Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Military rucksacks

I can vouch for the brit bergens/ British Infantry DPM PLCE Pack. I have my one from my brit service and cant fault them for the outdoors. used to have mine packed to almost bust and still going strong after a few tours

I've got a french one I used as a day bag it was ok full of meat. You can borrow it for a try if you want.

Name:  13882236_10154243948077110_3004153094697212469_n.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  104.7 KB

I decided to go a Mystery Ranch Overload. I've used the UK issue Bergen when I was in the services over there and I wasn't a big fan of them (lousy carry straps, no lumbar support, generic fit but they were rugged and very spacious) as well as many, many Camelbaks but unfortunately they don't get any bigger than about 40 litres. I also have an Eberlestock J-79 Skycrane but have fallen out of love with it as they're extremely limted when it comes to attaching hydration... My MR Overload is the best pack I've owned by far as it's modular frame is second to none (and compatible with other MR pack bodies) and I prefer the Tri-Zip design over top loaders as it makes it's easy to access your gear inside the pack without having a kit explosion on the deck or forest floor while you rummage around for a flashlight -_- ... I also found that having a Camelbak Armorbak 3L bladder as an external carry (as pictured) was much more efficient and accessible than the internal carry you would have with a BFM & Motherlode or in the flap lid which drives you mad with the 'slosh-slosh' noise in your ear.... But what's really interesting about the MR Overload and the main selling point for me is the expanding load shelf which allows you to pack meat or a rifle in between the main pack body and frame. Check it out on Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzEhqBt2QFc

They're currently issued to the UK SAS & USMC Scout Snipers but I think they have a real place with hunters. Yes it's pricey and somewhat on the heavy side (about 3kg but you don't feel it) but if you buy from Military Gear they're listing them at an amazing price that's on par with what they sell for in the US:
    Mystery Ranch NICE Trizip Overload Multicam - Military Gear
    Last edited by Loyal2no1; 04-09-2016 at 02:23 PM.
    grunzter likes this.

Have a motherload and happy wit it, camel ask goe in a separate pouch against your back. Thrashed it for 6months or so and not a scratch. Crick with bladders is to tip them upside down and get rid of any air no sloshing them!

Quote Originally Posted by Loyal2no1 View Post
    Attachment 55103

I decided to go a Mystery Ranch Overload. I've used the UK issue Bergen when I was in the services over there and I wasn't a big fan of them (lousy carry straps, no lumbar support, generic fit but they were rugged and very spacious) as well as many, many Camelbaks but unfortunately they don't get any bigger than about 40 litres. I also have an Eberlestock J-79 Skycrane but have fallen out of love with it as they're extremely limted when it comes to attaching hydration... My MR Overload is the best pack I've owned by far as it's modular frame is second to none (and compatible with other MR pack bodies) and I prefer the Tri-Zip design over top loaders as it makes it's easy to access your gear inside the pack without having a kit explosion on the deck or forest floor while you rummage around for a flashlight -_- ... I also found that having a Camelbak Armorbak 3L bladder as an external carry (as pictured) was much more efficient and accessible than the internal carry you would have with a BFM & Motherlode or in the flap lid which drives you mad with the 'slosh-slosh' noise in your ear.... But what's really interesting about the MR Overload and the main selling point for me is the expanding load shelf which allows you to pack meat or a rifle in between the main pack body and frame. Check it out on Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzEhqBt2QFc

They're currently issued to the UK SAS & USMC Scout Snipers but I think they have a real place with hunters. Yes it's pricey and somewhat on the heavy side (about 3kg but you don't feel it) but if you buy from Military Gear they're listing them at an amazing price that's on par with what they sell for in the US:
    Mystery Ranch NICE Trizip Overload Multicam - Military Gear
    Awesome pack mate, if I didn't already have a Tatonka I would seriously look into getting one of those......
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by thejavelin View Post
    I've got one of these GC ones - and for what it is I'm impressed.
    MOLLE II Patrol Pack Woodland Camo
    Just for the times when I'm not far from the car in some private land I have access too - just need a jacket, lunch, and some water - works well.

I'd not swap it for my day pack though...... its just for a few hrs.

That's what I use for a day pack......won it on a $1 reserve TM auction for $19........
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Have a motherload and happy wit it, camel ask goe in a separate pouch against your back. Thrashed it for 6months or so and not a scratch. Crick with bladders is to tip them upside down and get rid of any air no sloshing them!
    I have on old Motherlode in USMC desert Marpat from '08 and still running it! The ML's are a great daysack and I'm huge fan of it's larger brother the BFM plus all the rest (I must have about half dozen Camelbak packs of some sort including the Delta-5 chest rig they brought out a few years back at any one time) but they really do need to get into the 50+ litre patrol packs though...
    Last edited by Loyal2no1; 05-09-2016 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    Awesome pack mate, if I didn't already have a Tatonka I would seriously look into getting one of those......
    Cheers Scouser (or should I say 'Lah!' ;-) Lol)
    They're a great pack and however I will say that the MR Overload is borderline complex (as packs go) and they could even do with a larger main body which is about 50 litres.... Review to follow sometime soon! So what type of Tatonka do you have? Post some pics plz!!!
    Last edited by Loyal2no1; 05-09-2016 at 01:15 AM.