Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Kannad safelink

Kannad safelink

Hay guys

Anyone got one of these?

kannad-safelink-solo-plb-gps

They use the 406MHZ thats the normal Nz one eh?

Super small size.

Cheers
    Shane

Not that one but have a spot device, heard recently that it took 3 hours from setting it off o nz police hearing about it. Got a plb recently, both have different uses I guess

Have you looked at the kti ones?
    My cooee bay sells them, awesome service, coded to nz, small , 10 yrbattery
    gadgetman and CooeeBay like this.
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

Quote Originally Posted by Kooza View Post
    no i havnt mate

Cheers
    Will cheek it out

Quote Originally Posted by Kooza View Post
    Bought two through them after the first was stolen! Think the website is skippers mate.co.au really happy with it came with hardware, armband and neck lanyard so plenty of mounting option.

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    no i havnt mate

Cheers
    Will cheek it out
    I've got one if you want to have a look before you shell out Shane. Can definitely recommend my cooee bay, great service and best pricing I could find.
    CooeeBay likes this.
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

Kannad is a top manufacturer of PLB's and ELT's. They make everything from the small personal locators to the mega-bucks versions used in aviation so you can be confident of their quality and their ability to work when you need them to. I personally own one of their PLB's as well as an ELB.

No matter which PLB you decide to buy, do some groundwork and ask about the cost of battery replacement. Unfortunately, for most PLB'S the present cost of battery renewal is close to the cost of initial purchase. Basically this means that these units are pretty much a throw-away item when the battery life expires. That's fine if you're happy to shell out 4 or 5 large notes every 7 or 8 years... but I struggle with that concept.

In respect to operating frequency - Yes, 406 is what you need. If it also transmits on 121.5 then even better but it's not necessary. I noticed one company was marketing a PLB that transmitted on 121.5 for a few seconds every 5 minutes but I feel that could be confusing to a searching helicopter and possibly hinder efforts to find you in mountainous terrain. A good 406 PLB and a strong light-source is a far better bet.

Why the light-source? Because searching for lost or injured people can actually be easier to do at night. Night-vision goggles can pick up even a weak light source from several kilometers away. Assuming the rescuers are equipped with them of course.

In terms of the response time, don't expect to hear a helicopter hovering over you within minutes. When a beacon is activated nothing happens until a satellite passes overhead and picks up your signal. If you're in Auckland that might be within a few minutes but if you're laying at the bottom of a steep gut in Fiordland where the only satellite "visible" to the PLB passes overhead once every hour, then you could be waiting a while. I understand that the rescue coordinators are only alerted after "confirmation" of activation... that means on the first pass of the satellite people just sit up and pay attention, but nothing happens until the second satellite confirms the activation is still present. After that people start running around waving their hands and making phone calls. First call is to your nominated number... maybe the wife or employer? Then to the second nominated number if the first doesn't answer. After finding out you're really out in the hills, not sitting by the TV at home... then and probably only then, they push the panic button. Add the time to get a team together, equip a helicopter for a rescue mission, brief the team and get airborne... 3 hours is a realistic period of time you'll be laid up in a freezing cold gut suffering from excruciating pain. My brief to my son when demonstrating how to use the PLB was to expect help the following morning, soon after daybreak. Anything earlier than that would be a godsend.

Good luck with the shopping and I trust you'll never have the misfortune to use it in desperation.
    Last edited by planenutz; 16-08-2016 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by planenutz View Post
    ...Basically this means that these units are pretty much a throw-away item when the battery life expires. That's fine if you're happy to shell out 4 or 5 large notes every 7 or 8 years...
    Not quite, 300 max and mine has a 10 year battery life. In 10years I will have either broken, used or lost it! And in 10years I hope they will have come down in price even more
    gadgetman, Pengy and CooeeBay like this.

Yep, I don't doubt that at all 223nut, but some are more expensive than others to repair. I've been told mine will cost $575 to have the battery replaced. As you can guess, I'll be buying a new one for less than that.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Not quite, 300 max and mine has a 10 year battery life. In 10years I will have either broken, used or lost it! And in 10years I hope they will have come down in price even more
    +1

The kti is just slightly bigger than the RescueMe but floats un-aided and with that battery life and warranty it is hard to beat.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Kannad is a top manufacturer of PLB's and ELT's. They make everything from the small personal locators to the mega-bucks versions used in aviation so you can be confident of their quality and their ability to work when you need them to. I personally own one of their PLB's as well as an ELB.

No matter which PLB you decide to buy, do some groundwork and ask about the cost of battery replacement. Unfortunately, for most PLB'S the present cost of battery renewal is close to the cost of initial purchase. Basically this means that these units are pretty much a throw-away item when the battery life expires. That's fine if you're happy to shell out 4 or 5 large notes every 7 or 8 years... but I struggle with that concept.

In respect to operating frequency - Yes, 406 is what you need. If it also transmits on 121.5 then even better but it's not necessary. I noticed one company was marketing a PLB that transmitted on 121.5 for a few seconds every 5 minutes but I feel that could be confusing to a searching helicopter and possibly hinder efforts to find you in mountainous terrain. A good 406 PLB and a strong light-source is a far better bet.

