Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SiB
  • 1 Post By SiB

Thread: Kerosine / Paraffin???

SiB

Kerosine / Paraffin???

I've acquired a couple of the old Primus kerosene pressure stoves, to add to my Tilley pressure lanterns.

I've always just used good old garage kerosene in them; but I see some suppliers stocking "smokeless paraffin lamp oil".

Is it better?

Frankly I'm perfectly happy with kerosene, but I always thought Kero and paraffin were the same.

Anybody know?

And why do I have them? They're shiny. They make noise and heat. And in the zombie apocalypse they'll work after the power and lpg is out (if I have duel of course lol)
    P38 likes this.

SiB
    Bump

By law, you are required to turn on your headlights if it's raining in Sweden.

How the hell am I supposed to know if it's raining in Sweden?

SiB
    Awesome! Thank you.

I'll switch to paraffin then. Blacked glass is a pain lol
    TheJanitar likes this.

There are several sorts of kero's/paraffins, years ago (2006 I think) a visiting yacht that relied soley on paraffin for cooking and lighting "ran out" in Bluff. I was able to source a low aliphatics paraffin from a place on the West Coast (who sold it to some crowd in the food industry).

Anyhoo the take home message is that if you're using a kero/paraffin device in close quarters, its a lot nicer if you can find low aliphatics fuel. In Invercargill you can get bulk kerosene (almost certainly not low aliphatic) from Fulton Hogan (they have bowser, take a container) and its way under half what you'll pay at a hardware store.

SiB
    I've since learned that the fuel I want is "fuelite". I can get it direct from the lab/wholesaler ex Ak for just a tad more than retail kero.

The fun part is I have a police form to complete as apparently it blips on the druggie radar lol. Nothing us respectable FAL holders can't cope with......

So pending the paperwork I will be sorted come the zombie apocalypse lol