Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: knife help

knife help

looking at one knife that will do everything well maybe a svord 870BB ? my knife knowledge is lacking all suggestions welcome

Svord Main Menu

Im pretty happy with my zedteq
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Name:  Swiss army knife.jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  24.3 KB
    Just putting it out there!
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

R93
    If you want a good knife that will last you forever and do everything, I would get hold of John Worthington, a member here.
    He has made me a knife that has lasted thousands of uses and it should get thousands more.
    I fuss over it more than I do any other bit of gear I have.
    I am usless at sharpening knives in general, but I manage to keep his one good enough to shave with.

Quote Originally Posted by turner nz View Post
    looking at one knife that will do everything well maybe a svord 870BB ? my knife knowledge is lacking all suggestions welcome

Svord Main Menu
    The steel is good quality and will hold its edge well. The shape is personal preference so I can't really comment on it.

Get a good quality knife like any of the above and with a little care it will last a lifetime.

I don't really like the 870 shape unless you happened to be doing a lot of pighunting, and even then a long straight length of blade is not all that usefull, often I'd find myself wanting a seperate skinning knife with an 870 style of blade.

For general work see my knife in this thread http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...html#post36229 - you won't get another one of these but there are several similar shapes around including a Zedtech - While I haven't hung up as many sheep as a full time farmer might have I can still hold my own with any of my high country manager friends in that game, and my knife has ben provided for a pattern for them at least twice.

Sometime when I have a few spare $$ I'm going to get a new blade patterned off it myself, and will try to refine the shape to ever so slightly soften the transition from the heel to tip (some call this the "belly area of the blade)

Here is a picture of one that has very good blade shape, although I don't like the overall execution

Knife Anatomy, Parts, Names by Jay Fisher

Name:  KnifeAnatomyBLDNessmukgamma.jpg
Views: 1149
Size:  51.8 KB

Well I've got a Sog "Field Pup" - thought it was pretty sweet looking, Cam thinks maybe it's not so great very soft blade, dulls easy.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Kershaw Antelope Hunter II Knife - Black ONLY | Trade Me

I use one of these for general purpose and skinning, not an ideal pig sticker but great for most jobs, good sturdy blade and holds a good edge. The drop point is good for skinning, kershaw very underrated here but fantastic knives!

Caretaker

knife help

Mercator.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Thats not a knife!!!

Name:  knife.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  8.7 KB

This is a knife

I've got a Gerber Big Rock Camp Knife, thick strong blade and I'm amazed how well it keeps its edge. Better than other Gerbers I've used ◔_◔

thanks for the advice guys still doing research and understanding alot more, think i'm going to go for a smaller folding knife for small game etc like a buck 110 or gerber Metolius as you can pick them up from ebay cheap as chips, also what are the rules of importing knives as i read something about blade having to be 10cm or more ? may have read it wrong, on another note no idea what fixed blade knife to get yet but thanks tentman for the insight on the drop point style as not into pig hunting so dont need a straight blade. advice very much appreciated guys keep it coming

Importing on your person is a little different than unaccompanied, but still no butterfly knives or flick blades. You need an import order for a double bladed knife (like a pig sticker). Someone else here will know a bit more
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Buck Hunter 110 would see you right, my favourite knife. Have used in on Sambar, Red, Fallow, Rabbits, Peacocks, Pheasants, Ducks... etc.

Mine was given to me by my grandfather who found it while Salmon fishing down south many moons ago.

yeah think i'll get a 110 to start me off then look at something bigger later just wondering if i'll have any issues importing a 110 as the rules say you can import Any knife (excluding folding pocket knife with blade less than 10cm) that is designed for easy concealment on the body, or has a double-edged blade designed for stabbing/throwing, or
    Any knife known as ‘urban skinner’, ‘black eagle’, ‘terminator’, ‘black dagger’ or ‘throwing knife’. so looks like i'm 5mm short of being able to bring one in ?

Can I bring knives into New Zealand? | New Zealand Police

BUCK 110 FOLDING HUNTER KNIFE 420HC BLADE BRASS BOLSTERS ~NEW FB~ | eBay