Why the light-source? Because searching for lost or injured people can actually be easier to do at night. Night-vision goggles can pick up even a weak light source from several kilometers away. Assuming the rescuers are equipped with them of course.

In terms of the response time, don't expect to hear a helicopter hovering over you within minutes. When a beacon is activated nothing happens until a satellite passes overhead and picks up your signal. If you're in Auckland that might be within a few minutes but if you're laying at the bottom of a steep gut in Fiordland where the only satellite "visible" to the PLB passes overhead once every hour, then you could be waiting a while. I understand that the rescue coordinators are only alerted after "confirmation" of activation... that means on the first pass of the satellite people just sit up and pay attention, but nothing happens until the second satellite confirms the activation is still present. After that people start running around waving their hands and making phone calls. First call is to your nominated number... maybe the wife or employer? Then to the second nominated number if the first doesn't answer. After finding out you're really out in the hills, not sitting by the TV at home... then and probably only then, they push the panic button. Add the time to get a team together, equip a helicopter for a rescue mission, brief the team and get airborne... 3 hours is a realistic period of time you'll be laid up in a freezing cold gut suffering from excruciating pain. My brief to my son when demonstrating how to use the PLB was to expect help the following morning, soon after daybreak. Anything earlier than that would be a godsend.

Good luck with the shopping and I trust you'll never have the misfortune to use it in desperation.
    Ummmm. The 406MHz is the satellite communication frequency and the 121.5MHz is the terrestrial homing signal and you do want both. Talking to the guys in the rescue choppers they like that homing signal very much, though the signal can bounce around gorges, ravines and the likes.
    Pengy and CooeeBay like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I'm happy to stick with my original statement - "if it has 121.5 then even better" - but not all PLB's come with that option and it's not entirely necessary. Desirable, yes, but not a deal-breaker so long as the GPS function of your PLB is accurate. Personally I want both. Naturally this can add to cost and weight so it's always a balancing act. In my opinion the perfect PLB hasn't made it to the market yet.

I agree with you Gadgetman - chopper crews do like having the 121.5 signal. Unfortunately its limitations (such as you suggest) are exactly why we now use satellite GPS systems. It can be very effective for closing in on the location of the beacon especially if the helicopter is equipped with homing gear, but very few non-dedicated EMS machines have this fitted. That leaves the pilot with having to pop over ridges and back to find where the signal drops out in order to determine your position... and this is why I believe having a PLB that intermittently transmits a signal on 121.5 could potentially hinder a search.

At the end of the day you buy what you can afford and having something is infinitely better than having nothing. The point of my post was to make people aware of some traps so you can look past the glossy brochure and marketing hype and ask the right questions prior to handing over your hard earned cash. I hope I've at least achieved that.

I'm happy to stick with my original statement - "if it has 121.5 then even better" - but not all PLB's come with that option and it's not entirely necessary. Desirable, yes, but not a deal-breaker so long as the GPS function of your PLB is accurate. Personally I want both. Naturally this can add to cost and weight so it's always a balancing act. In my opinion the perfect PLB hasn't made it to the market yet.

I agree with you Gadgetman - chopper crews do like having the 121.5 signal. Unfortunately its limitations (such as you suggest) are exactly why we now use satellite GPS systems. It can be very effective for closing in on the location of the beacon especially if the helicopter is equipped with homing gear, but very few non-dedicated EMS machines have this fitted. That leaves the pilot with having to pop over ridges and back to find where the signal drops out in order to determine your position... and this is why I believe having a PLB that intermittently transmits a signal on 121.5 could potentially hinder a search.

At the end of the day you buy what you can afford and having something is infinitely better than having nothing. The point of my post was to make people aware of some traps so you can look past the glossy brochure and marketing hype and ask the right questions prior to handing over your hard earned cash. I hope I've at least achieved that.
    I'm not aware of any AU/NZ Standards approved PLB that does not have both frequencies. I would love to know which ones don't and will be referring the matter to AMSA Canberra / RCCNZ Wellington.

As for: "No matter which PLB you decide to buy, do some groundwork and ask about the cost of battery replacement. Unfortunately, for most PLB'S the present cost of battery renewal is close to the cost of initial purchase. Basically this means that these units are pretty much a throw-away item when the battery life expires. That's fine if you're happy to shell out 4 or 5 large notes every 7 or 8 years... but I struggle with that concept."

The KTi unit has a 10 year battery replacement and the unit itself has a 20 year approved life, so the cost of battery changeover for another 10 years is bugger all... If you're paying 4 or 5 large notes, you're crazy. If so, I'll send you my bank details and you can make a donation to my 5 day walk around Milford Sound in November. The Skippersmate.co.nz site has them for NZ$310.

With the new satellite systems going operational next year, location and beacon detection will be more rapid for NZ and the southern region of the South Island.

Check out these stories:
    New Satellite Stations by Maritime NZ and Australian (AMSA)

New satellite system saves the day (light) for injured tramper

If I can help anyone, just message me.
    gadgetman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    Hay guys

Anyone got one of these?

kannad-safelink-solo-plb-gps

They use the 406MHZ thats the normal Nz one eh?

Super small size.

Cheers
    Shane
    5 year battery for $441, that's $88.20 per year! "Tell him he's dreamin'..."

So on the ACR whats the difference between the red and blue?
    Cheers
    Shane