Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: knife sharpening systems what do you use ?

A mate showed me his trick this weekend whilst on a hunt. Accu-sharp, the white/blue one - AccuSharp Knife Sharpeners - Sharpen Knives, Cutting Tools, Garden Tools, Scissors, Axes - AccuSharp Filet Knife Sharpener (010)
    Works dang well.
    I've always used oilstone/diamond file/diamond steel - but his way was so much faster for a similar (possibly better) end result

Quote Originally Posted by peril 787b View Post
    A mate showed me his trick this weekend whilst on a hunt. Accu-sharp, the white/blue one - AccuSharp Knife Sharpeners - Sharpen Knives, Cutting Tools, Garden Tools, Scissors, Axes - AccuSharp Filet Knife Sharpener (010)
    Works dang well.
    I've always used oilstone/diamond file/diamond steel - but his way was so much faster for a similar (possibly better) end result
    Those things DESTROY knives! After a while they get such a shoulder on them(the knife) that even that sharpener wont work anymore and you have to spend hours on the stone ripping the shoulder off.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

a wee tickleup on a quality oilstone and then a steel and thats all one should need......all these so called knife sharpeners serve to do is ruin good knives Name:  cellpix1 237.jpg
Views: 1241
Size:  289.5 KBName:  phone pictures lg etc 225.jpg
Views: 1261
Size:  271.0 KB
    EeeBees likes this.
    GUNS DON"T KILL PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!
    PEOPLE with PSYCHIATRIC PROBLEMS
    NEGLECTED by the HEALTH SYSTEM
    KILL PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by turner nz View Post
    I'm currently looking into the lansky knife sharpening system is it any good or is there one out there that better ?
    I have just purchased a Scary Sharp System saw it at the Sika show in Taupo last weekend very impressed not cheap but very good check out his website

I'd better not say what I mainly use, there would be tears.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinehunter0 View Post
    lovely knife...
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

In the Kitchen just to keep an edge on the knives I use a Warthog V Sharpener ( South African) has 2 Diamond stones that form a V that you can set a 17, 20, 25 degrees depending on what the knife is to be used for. My hunting knives I use a oil stone then touch up with a steel or Diamond steel. My wife sharpened a bread and Butter Knife that had no edge to the point where it would slice a tomato.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinehunter0 View Post
    a wee tickleup on a quality oilstone and then a steel and thats all one should need......all these so called knife sharpeners serve to do is ruin good knives Attachment 5478Attachment 5479
    such a pityyou cheapen the sense you speak with the shit written in red
    but for the grace of god there go you!
    ive had 44yrs in this field and heres a challenge put up or shut up!
    Tahr likes this.

Lansky and a leather strop board with some compound to make it very sharp. I use a buck flipstik in the field.
    The Wicked Sharp system is probably better than the lansky but its way pricier.

I sharpen freehand on waterstones but used an Edge Pro Apex for a couple of years before that. Great tool for learning the mechanics of sharpening and how different angles and grit levels affect how the knife cuts. Mine has been gathering dust lately so you are welcome to try it for as long as you want - PM me if interested.

I have various systems that I interchange, oil stones now only get used to put an initial edge on chisels and planes that I buy at the markets (good steel but usually some bastard has buggered the edge), Japanese water are good if slow, puts a nice polish on the blade but, diamonds I use if there is either damage or I need to remove a LOT of metal, then I go for ceramics, usually I end up going with the spyderco triangle sharpener thingy (takes practice, first few times I used it I took ok edges and made them completely blunt), then I strop with yellow compound on a piece of leather.

It takes time to put a good edge on a blade that will last, also depends a lot on the grind, steel and tempering done to it.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I'd better not say what I mainly use, there would be tears.
    Reading through all this, I'm beginning to think that I've been doing it all wrong.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  804.1 KB
    No wonder a knife only lasts around 3 months

Quote Originally Posted by oraki View Post
    Reading through all this, I'm beginning to think that I've been doing it all wrong.
    Attachment 56627
    No wonder a knife only lasts around 3 months
    My kitchen knives get run across the base of whatever crockery is at hand. Works a treat.
    oraki likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

To be fair, I do use a mixture of oil stone, steel and diamond stones for my hunting knives. Just find the angle grinder is quicker and handier for work knives. Plus the serrations left behind cut the silage wrap much easier

Edge Pro Apex to put the edge on my knives, and a ceramic steel to use between sharpening.