Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: How big a pack?

75L Macpac Cascade. Heaps of room. Good for 3 days to at least 10 in the hills. Plus room for meat/skins on the pack out.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Anyone had a exped 40 or 60L Lightening?
    They look light but a lot cheaper than the cactus and some of these huge Macpac designs. I think 60L will be the largest I'll be going at this stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    llewelyn likes this.
    Dan M

Yeah I've got the lightening 60. Has held up well for me so far and is the most comfortable harness I have ever used. Carries a load super well. They are pretty minimalistic though so not the thing if you like a million pockets. I can squeeze 7 days out of mine
    Danny likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Yeah I've got the lightening 60. Has held up well for me so far and is the most comfortable harness I have ever used. Carries a load super well. They are pretty minimalistic though so not the thing if you like a million pockets. I can squeeze 7 days out of mine
    Thanks mate.
    Dan M

Yup I'll endorse the lightning 60. A mate liked mine so much he bought one too. Its really only a summer /lightweight pack
    Danny likes this.
    #BallisticFists

75 litre tatonka bison

Quote Originally Posted by scoped View Post
    Yup I'll endorse the lightning 60. A mate liked mine so much he bought one too. Its really only a summer /lightweight pack
    Would these compress down to be used for a day pack. or would they be too big and noisey?

Something not mentioned, but I have two 40 litre packs made by different manufactures and one is about 1/4 bigger than the other...
    I guess they are not all comparably just by what size the label says.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08IMP View Post
    Would these compress down to be used for a day pack. or would they be too big and noisey?
    Yep ive done this a few times, saves a bit of room
    #BallisticFists

Quote Originally Posted by scoped View Post
    Yep ive done this a few times, saves a bit of room
    Yeah ive used it as such in open country, the material is actually pretty quiet. It sticks up a bit which is annoying IMO for the bush. Still doable but not ideal for bush stalking

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Ive got over night packs ranging from the bullet proof Miklat 40lt ( it's a very tight 40 though ) 50lt Macpac Cascade to an Eberlstock J34 which is bomb proof but weighs a farken ton.

I'm soon heading off into the Rua's for a few days so went & got a new light weight 70lt for the trip. Ended up buying an Osprey aether 70. Seems to fit well, looks pretty good quality & hopefully will do the bizzo.

For me I can get away with a 50 for a couple of nights but need a little more space for any longer. Depends on what I'm taking eg tent, plenty of wet weather gear, spare clothes etc & if I'm taking a box of cans lol plus how much meat I'm hoping to score & bring out.
    Danny and 25/08IMP like this.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

I have a markhor 55+10 solid pack have done 6 days in the ranges with this and will be doing 7 days in the ranges in april.
    Danny likes this.