Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: New hunting pants

New hunting pants

Hey guys

In need of a new pair of pants, I currently don't have a decent set.

As I'm the type to "buy once, cry once" and have been looking at one of their jackets (guide) thought a pair of Kuiu attack pants would do nicely

I was surprised that none of their outer layer gear (non rain gear) has a dry seat however, I do hate getting a wet backside

Just wanted to know if anyone has any experience with them? Or can suggest another pair, Kuiu or not?

Cheers

SiB
    I gave up on so-called dry arse pants. Sweaty arse more accurate. I just carry a bum sized piece of thin closed cell foam and sit on that.
    Pengy likes this.

Most are pretty good, but you get what you pay for.
    Have some Hunters Element Hydrapel pants, great venting, good pockets, good fit...... zips suck balls though, cheap, light weight and stiff as, which means they break easily.
    Was a little pissed but then remined myself that they only cost $120 and do work ok if I'm careful how I zip the things.

Would be super awesome if they used YKK zips on them, I's pay another $50 for that.
    Ping-Ping and Pew-Pew.
    Mathews Monster 28" @ 60#. X-Bolt .308

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    I gave up on so-called dry arse pants. Sweaty arse more accurate. I just carry a bum sized piece of thin closed cell foam and sit on that.
    Same. Saw it in a mag. Seemed like a good idea then sweated my way to the top of a hill in Otago on a hot windy day and every part of me was dry except my arse crack and balls. Not pleasant. I use a bit of closed cell foam for the back panel in my Pikau\daypack and pull it out and sit on it while glassing. More than the dryback pants as well.

I have thrashed my attack pants and they are holding up great

Starting to sounds like dry back ain't worth the trouble

I has a pair of dry back Swazi shorts for years, they were good, recently bought a pair of Huntech dry back shorts & first trip a wet arse from sweating!
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

if you want to buy once, and it has to be a 'camo' or 'hunting brand' then look at kuiu or Sitka, they are the best brands in the business, but not aware if they do pants with dry seat which aren't outer shell/overpant items.

I have some Sitka pants, theyre good. keen to try the kuiu equivalent. I don't think kuiu quite has the build quality/design as well as Sitka does but the price does reflect that

failing that, your local bivouac store they always sell quality gear, outdoor research springs to mind, have been looking at their outer shell pants.

although, if your just a farm hunter then the 5 piece fleece pack would probably do
    Blaser and K95 like this.
    #BallisticFists

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    I has a pair of dry back Swazi shorts for years, they were good, recently bought a pair of Huntech dry back shorts & first trip a wet arse from sweating!
    So if you don't mind me asking? Why did you not get another pair of Swazi shorts? I was looking at them, you seem to think that the old ones don't let you sweat, any ideas on the new ones?

Quote Originally Posted by scoped View Post
    if you want to buy once, and it has to be a 'camo' or 'hunting brand' then look at kuiu or Sitka, they are the best brands in the business, but not aware if they do pants with dry seat which aren't outer shell/overpant items.

I have some Sitka pants, theyre good. keen to try the kuiu equivalent. I don't think kuiu quite has the build quality/design as well as Sitka does but the price does reflect that

failing that, your local bivouac store they always sell quality gear, outdoor research springs to mind, have been looking at their outer shell pants.

although, if your just a farm hunter then the 5 piece fleece pack would probably do
    Doesn't phased me if its not a 'Hunting/Camo Brand' but like you said, those brands do seem to be the ducks nuts at the moment.
    I've just learnt to buy decent the first time, look after it and save yourself from future hassles, even if that means slowly replacing current gear overtime.

you might like this, I found a good comparison of the two brand. Seems a fair review and gives pros and cons of both while going through everything from head to toe.
    Team Kendrick Outdoors: KUIU vs Sitka Comparison Introduction

I really like the Tussock Creek heavy moleskin pants from what used to be RD1, really durable, pretty weather resistant and breathe well. Only about a hundy too so great value.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

I've moved away from the dry bum pants and sold all my ones as they were too hot. Ive gone back to lightweight nylon shorts from Macpac. They are great matched with marino boxers. I dont like hot sweaty bum cracks and chafing.
    H&K MAN likes this.

I have three sets of pants, allthough it has to be damn cold to warrant using them as I just prefer shorts, and if its cold some longjohns under shorts, as it is always the most comfortable, quick drying combination, and lets your man bits breathe better than any pants ever will.
    I have Sitka mountain pants, which are a very good cut and comfortable to wear, they are built very well and will take a thrashing but I find they are slow drying if they get wet and also they can get quite hot.
    Also have some of the huntech pants with the stetchy crotch bit, nice and light, dry quickly, dont heat up as much as the Sitka pants but are not built as well, no problems so far but dont expect them to last as long.
    Stoney creek microtough pants, I have had these for about six years so they may be different to the newer models, maybe better as I have heard more than a few complaints about stoney creek quality lately? These pants I have given a real thrashing and wear them on the farm a lot during winter, allthough often under overalls which may go a long way towards their longevity, they dont have the stretch of the other pants but are pretty no-nonsense and have lasted really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    So if you don't mind me asking? Why did you not get another pair of Swazi shorts? I was looking at them, you seem to think that the old ones don't let you sweat, any ideas on the new ones?
    @Sideshow wish I had got some Swazi, I went down down the local hunting shop & they had the Huntech ones so grabbed them, I think I'd seen the BGH boys recommend them. probably be ok bush hunting with a day pack? but the first trip I did was a 3hr climb to the tops with my pack on a hot day, they were soaked on the inside
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    @Sideshow wish I had got some Swazi, I went down down the local hunting shop & they had the Huntech ones so grabbed them, I think I'd seen the BGH boys recommend them. probably be ok bush hunting with a day pack? but the first trip I did was a 3hr climb to the tops with my pack on a hot day, they were soaked on the inside
    Crap! Hind sight ah