Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Headlamp and flashlights plus other stuff recommendations

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

Headlamp and flashlights plus other stuff recommendations

After getting my ute ripped off I need to replace some of the gear lost. Fortunately insurance will cover most of it.
    Im after a new headlamp and flashlight to replace the ones lost. I had all Led Lenser which was OK but I'm wondering if theres better options available now. Mostly needing relatively compact and light over shear horsepower.
    Id like to get a headlamp thats good for cooking meals in camp and walking in the dark. (was a H7 Led lenser)
    Also keen on a smallish flashlight that comfy in a pocket or pack. (was a P7 Led Lenser). Not so keen on the larger Maxtoch for this purpose but the 18650 battery option looks worth exploring.
    Anyone have experience with the Led Lenser type rechargable options? USB plug to charge looks good but no point if your outta juice in the wop wops.

Also lost a GoPro Hero Black 4+. Its a good little camera but wondering whats new that may be better? Probably get no choice here as insurance might have a preferred supplier.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

'Fenix' might be worth a look in terms of lights. Ive only ever got them from https://www.armyandoutdoors.co.nz/co...ghting-torches , they could be sold else where cheaper.
    kiwijames likes this.

I too say Fenix also nitecore and maxtoch are worth looking at too

I've got a zebralight bought 2ndhand off a member here that runs the 18650 battery and can slip down to wear around the neck - it has some silly subroutines in the on/off sequence but once you get used to it it is my primary light

I think it might be marketed to cavers?

+1 for Zebra light.
    I have the H600 MK2 neutral white. Lots of power settings and lasts for ever.
    Bloody brilliant. Can easily be used as a torch as well.
    This is the new model. Sounds even better.
    H600w Mk III XHP35 Neutral White 18650 Headlamp
    Leaves my old H7 for dead.
    Last edited by Shearer; 08-08-2017 at 09:57 PM.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    bought a h5 led lenser for $60 basic light on off with a zoom focus used only for one trip so far ok for getting back to camp and round camp.if you like the usb rechargeable ones look at a powerall jump pack great to takeaway as a backup jumpstart for truck or bike but can recharge phones and anything that works off a usb .my one even has a really good light built in as well.
    I bought a 2500mAh battery from Warehouse stationary the other day for $3. So cheap I bought 4 of them. Smaller than an iPhone and should do one charge with anything.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Ejected
    I use to have the lenser 14.2r until the dog ate the cord.
    Usb rechargeable battery pack that could also be removed to run either two 18650 or 4 AA batteries.

Had great battery life and never needed to use the other power options.
    Multiple light modes, wide beam to narrow spot, lockable for travel so you don't flatten the battery.

Biggest draw backs were it's quite big and heavier than most and the rotary dial/ button for adjusting brightness and mode etc is very easy to knock and turn if you're wearing say a hood one top in the rain.

Overall though I found it to be really good. Put it on wide beam and dim it right down and you don't destroy your night vision on close up objects.

At the time trade tools was the cheapest option. I'm currently tossing up if I go back to that unit or give the petzl nao+ a try

I have an armytek wizard pro. I really like it so far. Puts out everything from a dribble of light to a stupid amount more light than you need. Is compact, light and runs on 1 18650. It's not an adjustable zoom type but they have flood and spot in 1 light and I for my uses they nailed the profile.

You don't need the mega light 99% of the time but when navigating a shitty piece of bush or a steep face in the dark it sure comes in handy
    kiwijames, LOC and mkm like this.

LOC
    got the same model, it is like walking in daylight (as opposed to a spotlight type beam) which i reckon is what you want when trudging through the dark. still feels pretty compact and lightweight given it holds an 18650

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    I have an armytek wizard pro. I really like it so far. Puts out everything from a dribble of light to a stupid amount more light than you need. Is compact, light and runs on 1 18650. It's not an adjustable zoom type but they have flood and spot in 1 light and I for my uses they nailed the profile.

You don't need the mega light 99% of the time but when navigating a shitty piece of bush or a steep face in the dark it sure comes in handy
    kiwijames likes this.

Ejected
    They look like a pretty decent little unit

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    They look like a pretty decent little unit
    Sure do. Almost bought one but thought I better wait as insurance co may want the option to buy things first.
    LOC likes this.

I have both Fenix and Zebralight. I rate them both for different applications. The moonlight mode on the zebralight is particularly good when you want very low brightness.
    My Fenix has USB recharge which makes it more compatible with other electronics and chargers on longer trips

Black Diamond for head torch. Can charge via USB. I can 4 of them, 2 for the mrs 2 for me, ideal.

Got a link @Nick-D?
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

LOC
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Sure do. Almost bought one but thought I better wait as insurance co may want the option to buy things first.
    if you get an Armytek make sure it is the V3 which is 2100 lumens vs the V2 at 1200 lumens
    there is also the choice of light colour, i didn't get the white light as prefer the softer (yellower) hue round camp etc
    picked up mine on massdrop but they don't seem to have them at the moment
    Nibblet likes this.