Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Macpac seamsealing

Macpac seamsealing

So when I planned this trip I asked the, issue to grab my 1 man Kathmandu tent for me and bring it back south.... She managed to grab the brand new Macpac minaret (they do look very similar so she has a an excuse) now I have the wonderful job of seam sealing it.... Just been doing a bit of googling and discovered it ain't that easy. To start with you need to stretch it out tight, great do it in the living room in front of the fire, nope need to peg it out!!

Waiting for Macpac to get back to me but has anyone on here had a go at it?

Got a tube of sil nylon applicable stuff but don't want it to look like a bird cramped all over it before I even use the damn thing

Did it once a few years back. Wasn't too bad. I pitched the fly inside out in the lounge. Think I used furniture and safety pins in the carpet to pitch it tight. Mind you it was a flat of outdoor geeks so no one cared.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    So when I planned this trip I asked the, issue to grab my 1 man Kathmandu tent for me and bring it back south.... She managed to grab the brand new Macpac minaret (they do look very similar so she has a an excuse) now I have the wonderful job of seam sealing it.... Just been doing a bit of googling and discovered it ain't that easy. To start with you need to stretch it out tight, great do it in the living room in front of the fire, nope need to peg it out!!

Waiting for Macpac to get back to me but has anyone on here had a go at it?

Got a tube of sil nylon applicable stuff but don't want it to look like a bird cramped all over it before I even use the damn thing
    Did one just after Christmas. Erected the fly inside out on the back lawn and painted on the silicon. Note that it goes on the inside so still looks good from the outside. Think if I was doing it again I'd put the sealant into another container and thin it down a bit.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Ejected
    It's easy as. Just a 50-50 mix of silicone (must be 100% pure silicone, which is easy to find at Bunnings etc) and turps. I did mine on the outside and you can hardly notice it. Mix it in a cup sized container & paint it on. Needs a bit of time to dry, I just got some talcum powder & chucked it on it to make double sure it wasn't sticky for when I repacked it.

Also do a few strips on the inside on the floor so your inflatable mattress doesn't slide around.

Mine's a tarptent and they have a good vid on it here.

Tarptent Videos

It's down the bottom titled "How to seam seal"

Just found an awesome you tube clip of a guy in the UK doing one. Inside job isn't really an option sadly @stug missus is not an outdoor nut and since its her house.... (wait till winter and we R at the Bach!) @gadgetman this guy used a syringe and brush seamed.... To go really well.

Going to have to wait for a fine day and peg it outside, then chuck it in the shed to dry, the UK fellow also recommended to put talcum powder on the sealant afterwards to stop it sticking to anything else.

The tube says to both inside and out.... Now I'm confused

@Ricochet have heard of that mix, might try it with an older tent not something brand new. Strips on the floor is a damn good idea.

Tempted just to do my goretex Amy surplus bivy bag and take that, 1800m a.s.l. In the middle of may.... With a dog to keep me warm... Vs carrying a 2person tent and the extra weight... Hmm. Tough call

Ejected
    Inside is unnecessary. The outside is easier & my little 900gm tarptent has never leaked and it's been out in shit like we're having now lol.

Tauranga SAR only practice in storms apparently. It's fucking horrible.

Edit - The mix I suggested is what those flash tubes have in them bro, honestly, it dries clear and works perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Inside is unnecessary. The outside is easier & my little 900gm tarptent has never leaked and it's been out in shit like we're having now lol.

Tauranga SAR only practice in storms apparently. It's fucking horrible.

Edit - The mix I suggested is what those flash tubes have in them bro, honestly, it dries clear and works perfectly.
    That is what I would no next time.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Ejected
    Did it with my macpac microlite or whatever it is not long ago. Easy as. I put on a latex glove and applied it with my finger. Had no idea what I was doing, went well, looks good, tent sealed perfectly first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_ View Post
    Did it with my macpac microlite or whatever it is not long ago. Easy as. I put on a latex glove and applied it with my finger. Had no idea what I was doing, went well, looks good, tent sealed perfectly first time.
    Sweet will give it a shot once he weather fines up.... Got 3 weeks till I need to use it so surely there will be a fine day thought looking at the weather tonight not this week

In this age you have to seem deal your own tents, when I did mine I rung them up and told them what I thought...... Why isn't this done from the factory?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Quote Originally Posted by Smiddy View Post
    In this age you have to seem deal your own tents, when I did mine I rung them up and told them what I thought...... Why isn't this done from the factory?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Their excuse is they don't know how long it will sit on the shelf.... Bet it's going to sit in my toy cupboard longer than their shelf.

Only going to do outside, the minaret has the pole sleeves on the inside of the fly so would be tricky getting it inside out

I've never seam sealed a tent I've bought and have never had one leak
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    I've never seam sealed a tent I've bought and have never had one leak
    Better safe than sorry... Only need to do it once and if they say it needs doing I figure I might as well spend a few hours doing it.
    Biggun708 likes this.

Yeah fair enough
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.