Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Looking for a new pack

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    @Ryan_Songhurst @199p has mean light exped pack that he rates, can see one in my future for next summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah mate i was really impressed with the pack ( except breaking the clip ) Its a 55L i think but has heaps of room and because of the strapping system you can put a lot securely on the outside of the pack if needed.
    We pushed through some very shitty tops scrub and no wear on the pack at all.

I have a lightning 60L, had it out for quite a few walks just got back from thrashing round the kaimais for 4 days. Did a bunch of good old fashioned of track kaimai scrub bashing with it and it held up sweet. Wasn't as noisy as I would have thought either. I rate it.

Kaimai load haul mode
    Name:  20160421_142835.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  1.19 MB

There is a thunder 70l which is the same but slightly larger and heavier 1.5kg on tardme at the moment. $300 landed
    EXPED THUNDER 70L BACKPACK (BLACK) | Trade Me

Foray

this is mine, i rate it, i wouldnt go away from canvas

i got mine off the 2nds shelf for under half price 3 or 4 years ago
    kiwijames and sambnz like this.
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Quote Originally Posted by Smiddy View Post
    Foray

A mate has one of them and they are very nice and quite tempted to get one I just wonder about the weight of it, I suppose I could take the benefits of a more modern harness system and try save some grams somewhere else

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Foray

Same. Must of had a run of seconds around that time. I can't pick what it was though as mine is fine. I think it had a loop missed on the waist belt or something I would never use.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    A mate has one of them and they are very nice and quite tempted to get one I just wonder about the weight of it, I suppose I could take the benefits of a more modern harness system and try save some grams somewhere else
    I actually thought they were light weight lol,
    Last thing you want to do is go super light and have it fuck out like a lot of super lite stuff does these days, South Island alpine is hard on gear
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Same. Must of had a run of seconds around that time. I can't pick what it was though as mine is fine. I think it had a loop missed on the waist belt or something I would never use.
    Yea mine was missing a strap and had bird shit on it haha

I actually thought they were light weight lol,
    Last thing you want to do is go super light and have it fuck out like a lot of super lite stuff does these days, South Island alpine is hard on gear
    Thats the thing that worries me about the lighter nylon type material, it seems like the kind of stuff that will continue to rip pretty rapidly if you manage to poke a hole in it, my old Fairydown has had everykind of abuse thrown at it, its even fallen off the back of my truck and bounced/skidded along the road as I drove through Franz Josef township, and its still strong as ever and has never ripped or anything so I really want that kind of durability, a nicer more modern harness system, and save a few grams. All thse suggestions are good food for thought...

Most modern ripstop style fabrics are pretty strong to near impossible to tear, but are a bit more prone to abrasion or puncture. There is a trade of but I don't think its as big as many people make it out to be. The expeds have a dyneema weave ripstop. That stuff is ridiculously strong, have a read up on it.

MSL
    What about a k2 alpine
    sometimes likes this.

I have had the aether 60 for a few months now done 3 overnighters and 8 days in fiordland. So far it's holding up well and comfy under load. I brought it because of being reasonabley light weight,good compression system, removable lid and lifetime warranty.

Anyone using a Lowe Alpine pack? I went and tried a few packs while I was in town the other day, Tatonka, Exped, North Face, Mountain Designs, and a few others, I decided I would have a play with them all then look at the prices, I quite liked the Lowe Alpine pack and low and behold it was the cheapest of the lot at only $300

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Haha I was talking to someone about this the other day mate, my mums got a couple of donkeys, useless bloody things just stand around eating and making obscenely loud noises every now and then, reckon I should grab one and put it to work.
    Hey Ryan_Songhurst at least if you get skunked on your trip you would have something to eat at the end....have you ever tyres to use a donkey as a pack horse go on try it, mind you you will have to dress the little buggers up in blaze our they might end up in the freezer any ways

When I buy new pack I take all my gear into the shop and then pack it into the pack I'm looking at. Yep I get a few strange looks at first but then once I tell them what I'm doing they all say that's a bloody good idea.
    It tells me if the pack is big enough and gives you a good idea of how it going to feel loaded up on your back rather than just throwing in a few sleeping bags in the store to fill the pack