Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: New Dive computer

plus one for the suunto cobra, mean piece of gear.

Just tuck the gauge hose into the front strap of your BCD, that way its always at your guts and not trailing behind.

I've found a weight intergrated BCD as a waste of time, It's easier having the weight in a belt so you can throw it over the side of the boat when getting back in, makes handling the BCD in the boat easier and you can put your BCD on in the water easier.

I'd like to get a BCD with the built in Octi, the Octi pisses me off but haven't got the balls to take it off.

@vietnamcam I did the open water course a few years ago and to be honest it was a waste of money, get a book and learn the theory then go out with a mate. Diving is piss easy.
    @Toby go get your lead from the scrap metal dealer, will be about $1 per kilo, our one up here puts specific dive weights aside.

I never use a computer as I never do more than 3 dives in a day and don't go below 35m, I just make sure I do a decom stop on at least the last dive. But I'm quite iggnorant of computers.

Just my 2c

R93
    Didn't think you could hire gear or fill tanks with out an open water cert.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Didn't think you could hire gear or fill tanks with out an open water cert.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Not sure about the hiring of gear but you can definitely fill tanks up here in Whangarei without one, I wouldn't have a clue where mine is.

Do the open water course as it is worth every cent go through all the safety drills mask off under water gear off etc well worth it. I tend to use a separate weight belt with pockets so its easy to cast blocks of lead and fit in and easy to remove if not using tanks.
    I also tuck my gauges under my BDC straps to keep them out of the way. I'm sure everyone does different things but they do show you all of this on your course and more.

Only being asked once, in Blenhiem about 10 yrs ago. Overseas it's alot more policed.

My 2 cents worth.

The reason there is a heap of gear on trade me.
    1) your doing a dive course and it's a package deal and when finished the boat or transport is not as easy to come by as you thought.
    2) you do the dive course and think you will join a club etc and then kids, time, weather, confidence gets in the way.
    3) you finish your dive course and find your local dive sites are barren as and getting to furtile grounds is either very difficult or expensive.
    4)You do dive course (or maybe not) buy some gear head out and get into a nasty situation... you get a hell of a scare and think this may not be the sport for you.
    5)your wettie shrinks and you need to replace it.

I've dived for a bit now and out of 14 people on my course I am the only one still diving. I would really recomend that you be really sure you are in for the long haul before purchasing all the gear...it is alot more cost effective to hire it two or three times a year than have it sitting in the garage.

I'm not sure what a course detail contains now but all I will say is some pool work and two open water dives gives you some basic experince. Build up your diving confidence, get a good boatman and dive buddy, have a plan and stick to it. Diving is piss easy.... that said i've got myself and seen others get themselves into the shit just a easily.

There's nothing more alarming than having a dive buddy swimming at you eyes wide in panic and ripping you mouth piece out of your mouth because they've not watched /checked there contents. They will not give it back as self preservation is a very strong instint. Or a dive buddy pull there reg out at 30 meters and grin stupidly at you because they have nightrogen narcoisis.
    I could go on about crays at the back of holes, not dropping a weight belt etc..

Diving is a amazing sport but like everything it requires to be treated with respect.
    Savage1 likes this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

My 2 cents worth ... I dive better than I hunt.

I have a sunnto Dive computor great bit of kit feel very safe with it example...

If my surface interval isn't long enough .... The computor wont even turn on.
    If I ascend too quickly it will beep telling me to slow down.
    Tells me when and how long I need to do a decompression stop

Dont buy an air intergrated computor. As this can happen, on holiday no dive shops around for miles oh shit computor has fucked it self , or battery is dead ... If you have air intergrated thats your holiday dive trips over !!!

If you dont have a air intergrated and you trust your buddy stay at his depth and you can still see how much air you have in your tank/cylinder.

Toby I prefer a one peice it 7mm on body and 5 mm on arms and legs... Ill use that all year round but will add a vest in winter.

A 2 peice is too much rubber for me , makes me feel costrifobic, and hot 5mm on each peice = 10mm total

i used to fish around for the dangly thing to check my stats
    now i just tuck it between my front bcd strap and body and its right there when i need it
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

How much are custom suits?

I've been looking at this Moray Commando Camo Package - Dive Packages - Ocean Hunter

But I doubt the suit will fit. I'm 187cm tall but only a puss nuts 61kg so my weight for height doesn't work out.

The Original Striker
    the uncle uses a top of the line Sunnto seems to work ok, until it shit it self at 25m one day. being replaced IIRC despite being cared for well
    the other uncle brought a sunnto cobra 3 but the previous owner hadnt cared for it at all. couldnt be fixed
    mean while Im still using my grand fathers aqualung side vent regs and gauges from 35 years ago

the one thing I forgot to say was I have a weight integrated bcd now, when I started (first deep cray dive) I didnt and my tank came loose, easy to slip out of the bcd and tighten up your tank.
    Its a damn sight harder to fix with no weights on ya guts
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post

I've been looking at this Moray Commando Camo Package - Dive Packages - Ocean Hunter

But I doubt the suit will fit. I'm 187cm tall but only a puss nuts 61kg so my weight for height doesn't work out.
    Thats a free diving package Toby. You don't stalk cray nor do you need the big long fins. Pass

You learn to love free diving though....no bottom time limits no bulky gear... Thread high jack sorry. Or thread split if you will.
    Toby likes this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post

@Toby

Seems like a good enough package.

However you would want to custom fit the mask to ensure it fits and seals on "YOUR" face.

To do this you may need to try several different models and makes.

And you seriously need to hang out at Oslers more often.

Cheers
    Pete

I worked at oslers for near a year eating shitloads and never gained a single kg haha

I may scored a wetsuit, gonna check it out tomorrow. Heres hoping it'll fit

I have the suunto d4i computer. Mainly use it freediving thou. Nice bit of kit. For scuba i personally dont like it on my wrist when getting crays. Problem with computers with air content is if the battery goes flat theres no indication.
    For scuba a use a cressi archamedes computer with seperate air content. Its connected by hose so less likely to lose aswell.
    I really like freedive wetsuits for freedom of movement and warmth. Once u get used to lubing up to get in it sweet. ( Wettie or oceanhunter/moray are both good).
    Cheap gear is to be had on ebay. Im a cressi fan. Or boat show has some good deals if u know what your looking at. Hope this long winded write up helps someone.