Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Oh wisdom of the forum...

I currently have two shelter options for hunting... I either use a fly and a groundsheet or a 1 person bivi type tent.

The fly is fine in the bush but on the tops it is difficult to find somewhere suitable to pitch it and often I end up with wet feet or it flaps or it is only 10 inches off the ground and I can barely fit under it!

The bivi sweats like nothing else and I get half soaked, I can't move in it and I can't fit any of my stuff in it either.

So what is the solution for tops hunting?

Buy a bivi bag and keep using the fly? Or buy a good quality 2/3p tent so I a mate and or the dog will fit in there too?

What option and what product? I am in the USA at the moment so have a huge number of options. Keep in mind this is for tops only and needs to be at least three season capable, I will continue to use the fly in the bush.

Tent is best But i love my one man bivi, can put it up in a gale in two mins. But as you said nowhere for your pack(if that bothers you) but worse nowhere to cook etc out of the rain. so really need a fly also.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Tent is best But i love my one man bivi, can put it up in a gale in two mins. But as you said nowhere for your pack(if that bothers you) but worse nowhere to cook etc out of the rain. so really need a fly also.
    Yeah I find mine is too small for me too as I'm over 6" and with a sleeping bag etc my feet hit the end and get wet. I think tent is the solution but which one? I hear MSR was once the benchmark but they seem to be outstripped in a few reviews...

You are correct on needing to be easy to put up. When it's shitty the last thing you want is to be fucking around with loads of complicated poles! The vestibule is more for eating than anything, my pack has a rain cover so not too worried.

ebf
    MSR Hubba, gives you options for emergency shelter (fly and footprint only) as well as full tent setup for tops. Roomy enough to sit up in, and storage. Keep an eye on trademe, you get good deals for 2nd hand tents.

I dislike bivvy bags, too restrictive and confined...
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

I think I will go for a 2 person just for versatility. So the hubba hubba is a good bet?

SiB
    hubba hubba v pricey - though very nice.
    I bought a Marmot 2-man tent. I chose because it matched the bivy models for weight. I carry a cheapo small tarp if space/weight permits if I know I'm likely to be in real wet country - the base is OK, and never had wet feet etc but nice to be sure. I have a Marmot goretex shell jacket and that's been great so am happy w the brand personally
    Simon

Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    hubba hubba v pricey - though very nice.
    I bought a Marmot 2-man tent. I chose because it matched the bivy models for weight. I carry a cheapo small tarp if space/weight permits if I know I'm likely to be in real wet country - the base is OK, and never had wet feet etc but nice to be sure. I have a Marmot goretex shell jacket and that's been great so am happy w the brand personally
    Simon
    What model marmot did you go with SiB

SiB
    er . . . . it's yellow/orange.

I'll have a look when I get home tonight. packs up small and good in wind - have been in good blasts with just usual noise. I always carry extra para cord anyway

The Exped gear is meant to be pretty good. Maybe something like the 3-season Aries Mesh.

I have one of the 4-season Vela 1, just haven't used it yet.

http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage_int.nsf
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

.Whip into Haralds fabrics birmingham driveCHCH and get yaself a few metres of parka nylon or the heavy duty mattress protector fabric designed to cope with nighttime incontinence.
    If you know a good sewer get em to hem it and sew some heavy duty tapes for ropes etc.that way you customise a hoochie/fly to suit.
    heres a thought If you sew a big tube you could erect it as a triangle =sides and built in floor.

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    .Whip into Haralds fabrics birmingham driveCHCH and get yaself a few metres of parka nylon or the heavy duty mattress protector fabric designed to cope with nighttime incontinence.
    If you know a good sewer get em to hem it and sew some heavy duty tapes for ropes etc.that way you customise a hoochie/fly to suit.
    heres a thought If you sew a big tube you could erect it as a triangle =sides and built in floor.
    I have a number of good quality flys. Am after the convenience of being able to pitch a tent fast and have a more comfortable shelter when the weather shits itself

SiB
    My Marmot tent is a Twilight 2.

Have you considered a huntech bivy? Still wont be as comfortable as a tent in bad weather but better than a standard fly in reasonable conditions...