Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By gadgetman
  • 1 Post By Rushy
  • 1 Post By Beetroot
  • 1 Post By Moutere
  • 1 Post By veitnamcam

Thread: Larger Style Tents 3 to 4 Person

Larger Style Tents 3 to 4 Person

Looking to buy a tent for the camping, I want to do when weight is not the issue as 4WD to campsite
    then set up camp. Places like this Coromandel Block ..

Name:  IMG_1940.JPG
Views: 408
Size:  333.4 KB

Been looking at the OZTent RV-2 and Black Wolf Turbo 450 and even some older Canvas jobbies.
    Needs to contain two camp stretchers and have room for at least two packs plus shade out front for cooking and sitting in
    Needs to be OK in the wind as well and strong..

I have no experience with these types. Used would be fine for my budget as well

Any one have any suggestions ?

"This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Don't camp there mate, it floods all the time
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

make sure it can handle rain, camped for 6 years in a row at Hot Water beach and had only 1 7 day period over new years dry, the rest ranged from a min of 3-all days wet

Hamish
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

I've had a few OZTrail tents and they were good. Particularly my big one. What it didn't cope well with is someone rolling it all up with a smashed glass mug and jam in it.
    Happy likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Happy I have had a Kathmandu Retreat tent for ten years or so that is a four man tent (or is it five). It has done a lot of hard yards down at Minginui over the years, is easy to put up and pull down / pack away and it fits four camp stretchers with room for kit. I have had it up for up to ten days in some shitty weather and so long as I get the fly separation right, then moisture is not an issue. Wait til they have a sale though. Those buggers aren't cheap.
    Happy likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I too have a Kathmandu Retreat tent, it's the 280 model which officially is a 5 man tent, but I reckon could sleep 6-8 comfortably.
    I know it's probably too big, but I am extremely impressed with how well thought out the Kathmandu Retreat tents are.
    Mine is very well though out, with lots of places to hang lights, store things, run power and plenty of great ventilation.

Had it up in some heavy drizzle with all the windows and vents open and the design allowed the water to run off without getting inside.
    The tent is very easy to put up, and real sturdy with sturdy attachment points.

Haven't had it in super grotty weather, but I'd rely on it to stand up to the elements as good as any other large tent.
    Happy likes this.

I've been on remote camp jobs where we were in Black Wolf tents.
    Their quality is very impressive, these ones pitched literally in seconds.
    It was hot and dry though so I can't comment on their weather proofness for NZ.
    Happy likes this.

northdude
    im looking for something similar as well got a retreat 180 its a bit to big for what i want tho its a good family tent but found out after some constant rain the fkn thing leaks had a great outdoors harrier before that and that was the best tent ive ever had but dont think they make them any more starting to think along the lines of a kea3 or 4

Has anyone had any experience with the inflatable tents? Ie. Air tube instead of poles.

Pinnacle Great Outdoors tent | Trade Me The great outdoors dome tents although no longer manufactured are good tents, I have used the model down from this (forget what it is) for week long fly in roar trips in South westland for the last ten years and it has been great, still going strong, it was 2nd hand near new when I got it. These have plenty of poles some of the cheaper dome tents such as the kea 4 which I have seen have only two poles supporting the main section of the tent (plus 1 for vestibule) and are relatively flimsy. Get a piece of black PVC building plastic and cut a piece 1 foot bigger all round to make a tub floor for inside and another piece for a foot print saves the floor on shit ground or if folding stretchers are used which fcuk tent floors

Quote Originally Posted by Feebz View Post
    Has anyone had any experience with the inflatable tents? Ie. Air tube instead of poles.
    We have ccamped with family in a Zempire two room tent. Couldn't fault it at all, Set up once on the beach, used large rocks to tie down to and no pegs in the ground due to the sand. Had a strong breeze overnight and it didn't move. Very impressed overall. Price puts me off though

I suggest moving the shit out of the way before pitching whatever tent you end up getting.
    gadgetman likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Feebz View Post
    I bet that would fuk you right off once it springs a leak can't even make an air bed that stays up wouldnt waste my time with a blow up tent