Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: New Maxtoch Torch

Sn6x-2x dammit

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    That's your excuse for everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I have others
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post

How do you like the little M24 and its performance Sneeze? Wee beauty isn't it. Was impressed with light weight and production quality. And how's that M60 going?

First impressions are good, as you said light and bright. Il have to wait for the next lot to arrive before I can get a decent idea after having a clumsy day. I dropped a couple onto the garage floor from about 4 feet. 1 survived without a mark and worked just fine but mine didnt . It partly expolded .
    Build quality Id have to say on a par with the 2s Iv had , but that was pretty good.
    M60 is going just fine, I'm having to fend off Gadget though
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Ok dedoming tests completed on the new 2X.

Stock it read 112kcd at 6m, with an estimate of 120k at 10m. Maxtoch's 10m tests showed 122 and 124kcd for two new 2Xs at 10m.

Tonight after dedoming, my 2X's peak reading is 237kcd at 6m, with an estimate of 245-250kcd at 10m - where throwers perform best. It is helluva powerful for a basic light with a 5 minute dedome! To clarify - the fine little X2000 lights of 2-3 years ago (which had slightly better distance than the Led lenser P7) read 11k lux.

On medium mode it reads 95kcd at 6m - likely about 100kcd at 10m. Its medium is far more than most top lights on high!

Conclusion - amazing performer - great thrower. ANSI distance measure on 245-250kcd = 1000 meters.

We designed the 2X as a bigger head, longer thrower light than the M24. The dedomed M24 by comparison gives 173k lux at 6m - maybe 180 at 10m - but that's not the full story. The lightweight M24 is designed as both scope torch and handheld spottie and dedomed gives 500yd body visibility on larger animals - with naked eye. Sure the 2X gives more but it is heavier and more suited for handheld role - or occasionally as scope torch for super long range shooting.

The all-purpose M24 is selling like crazy - maybe 50 bought by kiwis in last 2-3 weeks. The 2X will sell fewer but this very powerful light will still have many uses. It can also be tuned to 350-400k lux giving huge power and peak distance of 1.25 kilometers.

Maxtoch development work now done for time being - go get them. And then dedome them! Amazing

Quote Originally Posted by crnkin View Post
    Cam I've got a spare sn6-x2 or three I can mod to various levels for you to buy before you try if you want.

Just did a stocker for Adam. Reckons he's blind now. Not surprised.

Chris
    So will be anyone who has been to his house since, he was bad enough with the lenser !

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Have any of you guys compared this torch to an Ultrafire C8 or similar. My C8's got an XM-L2, U2 bin emitter pushing 3amps so in theory the Maxtoch shouldn't be any brighter, but will have longer battery life. Can anyone compare the difference?
    I've ordered one so I hope it is better than my C8 as it's 6x the price and twice the weight, the biggest difference I can see would come from the deeper reflector which will give it better throw, like comparing my WF-502B to my C8

Some of the little C8s are good wee torches but being pretty cheap the quality from various manufacturers varies alot. We tested quite alot and they were in the range 15-33k lux in standard form - about half the output of the early Maxtochs SNs. They are nowhere near the output of the M24 or upgraded 2X with their high quality components and bigger reflectors, but of course you are not paying too much for them.

C8s are good for shotgun mounting. Being XML led based you can play with them and improve them much more than say led lenser lights.

Yeah c8s are great all round lights but if you wanna see a deer at 800m, it ain't gonna cut it.

Xml2-U2 on copper at 3 amps and ar lens is roughly 1100 lumens and maybe 40-45kcd. Dedomed at 4 amps I think roughly 110kcd.

Xpg2 1/1.4x smaller hotspot, roughly 130kcd at 4 amps

Xpe2, 1/2 size spot of xml2, roughly 150kcd at 3 amps

Chris

We shot 600 rabbits one night last year with 80kcd c8s with xpg2. Perfect out to 200m, my new ones great to 300m, deer further, all dependent on humidity.

Chris

I'll be happy when my M24 arrives then, my best modded spotlight was a C10 XM-L2 on copper plug @3.5A.
    Hopefully the M24 is better than my rangi homemade HID spotlight.

I never thought of running an XPG2, do you just run them on a stock XML driver @3A, I thought they'd heat up too fast overdriven

The new M24 Maxtoch would tune to over 300kcd and the 2Xs will likely run up to about 400.

I don't hotrod my lights to that extent but there is certainly use for them. One of our team wants one super long range light to sit on his 243 - 300-400m shooting. He will pick up the bunnies with the other dedomed maxis at that range but he wants a scope mounted light able to absolutely daylight them for clear body shots. So for this role a tuned up 2X at 350-400kcd is perfect - runtime and heating not an issue as its an on/off light only.

We did try XPG2 in the maxi 2X but went back to XMLs for greater beam width - but that is because we use them as paddock scanning spotlights as well. just a matter of choice re beam use.

I wish I knew the language you guys speak. XPG2 this and kcd that. Feels like I'm left in the dark
    7mmsaum, veitnamcam, HUNTY and 2 others like this.

Sarcasm wont improve the darkness, but I like it!
    sako75 likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Naracoorte South Australia/From South Canterbury
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I've only seen coloured LED's in lower spec offerings, not in XML.

They seem to ship to Aussie if you click open the drop down on the Free Shipping to line.
    Ahhh they must have changed their policy since I last checked thanks

Lumens = total light output, but this output can be dispersed in all directions eg a lightbulb. High lumens eg from a multi led torch with several small reflectors might typically give you alot of flood but less throw.

Intensity of the torch's beam hotspot is measured in lux or candela. kcd = thousands of candela. A torch's beam hotspot might be expressed as say 100k lux (or one hundred thousand lux) or 100kcd. High lux/kcd torches are throwers.

XML leds have very powerful lumen output but XML lights can be very good throwers when they have wide reflectors eg 63-68 like these two maxtochs. The xml leds also retain good beam width = multipurpose lights

XPG2 is another type of led - generally gives high lux/kcd but without the beam width. More towards pencil beam.

Both good leds - depending on what you want to do with your light. XMLs probably the most popular leds on the planet today.
    sako75 likes this.