Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PLB's

PLB's

What are you using? do you know how much to get the Batterys changed in them once there life is up?

Looking at the Kannard safelink solo and the GME MT410G both are the same price at the mo cant decide if the extra 2 years Battery life of the GME is worth the extra weight.

Your Thoughts?
    TIKKA 595 7mm08 for the deer 12 gauge for everything else!

I have the mcmurdo fastfind and i dont reckon it ways enough to worry about. There are a lot of other places one can save weight. eg. Your gut, your food, your cooking gear etc

DAF
    I have the GME MT410G, I have never thought of it as heavy and its compact enough for me.
    "Such is life..." - Ned Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by DAF View Post
    I have the GME MT410G, I have never thought of it as heavy and its compact enough for me.
    Cheers DAF I went with the GME because of its 7 year battery
    TIKKA 595 7mm08 for the deer 12 gauge for everything else!

The ACR is unbelievably light and 5 yr battery

Question Plb or spot ?

Hi everyone , I new to this forum . So be gentle if I approach this the wrong way . I'm looking at a plb as my mate is not so keen anymore and I am out hunting on my own . Have found a thing called a spot on the net . They look great as it appears you can be tracked on home computer eg your location ,also it looks like you can txt to your computer and pass on a message . Any feedback would be appreciated . Or if I'm in the the wrong forum ,can you sort me out . Thanks Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Hi everyone , I new to this forum . So be gentle if I approach this the wrong way . I'm looking at a plb as my mate is not so keen anymore and I am out hunting on my own . Have found a thing called a spot on the net . They look great as it appears you can be tracked on home computer eg your location ,also it looks like you can txt to your computer and pass on a message . Any feedback would be appreciated . Or if I'm in the the wrong forum ,can you sort me out . Thanks Dean
    Their reception is unreliable, and I don't think that they are monitored from NZ (monitoring is via the States I recall).

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    I would google the reviews on them...they are not what I would call a true PLB

Thanks guys have googled spot devices and they not as good as the salesman had pitched. Fancy that !. They say they may don't work in bush,wast of time for hunting then.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    We have a ACR (well the old boy has it) and was thinkning about the new version of it for myself with the 'I'm ok but late' button

Does anyone have one and can comment on it further?

Munsey, you can hire good plb's out if the initial outlay is too hefty, most hunting places have them for hire if your like me and only get out a few times a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    We have a ACR (well the old boy has it) and was thinkning about the new version of it for myself with the 'I'm ok but late' button

Does anyone have one and can comment on it further?
    The "I'm ok but late thing" is a subscription service, you sign up for it at 406link.com. Costs about $70 US annually I think. Works with most of the latest PLB's. You press the test button as normal to test the unit and it pings a signal to the satellites. 406link.com monitor the skies and know when you're "testing". They then send an email to a predetermined address with a predetermined message, it doesnt have to be I'm late, but ok. It could be "Just shot a 350DS16 pointer" if you like! (note: SMS function not available in NZ). Usage is limited to how many "tests" your PLB can handle before battery needs changing but it's 20+ etc so should be ok.

More info: www.406link.com
    Last edited by stu#71; 26-03-2012 at 10:02 PM.

Is there a set limit on number of 'tests'

I spose ideally you would test the unit each time you took it out??

Yeah there is. Depends on your unit. It'll tell you in the instructions.

Most are good for quite a few though ie you're not gonna be "Stuck and late" that often! LOL

You have an ACR? 60 tests over the 5 yr battery life. So once per month!

http://www.acrelectronics.com/media/...1-03-0251D.pdf
    Last edited by stu#71; 26-03-2012 at 10:00 PM.

The old mans got the ACR - I wanted to get one for myself with the button.
    Better DL the book and RTFM