and the edge is a bit steep for my liking so it probably needs the same treatment as the mercator, but the nose is a bit more rounded and the length of the blade a bit stumpy i find ,and the last time it went blunt so continued on with the bahco. people rave about the svords, but you really need to reset the edge when you buy it new as its just a grinder finish, then it should perform ok but remember they are realistically budget quality knives with a premiun price tag. a works boning knife would have the same performance. svord peasants are really as good as what you pay for them.

the advantage of folding knives is they take up bugger all space and you dont need a sheath as long as the locking mechanism is positive.

i have been using a spyderco knife, they look real ugly. but im liking it so far, the steel is vg-10, a step up from the carbon steels of the mercator/svord, and probably on par with the gerber gator, 154cm i think. i prefer the blade shape of this though and it seems to be going ok with only a run on the wetstone after 10 months, i probably need to look for a better steel that is fine enough to suit the hardness of the vg10. i reset the edge on this as well. blademaster has them for 170 bucks. the handle is a good size, good grip and thickness and the mechanism is stainless too.

https://secure.zeald.com/blademaster...pyderco+endura

end of the day, heaps of options, if your a 5 piece fleece pack type of hunter then anything will probably do you and you wouldnt go wrong with the svord or mercator
    #BallisticFists

Quote Originally Posted by scoped View Post
    got the mercator, best way i found was to flat grind the edge since the steel is so hard and performs much better. the nose/tip i find is not the best shape for backsteaks or lots of skinning but its good for taking off legs, boning and stuff. once i changed the edge shape it was easier to steel up and held for a bit longer. might get away with 2 deer without a stone if your real good

got the svord peasant, the steel is hard too and the edge is a bit steep for my liking so it probably needs the same treatment as the mercator, but the nose is a bit more rounded and the length of the blade a bit stumpy i find ,and the last time it went blunt so continued on with the bahco. people rave about the svords, but you really need to reset the edge when you buy it new as its just a grinder finish, then it should perform ok but remember they are realistically budget quality knives with a premiun price tag. a works boning knife would have the same performance. svord peasants are really as good as what you pay for them.

the advantage of folding knives is they take up bugger all space and you dont need a sheath as long as the locking mechanism is positive.

i have been using a spyderco knife, they look real ugly. but im liking it so far, the steel is vg-10, a step up from the carbon steels of the mercator/svord, and probably on par with the gerber gator, 154cm i think. i prefer the blade shape of this though and it seems to be going ok with only a run on the wetstone after 10 months, i probably need to look for a better steel that is fine enough to suit the hardness of the vg10. i reset the edge on this as well. blademaster has them for 170 bucks. the handle is a good size, good grip and thickness and the mechanism is stainless too.

https://secure.zeald.com/blademaster...pyderco+endura

end of the day, heaps of options, if your a 5 piece fleece pack type of hunter then anything will probably do you and you wouldnt go wrong with the svord or mercator
    Ive got an older Spyderco Manx 2, the one with a hollow ground 154cm blade and while it is pretty good to hold it doesnt hold an edge very well at all, it was a bit disappointing for a relatively expensive knife. The CRKT knife that it replaced (I lost) had a AUS8 blade which seemed to hold up a lot better. Granted not apples to apples as they had different grinds but still.

MSL
    Just brought a victorinox sentinel one hand, should be good

I decided to try out this, just arrived in the mail this morning. It's a Manly "Comrade" (companion in Bulgarian) it seems to fit what I was after, I like the blade shape. It's what they call 1.2379 steel, similar if not the same as D2. It came with a flat grind which I will have a crack at changing to a micro convex (been watching heaps of YouTube!) Have heard that D2 can be difficult to sharpen but holds a very good edge, it's razor sharp as it is and shaves with no pressure behind it at all. Will check back in once it's dealt to an animal.
    Name:  IMG_20160704_121251.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  1,000.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_20160704_121551.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  899.6 KB
    7mmsaum, Tikka7mm08, GWH and 5 others like this.

Ryan_Songhurst likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    Im looking at getting one of these to try.

Seen them on a bunch of videos in the usa and they look very very handy

Havalon Piranta-Edge Skinning Knife
    i have one of these, skinned a steer with it but broke a blade. the blades are bit thin , you have to be careful but are magically sharp
    199p likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    They are nice in the hand but manf quality is cheap for the price, and made in Asia.