Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Help with new headlamp

Help with new headlamp

I was careless the other weekend and managed to drop my old Silva L2 headlamp in the dunes up in woodhill two weekends ago.
    The old silva had 3 levels of light, and a powercontrol circuit that evened out the light for pretty much the light of the batteries rather than sucking the life in the first hour and having a dull light for the next 5hrs.

It seems everything has changed dramatically in the 5yrs since I bought it and need some guideance on what and where to get a new headlamp.
    Typical use is for walk in/out use and around camp.
    I've read some of the threads on the other forum about choices but they are often talking about lights that can double as spotlights and I just don't need that.

Thoughts?

R93
    I have had one of these for a while.
    Has 3 brightness settings a spreader that also protects the lense. Lasts for ages on 3 AA batts.
    Has button protection so when closed it cant be turned on in your pack or unintentionally.
    Didnt buy it from here and dont think I paid as much. I just couldnt remember the model.

http://www.outdoorsupplies.co.nz/Petzl_MyoRXP.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. So please forgive my sausage fingers!!!
    Last edited by R93; 06-08-2012 at 06:51 PM.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Check out the LED Lenser H14 - 210 Lumens LED - headlight , i have one of these there great up to 35 hrs on 4 AA batteries pull push adjustable beam ,with different power settings they claim the beam cast out to 210 meters ive havnt measured it but looks about right .

Without a doubt I would recommend Lenser H7 you won't regret buying one of these and save yourself $30.00 on H & F price

Specials - Hunting and Outdoor Supplies

Quote Originally Posted by NZHTR View Post
    Check out the LED Lenser H14 - 210 Lumens LED - headlight , i have one of these there great up to 35 hrs on 4 AA batteries pull push adjustable beam ,with different power settings they claim the beam cast out to 210 meters ive havnt measured it but looks about right .
    I've got one of these also, great having the extra power when coming back to camp untracked in the dark, especialy finding the right spur climbing out of creek.

What do you want to spend, how quick do you need it?

H7 is small and light and has plenty of light as isn't tooo expensive...unless you compare it with HK imports @ less than $20

H14 is bigger and brighter and heavier and dearer but if you dont mind the size and expence a great light.....or get an import with similar brightness for under $40

The import ones you mostly have to cycle through the three modes to turn off (well the ones that use the 18650 batteries that I have have do) but a couple of the slightly dearer ones don't apparently

My cycle light/ headlight is way brighter on half power than the H7 and on full blows it away, you can focus the beam but it still throws faurther than the h7 but I dont have an h14 ti compare with, I have another headlight coming with a smaller battery pack than the bike light so its more compact..

Flood-to-Throw 3-Mode Cree Q3 LED Headlamp (1*18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

I have that as I run the 18650 batteries as they hold there charge so long, some tourches I have can sit for a year and not need charging... The one I gave my father has been charged once in three years, not used every day but most rechargables disharge while sitting. You can get the AAA ones cheaper but I wouldn't bother

TrustFire Protected 18650 3.7V Rechargeable Li-ion Batteries (Pair) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

I also have this

CREE XML XM-L T6 1600 Lumens LED Cycle Bike Bicycle Lamp Head Light Headlamp NEW | eBay

Very bright but battery pack is to big for everyday use, great on the bike with a wide angle lense fitted

I have this coming

New 1600Lm CREE XM-L XML T6 LED Headlamp Headlight 18650 Charger | eBay

you could buy two types + battery and chargers for less than the H7 or if you go AAA type get 10 for the price of one
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

Have been having a good browse in the last few days and as I said at the beginning, its a bit like starting from nothing again looking at stuff.
    I note that 2xAA power supplies have fallen away which is a pity from my point of view as it gives a much better supply than 3xAAA ever will.
    The H7 seems very overpriced for a non regulated torch, made in china, when the probable manufacturing cost between it and a copy will be a $1 if that.

Tussock lots of those cheap ones are pretty much full alloy.... some aren't though so you realy have to look and read through what little specs they have... Battery box's also have to be looked at

CREE Q5 White LED Headlamp - 3-Mode 200LM Focus Adjustable (1 x 18650 / 3 x AAA) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

ones like the above are no good, the loop that runs over your head is mounted at the back of the box will mean it is uncomfortable and the strap mounts are thin and will break....

You do need to look at the hinge setup on the light as well but but some are just as good as my H7 but better with the better batteries, I seam to be allways replacing batteries on that..

Tomo got the more expensive one just in case and it is a good light but not much in it to the half priced ones....but it is still half the price of the H7

H6 Rechargeable Focus-Adjustable and Dimming Cree Q5 White LED Headlamp with Charger Set - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

When i get the next lot of torches in I might do a photo shoot at night and do a reveiw when time permits as there are some realy good lights out there for not much coin ATM... some of my cheap ones out shine the high dollar jobs too

Tim
    I agree with Leathel, the DX lamps cannot be beaten for price. I used to be a Lenser fan but these DX lights are almost as good in quality (I'm hard on my headlamps) but beat them hands down in the light and price department. Just remember you'll need some 18650 batteries and a charger as well if you buy from DX. Even with those as well you'll be paying less than a 3rd of a Lenser.

I have 2 of these on the way:
    Cree XR-E Q5 180LM 3-Mode Headlamp - Champagne (2 x 18650) - Worldwide Free Shipping - DX

I chose them because they'll take 2x batteries, I found swapping out the single battery on my other one to be a pain in the ass. Not that I had to swap it often but I'm really lazy
    Getting older is compulsory, growing up is entirely optional.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I agree with Leathel, the DX lamps cannot be beaten for price. I used to be a Lenser fan but these DX lights are almost as good in quality (I'm hard on my headlamps) but beat them hands down in the light and price department. Just remember you'll need some 18650 batteries and a charger as well if you buy from DX. Even with those as well you'll be paying less than a 3rd of a Lenser.

I have 2 of these on the way:
    Cree XR-E Q5 180LM 3-Mode Headlamp - Champagne (2 x 18650) - Worldwide Free Shipping - DX

I chose them because they'll take 2x batteries, I found swapping out the single battery on my other one to be a pain in the ass. Not that I had to swap it often but I'm really lazy
    ebay can beat DX for price on the odd thing....just got some of my ebay torches now....still be a few days for the headlights to come though.... hate the waiting though... but its only a couple of weeks ATM.

Well after much umming and ahhing I've ordered one of these Storm Headlamp - Black Diamond Mountain Gear

It's a compromise between some of the powerful lamps out there now, build quality, knowing this one really is waterproof and will fit in my pocket on an extended "afternoon" hunt.

Thank you for all the advise, there certainly is a wide array of choices out there.

Barefoot, you had the forest sprayed out yet

Yeah sprayed near the house. The planters are currently working in your spot and the birds have cleared off to the big pines over the road.
    Other areas have people working in them.
    You'll have to wait another year now, there is too much happening up there on any given day of the week. Sorry.

thats all good bro, but we better start looking at some traps then and setting up a trap line when the planting has finished

Understood
    These planters act like their getting paid by the hour
    I'm getting the northland boys next year
    Will have a chat beginning of next month when everything settles down here.