Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New XML chip hunting lights - some ideas

It appears Electronic Systems Technology International who make Maxtoch are now trading in small orders for anyone - even one torch. I've found them a good company.

Maxtoch SN6X-2 10W XML T6 1000LM 18650 Aluminum Search LED CREE Rechargeable Flashlight products, buy Maxtoch SN6X-2 10W XML T6 1000LM 18650 Aluminum Search LED CREE Rechargeable Flashlight products from alibaba.com

Note - ESTI do make chargers as well as Maxtochs, but you still need to get the good quality Trustfire 3000mAh 18650 batts from DX or Manafont. ESTI has batts but nowhere near as good (2200mAh).
    Last edited by mudgripz; 21-04-2012 at 01:03 PM.

R93
    Hi Mudz,
    Have you got any photo's of the beam shots? I have a Dereelight DBS V3 with an aspherical lense using the XML pill on 1 18650 batt, that claims only 300LM. I can looking thru a scope, easily make out a deer at well over 350yrds, lasered. It would be good to see these run side by side on a good night. You can land the Dereelight for around $120NZ
    I have seen a few torches and yet to see one come close to the DBS V3. If the SN 6 is better I would be keen to have a look at one. The Dereelight is interchangable and upgradeable as well which was a selling point for me.
    Just another option for people who are interested in a good torch.
    Last edited by R93; 21-04-2012 at 01:23 PM.

Don't know the light but Dereelight make some good throwers. If its an XML it will be more like 700+ lumens as its the earlier XR-E Q5 and R2 chips which produce round 250-300l. However if its got good distance plus XML width (difficult with an aspheric lens), you won't need anything else.

There are lots of v powerful lights out there for up to $500US (Thrunite, Fenix, Led Lenser etc) which have great performance. Maxtoch SN/ Skyray STL-V2 are popular here and overseas because they give distance plus beamwidth in a package for just $60-70NZ delivered.

Here's a beamshot from the STL-V2 which looks like 2-300m but is actually 150 yards. Click on image for closer, more realistic distance:

http://prohardver.hu/dl/upc/2011-10/...l_v2_pince.jpg

R93
    Cheers for the photo. Beam seems to have more width than mine but looks like the same intensity at the same range. I should have said I have the XM-L 6 pill it had the width but not the throw. As you have pointed out it would be hard with aspherical lense. I use the XR-E R2 EZ900 pill. The XM-L 6 is claimed to be 700 lumens on the dereelight site. No idea what the XR-E R2 is but it is grunty.
    Dereelight now have the new Nightmaster.

I think the Maxtoch SN would probably top out at maybe 250-300yds in ideal conditions for bigger game. Certainly I can see sheep bodies at 250m (275yds) the other night without scope. But a couple of points here.

Distance is just one factor with a good torch. Lower lumen narrow pencil beams will get good distance but they do have a serious limitation. The little square beam (around 250-300 lumens) is very small at 100-200m and not good enough for short to medium range spotlight scanning of terrain. We've had a number of tight pencil beams and don't use them so much now - or we use them in conjunction with a big thumper like the Maxtoch which lights up the paddock. The Maxtoch/Skyray does everything - good distance plus great width from the 1000 lumens.

The other important point is you need a torch with light outputs best suited for actual night shooting distance - and that isn't safely going to be past 100m for rimfire or maybe 200 maximum for centrefire. I would not be shooting beyond that because you've got no assured picture of your longer firing zone - no idea of what's standing past an animal at 250 or so. Night shooting is about shorter distance safety, not max reach, so we don't focus on super long pencil beams, more on huge light in the safe shooting distance.

R93
    Different strokes. Depends where you use them and I think it is up to the individual as far as saftey is concerned. I dont need to shoot past 250 but its good to have the ability if I want too. My aspherical lense is adjustable as far as flood and works fine, I havnt noticed any limitations at all.
    I spot most animals I chase with my petzyl head light anyway.

Got one on the way,,will be interesting to see how it goes
    DONT BE A FOOL INDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEFORE YOU PULL

Jed
    Cree - Flashlight Wiki

Interesting reading about the Cree LED specs.

Well holy crap there are some options out there.My idea of a torch used to be a little light for when the aligator clips poped off the battery terminals for the spotlight.
    I have the skyray the way now so will be interesting. Thanks Mudgripz, would have taken me ages to get upto speed to make an informed guess.
    Do you rifle mount them and what with?
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Yep - you do need someone to walk you through the umpteen 1000s of products available. We got good advice from people who'd already been there, and adapted/experimented from that.

Various mount ideas but mostly we use an '8' mount off the scope:

Universal Gun Mount with Hex Wrench - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

No need to order these from DX as they're pretty cheap off trademe. We mount them upright with scope thru the top loop, cut off the lower loop below the screws, then fit the torch onto the side weaver mounts with a 25mm high weaver mount:

25mm Gun Mount - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

also on trademe. Sometimes you need to tweak the ring screw adjustment for a tight fit. You can also get an 8 mount with a weaver mount on the top - this would be good too.

Here's a couple of other items that are extremely useful. A wee zoomable headlamp with 80-100m bunny spotting range for about $17 - also uses 18650 batts. We use heaps of them:

Flood-to-Throw 3-Mode Cree Q3 LED Headlamp (1*18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

And these wee torches are great for attaching to shotguns - or 22s - and handle recoil well. Cheap as chips (about $13NZ delivered), better distance then the Led Lenser P7 at $120, again 18650 batt, 100m bunny spotting beam, and zoomable for 0-50m shottie shooting. We use lots of them and so does Bushrash - he notes they are more powerful lately:

X2000 Flood-to-Throw Zooming Glass Optics Cree P4-WC LED Flashlight (1*18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

and to attach it to shotgun barrel a couple of these velcro clips - about $27? ea from H&F but $5 a pair from DX:

Universal Nylon Mount for Flashlights and Lasers - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

The Skyray STL-V2/Maxtoch is a real beauty. Its an all-rounder in one torch - a great wee spottie. They are sold in Europe for NZ$233-245.

Pretty cheap at $60-70 but one of those toys that just puts a smile on your dial.

Geez mud those guys at manafont leave DX for dead when it comes to service!!!maxtorch were really good too,,,,,cheers for that

Bush - what was the delivered price for the Maxtoch from them?

Was the grand sum of $66.29 nz,,,,,delivered,, bargin!

So is that the Maxtoch SN through Ali Baba - great price if it is. Is that airpost or shipping? Shipping time?

Quote Originally Posted by Bushrash View Post
    Geez mud those guys at manafont leave DX for dead when it comes to service!!!maxtorch were really good too,,,,,cheers for that
    Yeah I had one Item that took 3 mounths to turn up from DX...no contact as to why, Obviously not in stock in the manufacturers either.... other things in under 2 weeks
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

LinkBacks (?)