Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: JHarriss Knives

tried to send an email but no reply... really interested in buying one too.

I have seen a very nice knife with "damascus" patterning made from sawchain evidently holds an edge well.

Quote Originally Posted by HILLBILLYHUNTERS View Post
    Very true scottrods,but its not hard to give it a oil just the same as when oiling your rifle do it at the same time. The reason I write this is your knife to me is part of your essential equipment and in a lot of cases its the least looked after.
    HILLBILLYHUNTERS is right about take good care of your knife. Easiest way to remove the rust/oxidisation is to sprinkle baking soda on a half a potoato and rub down the knives with they turn shiney again I also use a bit of vinegar, confuse the deers as they just think your walking fish and chips and no danger

Sorry D I am a bit of a novice here, what is a pm??

Quote Originally Posted by janeian View Post
    Sorry D I am a bit of a novice here, what is a pm??
    personal message
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by Shahin View Post
    tried to send an email but no reply... really interested in buying one too.
    I will track her down.
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Got her cell number now if anyone needs it but reception is a bit dodgey. Message me.
    CFD

Fek those r good looking knifes

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    I will track her down.
    Received the number you sent me but an important question before I message her. How much do her knives range from price wise? as I don't want to be a waste of time if they are too expensive. But am obviously prepared to pay three figures.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Shahin View Post
    Received the number you sent me but an important question before I message her. How much do her knives range from price wise? as I don't want to be a waste of time if they are too expensive. But am obviously prepared to pay three figures.

Cheers,
    I'm just the messenger doing her a favour the email address is there,cell phone number has been messaged too those that want it.Mandy is at the very top of the North Island living in the bush with limited service.
    CFD

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    @Friwi you are from Middle Earth, you should know all
    Sorry, I only know how to forge "false Damascus":-)
    madjon_ likes this.

Hey guys I got hold of Mandy,her new email address is jharrisltd@outlook.co.nz
    CFD

For a hunting knife, I advise caution with damascus steel.

Generally, the steels are blended for the look, rather than for their performance. Mostly they are low grade carbon steels.

If the steels are of high quality and blended with some science and thought they will be at the top end of the knife price brackets. Because they are time consuming to make - lots of welding and forging.

I've tried a few, and always been disappointed.

The good blended/sandwich steels like some Japanese makers use (and Mora and Fallkniven) are quite different to damascus. These are mostly good.

If you like the look of damascus, go for it. But a good single steel blade will likely be better at less cost.

As an example if I wanted to get a bar of O1 carbon tool steel, about 4 mm thick, 40 mm wide then it comes in 500 mm lengths, then I would have enough steel to do two knives and I would probably get enough change from $40 to buy me a cup of coffee...if I wanted in get the same piece in damasteel which is high quality Damascus steel made with top notch powder stainless steels in Sweden then I would be looking at coughing up around $750...

I am sure there are cheaper options, a good blacksmith could make you some, but there is also junk out there. It does look good, some of it performs well, but modern day steel has known properties and tolerances, as well as well understood heat treating science to get the best qualities from your steel.

As a side note, if someone wants a good O1 tool steel knife I am happy to make them one, drop me a line.

Shelley

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Hattori makes high end damascus hunting knives with Cowry X as the core, and VG10 as the damascus layers. VG10 is a high end true stainless steel, Cowry X is an ultra high end stain resistant steel. Small knives (100mm blade, 200mm overall, simple profile) are around $600 USD, large knives (130mm blade, 260mm overall, complex profile) goes up to $3,500 USD. see Hattori Hana

Name:  kd-1.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  63.1 KB

Rockstead makes ATS 34 (similar to VG10) cladding with ZDP-189 core (similar to Cowry X), but no damascus look. they are around $3,200 to $3,600 USD. See Rockstead Un

Name:  RSUNZDPKINCYAa.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  77.2 KB

These are as high end as they come.

However, you can get damascus Hitachi White Steel (tough, high purity carbon steel, non-stainless) knives for as low as $150 USD. Still very high quality steel, but much lower price.

Name:  Img2.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  236.4 KB

Only issue is that they are not made in New Zealand.