Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: New Maxtoch Torch

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I've seen candles with more power than this torch
    Flick it to @gadgetman to slap about. Isn't he the expert on those things? It is probably a crook flux capacitor. As if I would bloody well know. Ha ha ha ha
    mudgripz, bully, Pengy and 1 others like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

that'll be it!

Sorry to hear you got a dud Josh - the M24s and 2Xs have been super reliable. Email amanda and she'll tell you what to do - they're all under 12 month warranty I believe. See what she suggests but if need be I may be able to send one up to you to play with till a replacement arrives.
    veitnamcam, Josh and Pengy like this.

Happy to sort it out for you Josh.
    Josh likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Yes give it to Brian - hopefully an easy fix. If its fluxed you'll no doubt get a new one pretty quick.

I'm not too worried that it isn't working - have seen from posts on here how good their customer service is, and Amanda has got back to me with some useful suggestions. Sounds like I might be the dud instead haha, I was testing it out with some crappy 2500mAh Trustfire batteries that I bought a couple of years ago. They worked in my other smaller torch, but it sounds like you need ones that are a bit gruntier to get this one going. I'll get my hands on some 3100mAh Panasonic batteries and a proper charger and see if that works.

Thanks for the offers of help guys - I'll see if it my just my own dumbassery first

Josh if you want to loan a torch or some batteries or even get me to have a quick look at your you are more than welcome. I have 3 slightly older models, all dedomed and great hunting lights. Just flick me a PM

Fulla
    Iv joined the club and got the maxtoch.
    whats the rubber ring on the body of the torch for?
    it seems if you turn on and off (making the click) fairly quick it also changes mode. I thought it was suppose to stay on the mode you choose while not making the click?
    the light does spill out a fair bit. im keen on dedome, but it might have to wait for a bit.

Think it is something like 3 seconds it needs to be off for memory. Switch back on sooner than that and you get the next more. De-doming will cut the spill down and increase the intensity of the spot.
    bully likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Protected batteries - quality of PCB?

This NZ seller Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mAh protected rechargeable battery (single) suggests that protected batteries are only needed if powering a “very, very poorly regulated light”. They also state that Panansonic don't actually make protected batteries, it is down-stream manufacturers that add protection circuitry to Panasonics, that high quality protection circuitry is expensive, and therefore if you want quality protected batteries you should buy high-cost brands such as Keeppower etc. (I can't quite understand what they are coming from by volunteering all this background as it must therefore follow that the well-priced protected batteries (3400mAh @ $16.50) they are actually selling on their website have lesser-quality protection!)
    Anyway, my questions are:
    1. Are Maxtochs “well regulated” (whatever that actually means), and if so, do we need to bother using protected batteries in them?
    2. Maxtoch are now selling their own branded protected batteries. If these protected batteries are not expensive, does it follow that their protection circuitry is lesser-quality? Does protection-circuitry quality actually matter?

As far as I'm aware all Panasonic cells have protection circuits and they are bigger circuits than most which is why they are much longer than the usual 18650 spec and are more like 18700 cells (18mm diameter x 70.0mm long). The general rule is that you should use protected cells in torches that use more than one cell. By having each cell protected the light will cut out when one cell reaches minimum voltage. Because they are never all the same capacity you run the risk of running one too low if using unprotected cells.

Hi guys, I finally got my batteries and put them in and the light and the output is like the batteries are extremely dead (but they are not). I tried both sets and also tried a friends with the same result. Has anyone had any trouble with their torch? Will email Amanda but thought I would check here for advice first. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GMH72 View Post
    Hi guys, I finally got my batteries and put them in and the light and the output is like the batteries are extremely dead (but they are not). I tried both sets and also tried a friends with the same result. Has anyone had any trouble with their torch? Will email Amanda but thought I would check here for advice first. Thanks
    Sounds like Josh's torch above that I have here. Amanda is sending me a few spare circuit boards.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Sounds like Josh's torch above that I have here. Amanda is sending me a few spare circuit boards.
    Thanks, yes sorry it does sound the same... should of read back in the post Will email and let her know.

Yep, I ordered two, one is good the other a dud with the same problem you've got, I contacted Maxtoch and a replacement is on the way, they wanted the dud back so they paid for the shipping.

Thanks, yes sorry it does sound the same... should of read back in the post Will email and let her know.
    I think Amanda is away having a baby, I was dealing with her then Terry took over, he seemed just as helpful.