Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: New Maxtoch Torch

Cheers Gadget, will have a poke around and see how it's looking.

I've got a stack of basic chargers and batteries and they seem to work very well.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

SiB
    I'm going to owe you a beer @gadgetman.

Dedomed using heat. Re soldered. Went for a second then no go. I'm getting 4.5v at the wires. Is it possible I've cooked the led or a dry joint? Don't want to re solder if harmful etc

SiB
    And I'm trying to attach pic whilst on my iPhone 5 n I've reached my technological limit!

May have broken those fine gold wires. 4.5V would indicate it has gone open circuit.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

SiB
    Ok. I think the led is no go. I'm getting 7v on the +ve and -ve symbols on the led board. Bugger. It looked so easy.... @gadgetman can I post u the front end pls? Pm me your address if you happy to help. I'm so grateful. .... and embarrassed I stuffed it up!

SiB
    Open circuit........ I hate that phrase...... I know it's a polite way of saying there was a f... Up

PM inbound.

Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    Open circuit........ I hate that phrase...... I know it's a polite way of saying there was a f... Up
    More common when someone hasn't flicked on a switch.
    Nibblet likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    If you have a T6 screwdriver and a file the fix is easy. Unscrew the battery tube then unscrew the flange that it screws into with the T6. File the screws down from 6mm to about 4mm, I cleaned them up afterwards by running through an M2x0.4 die. Then file about 1mm off the end of the battery tube that screws into the flange, this stops the battery tube being wound in too far and pushing the circuit board away from the flange that provides the negative contact.

There are a bunch of new screws coming and the T6 screwdrivers are $4 at Mitre10. Not sure if the new screws are 1.5mm Hex or T6; will keep you posted.

Which model is this an issue with?

Quote Originally Posted by thejavelin View Post
    Which model is this an issue with?
    M24 from 1st Aug onwards. With the screws being slightly too long that extra bit just pushed the circuit board away from the electrical contact. With shorter screws would likely be OK but I'm filing the tube slightly shorter too.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    M24 from 1st Aug onwards. With the screws being slightly too long that extra bit just pushed the circuit board away from the electrical contact. With shorter screws would likely be OK but I'm filing the tube slightly shorter too.
    cheers - good to know.

In last three years we've developed 4-5 designs with Maxtoch. Developments on the original SN6X-2, a model 2S which was excellent, a bigger model 2X which is also great - troublefree, and the M24 scope and/or handheld spottie light. First batch of M24s came out maybe four months ago and were high performance and super reliable - they sold stacks into NZ but were also picked up by police forces so production run sold out v quick. Maxtoch then did second production run of M24 from 1 August this year and the first 4-5 weeks of this M24 run had the glitch. All fixed now over there but a few arrived in NZ. If your lights were ordered pre 1 August you're likely fine.

People mention odd light issues with us from time to time but reality is almost all are due to the following:

* low quality, low mAh, or defective batteries causing poor runtimes. Sometimes one of a pair is defective - hard to track down.
    * failing charger. Crap batts or charger = poor runtime.
    * dirty or greased/oiled contacts causing loss of conductivity. Don't oil threads except with touch of CRC.
    * or perhaps tail switch working loose over time.

Being electronic systems its good to do a careful thread/contact clean from time as routine maintenance. A little wet and dry on tube end contacts from time to time. Also check switches firmly in tailcap, and make sure you don't use cheap crap batts - will not do well in maxtochs with XML leds. Also occasionally clean AR (antireflective) lens with fine optical cloth. A wee bit of maintenance and thought keeps them running v well for years.
    Josh and Pengy like this.

Since we're on the topic of Maxtoch - do they have any decent small general use AAA or AA torches? The sort that would fit in the palm of your hand, or a little bit bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Since we're on the topic of Maxtoch - do they have any decent small general use AAA or AA torches? The sort that would fit in the palm of your hand, or a little bit bigger.
    No point, 18650's have a much greater energy density. Something like an x2000 or 501b I find are much more useful.