Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Lightweight bivy bag

Lightweight bivy bag

Hi all,

I'm currently using a goretex bivvy bag (that is awesome) but feels overkill for using under a tarp. It weighs around 900g. I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend a lightweight bivvy bag, around 300grams??? I should be able to save half a kg here quite easily.

I've had an OR MicroNight bivvy in the past but it condensated quite badly.

I'm looking at the Terra Nova Moonlight/Survival/Discovery Lite bags but at 2m long I think they'll lack the length for my 6ft frame + allowing sleeping bag to loft etc.

Any opinions appreciated. Cheers in advance.

I'm tempted to flag a bivvy bag & instead make a cheap plastic bath-tub floor & focus on setting my tarp up in a weather-tight way. Bivvy just feels like good insurance & that's the only thing stopping me.

Outdoor Research Helium Bivy - Bivouac Online Store

not 300, but its ok

thought about using a tent? especially if your bivvy bag/groundsheet/fly is combined heavier than 1kg
    #BallisticFists

Thanks for the reply. A colleague has one of those bags & he rates it.

Definitely thought about a 1P tent, but thinking that a lightweight bivy & a polycro tarp would be ~500g all up.

Plastic Pack liner?

MSL
    Got a vaude bivvy, it's pretty tough and I can fit my pack in aswell
    nzvermin likes this.

Go for a breathable water resistant number if you want lightweight. Will keep the splash/spray and bugs off but still be fairly breathable. Not the ticket if you want the bivy to be used stand-alone but brilliant if you are always under a tarp. I use a borah gear bivy which weighs 200graks and has been very good

Know the feeling of a heavy bivy, got a army surplus one that weighs as much as my Kathmandu one man tent so following with interest
    Feebz likes this.

Yep I'm into this one too. I have the same bag as you feebz it's great but heavy. I've seen the vaude- v light and a good price. How is it for condensation MSL? The borah gear sounds great

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Go for a breathable water resistant number if you want lightweight. Will keep the splash/spray and bugs off but still be fairly breathable. Not the ticket if you want the bivy to be used stand-alone but brilliant if you are always under a tarp. I use a borah gear bivy which weighs 200graks and has been very good
    Definitely after a waterproof-breathable number, with a focus on breathable (& 'water resistant') rather than waterproof.

Just looked up the Borah - that looks like what I'm after. Just enough to keep wet misty stuff & spray off. I like how it doesn't bother with a waterproof face part as that's the part that is well covered by a tarp. You've found it to breath a-ok? No wet foot area on your sleeping bag? Is yours the argon or M50? I'm assuming its the Silnylon 30D floor rather than the Dyneema/Cuben?

Thanks.

I have a Bibler hooped bivy it weighs 700g the breathability is impressive and it's well made. You can just bring a big plastic rubbish sac to stick gear and boots in if using it rather than carry a fly. That cuben Bivy on the Borah website looks like it might fit the bill 117g!!! at that weight it would make a handy little emergency shelter to stick in the day pack, I'm pretty sure those big orange survival bags weigh more than that.

Yep I'm into this one too. I have the same bag as you feebz it's great but heavy. I've seen the vaude- v light and a good price. How is it for condensation MSL? The borah gear sounds great

If theres no mossies about I just go with a fly and ground sheet. If theres going to be mossies then i like a tent.
    I cant see the point of a bivy bag if you are going to take a fly as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Have a borah gear bivy as well, use it under a fly as one spot is prone for bad condensation,
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by WillB View Post
    It's not bad, I always try to tie a peak in it to create a bit of space above my face which allows me to leave it partially unzipped. If it's pissing down I use it upside down and prop it up with my pack or a handy branch. I use it as a standalone shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by Feebz View Post
    Definitely after a waterproof-breathable number, with a focus on breathable (& 'water resistant') rather than waterproof.

Just looked up the Borah - that looks like what I'm after. Just enough to keep wet misty stuff & spray off. I like how it doesn't bother with a waterproof face part as that's the part that is well covered by a tarp. You've found it to breath a-ok? No wet foot area on your sleeping bag? Is yours the argon or M50? I'm assuming its the Silnylon 30D floor rather than the Dyneema/Cuben?

Thanks.
    I have gotten a little condensation around the head end but none in the footbox that I have noticed, and its never been enough to dampen my bag or anything. It packs down to nothing also. I like it. Mine is the M90 top

I have the sil bottom and that seems to be holding up well.
    My only real complaint is that the pad does slip and slide on the sil a bit as it pretty slippery stuff, its not so bad I end up on the ground or anything though.