Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Looking to buy a 2 man tops Tent

Hey guys , hope all is well with you all.

Looking to buy a 2 man tops tent, will be lugging it a fair way so weight is half an issue, after something that is quality and will last and I can depend on.

Thoughts on the MSR range ?

Would appreciate any advice cheers
    You know, if you need 100 rounds to kill a deer, maybe hunting isn't your sport.

I went through a few hoops on this question a few years ago, was sort of set on a Macpac Olympus (they are a bit heavy but bulletproof, or at least used to be) but then needed a single man tent in hurry so got a One Planet Goondie (1P). It proved to be very good indeed, way better than the two "top name tents" I had borrowed for a previous trip.

So on that basis I got a Goondie 2 person job, with full winter lining i.e. minimal mesh which is what you need for South Is tops anyway. It has not let us down, been used in two trips with significant weather. Its a bit lighter than an Olympus, much less costly, and has good ergonomics. It has one design quirk that some people don't like - you have to pitch it inner first, and you can't use just the fly. I've never found it to be an issue.

hillenberg(spelling) google their tent. real light for what they are and bomb proof. i used to use them on 30 day expeditions when instructing

MSR range is very light, but only rated as a 3 season tent. You would need to find a sheltered campsite if high wind was expected. Also from what I've heard the floor is very thin and you have to use the footprint or something else under the tent to stop abrasion. The earlier version of MSR tents didn't have very good ventilation and apparently had a few condensation issues, the later NX(?) version has fixed this.
    This is a good review of some options The Best Backpacking Tent | OutdoorGearLab

I shopped around for the same last year and found the Freedom range was just as high quality as Macpac and MSR yet was 70% cheaper. I bought the Atmos and love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have got one of the older Olympus models from Macpac, I got it secondhand 8 years ago and it is still going strong. It has a rather roomy entrance which can be used as storage/food prep etc. Holds up well in the wind. I picked mine up for $250. Looking at the scales it is however 2.8kgs so maybe not something that you would consider.
    "Professionals are predictable but the world is full of dangerous amateurs"

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
    I have got one of the older Olympus models from Macpac, I got it secondhand 8 years ago and it is still going strong. It has a rather roomy entrance which can be used as storage/food prep etc. Holds up well in the wind. I picked mine up for $250. Looking at the scales it is however 2.8kgs so maybe not something that you would consider.
    Have the same tent. Can't find a replacement pole anywhere. I have one broken at a join and have to tape it up everytime I use it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

We use the same tent at work on occasion, bloody things get hammered. Anyway, we had two poles replaced through the Palmerston North Macpac store about 18 months ago (long story, a classic case of using the wrong tool for the job), don't recall the price as I don't pay the bill but they arrived in just under 2 weeks.
    "Professionals are predictable but the world is full of dangerous amateurs"

I looked around for ages for a tent that would fit my requirements, I wanted a tent that was 2 person, lightweight, most of all compact, had storage space outside the fly for two peoples packs etc yet under the outer canopy, and not overly expensive.
    I found the main problem with most light weight tents were the pole lengths limited its ability to be compact, I wanted to be able to put it in a day bag

I ended up buying the Exped Mira 2 from Bivouac when they had a tent sale on, Exped Mira II Tent - Bivouac Online Store

it weighs 2KG and packs down to 42 x 15cm which fits into my day bag for light weight overnight hunts, this tent takes up less room than my fly and bivvy bag does
    the only problem I have had (which you will get with any tent) is that I hunt with a dog which also sleeps in the tent (coz I can) ,and since the ground sheet is relatively light weight (though not as thin as some) I ended up putting a sheet of polythene inside the tent to prevent the dogs claws making holes in the floor, It still packs up small and I havent needed a ground sheet.

Hunt around the shops first especially before buying online so you know what your getting!!!

+1 on the freedom tent range - I have a couple and have found the quality actually very good especially considering the price point. My ATMOS has done multiple Fiordland trips now and never missed a beat. Able to be pitched fly only which is great in better weather and in places away from the bugs. On special for $250 atm at hunting and fishing which is a total bargain.

TJM
    I bought the MSR NX2, very light but I got a footprint for it to save the floor