Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Hunting clothing

What this man said. Best quote I have seen on these forums for ever. Nuf said.

J
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Have you tried hunting in a Cotton shirt and black rugby shorts, with a woolen layer and a windbreaker/raincoat if need be ?,it works.

More deer have been killed without Camo than with.

Most hunting/fishing clothing is designed to catch your $$$$ not game.

Swazi, Icebreaker & Kuiu if you're after quality proven products.

I do use alot of Military equipment mainly because a mate of mine (ex Brit military) likes to trade his gear for wild game. I swapped a leg of pork for a new Brit military fly tarp the other night, must say it is far superior to my Huntech fly I usually use.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Ive got some Kuiu stuff coming in the post as we speak. If it lives half up to the hype ill be a happy man

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Ive got some Kuiu stuff coming in the post as we speak. If it lives half up to the hype ill be a happy man
    Kuiu does have a good line of gear that functions as described. It fits with what I consider a more kiwi style of functionality plus so far is quite hard wearing.
    Only one gripe is the stupid FB post I got from a combined Kuiu and Talley scope rings telling me how great it was they were supporting Donald Trump. Made me sad/mad.
    Blaser, paddygonebush and Nick-D like this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

I could use cotton shirts and shorts etc like I used to. I could also drive there in an austin A40 devon like I used to. But there are far better/more comfortable options these days. Im sure it wont make difference to my success rate but to quote Jeremy Clarkson" money might not buy you happiness but its better crying in a Range Rover"
    R93, Shooter, mikee and 3 others like this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

northdude
    i use army surplus gear it lasts a long time

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    the big red shed AKA the warehouse has some pretty ok kit now days.
    I've had a pair of Warehouse cotton shorts for several years that I wear with long johns, and in the mean time have torn and discarded 3 pairs of Adidas nylon shorts. Adidas footy shorts are probably better, but slow drying.

I wear branded stuff if I get given it or if its in a sale, but otherwise just wear ordinary outdoor work cheap stuff. Cheap brushed cotton work shirts are ok with a polly or wool singlet underneath.

+1 for army surplus, kiwi disposals is where I have got a bit of gear in the past. Tends to a bit on the heavy side but I feel its guna last better than something light and flimsy.

Did just pick up 2short sleeve blue blaze fleece tops for $60 at the big red shed though...

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Kuiu does have a good line of gear that functions as described. It fits with what I consider a more kiwi style of functionality plus so far is quite hard wearing.
    Only one gripe is the stupid FB post I got from a combined Kuiu and Talley scope rings telling me how great it was they were supporting Donald Trump. Made me sad/mad.
    Yep. One of the many 'promises' trump has made is to keep public land in public hands, so alot of the hunting fraternity are keen on him. It might be one of the few things he will remember saying as his sons are both keen hunters.
    Its a crazy world we live in when that maniac has a real shot at being president.

wait for sales or 2nd hand stuff, buy gear when its out of season or season promos etc.

try not to pay full retail when I can
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

Ejected
    To quote the great @1toeknee1

"Money is no obstacle for hobbies."

I have some pretty alright kit, but still just wear merino longs with shorts overtop and thermal long sleeve with fleece t shirt. Comfortable and fast drying.

Ex Rugby club shorts and socks=$0, couple of black eyes from games
    Ex Brit Army Gortex jacket $90, kiwi disposals these are awesome
    Various wharehouse, Kathmandu, H&F poly top & longjohns. Don't go too pricey as you will rip holes, cover in blood and animal fur mixture and possibly need to sometimes just biff or you leave mixed up with someone else's gear.
    Most of the top of the line stuff is quite hot for your general hunting, more alps or South Island winter gear. I struggle to hunt in long pants despite everyone in the magazines wearing them these days.
    7mmsaum likes this.

Actually go for good quality socks, don't go cheapskate there

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    I buy good gear but hate that once you have worn it out they have changed the style or no longer make that bit of kit.
    My new approach is to find what I like and buy two of them.
    Like the Swazi anorak I hunt in is no longer made for example

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!