Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Black Watch


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 39
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Power banks

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    1,506
    i repair allot of spotlights and robot duck decoys, the quality of some of the lithium ion and lithium polymer batteries is honestly scary, i've had a couple ignite on me while running lights or while on charge. personally i would go for name brand cells over cheap battteries anyday. when a lithium battery catches fire its like a magnesium flare, damned hard to extinguish too
    gadgetman likes this.

  2. #17
    LOC
    LOC is offline
    Member LOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    auckland
    Posts
    586
    @ROKTOY another very functional option that i also use and is a bit more flexible + better suited to fly camping is to get a Nitecore 18650 battery charger which holds a single battery and also has a usb output plug for charging gadgets/lights from the battery https://www.banggood.com/Nitecore-F1...l?rmmds=search

    this is effectively the same as a power bank and you can just carry as many 18650 batteries as you need - buy them from @burtonator and each battery is 3500mAh (4x batteries holds the equivalent of a 14,000mAh power bank). i run a head torch that uses a single 18650 so carrying an extra battery doubles up as a spare for the torch

    as a single battery is not that heavy it will hang off your luminoodle without becoming disconnected and you can put it in a ziplock bag for water protection if it is wet
    GWH, Dublin and Biggun708 like this.

  3. #18
    GWH
    GWH is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Napier, Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    1,817
    Quote Originally Posted by LOC View Post
    @ROKTOY another very functional option that i also use and is a bit more flexible + better suited to fly camping is to get a Nitecore 18650 battery charger which holds a single battery and also has a usb output plug for charging gadgets/lights from the battery https://www.banggood.com/Nitecore-F1...l?rmmds=search

    this is effectively the same as a power bank and you can just carry as many 18650 batteries as you need - buy them from @burtonator and each battery is 3500mAh (4x batteries holds the equivalent of a 14,000mAh power bank). i run a head torch that uses a single 18650 so carrying an extra battery doubles up as a spare for the torch

    as a single battery is not that heavy it will hang off your luminoodle without becoming disconnected and you can put it in a ziplock bag for water protection if it is wet
    Yep i use these too with my Luminoodle, works very well.

    Post # 34 here Solo hunt, post rut red deer (Video)

    The various kit i use depending on what im doing is here Post #12 Solar Panel kitsets?
    LOC likes this.

  4. #19
    LOC
    LOC is offline
    Member LOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    auckland
    Posts
    586
    nice one GWH, think i hooked myself up with that set up last year after reading your post

    Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Yep i use these too with my Luminoodle, works very well.

    Post # 34 here Solo hunt, post rut red deer (Video)

    The various kit i use depending on what im doing is here Post #12 Solar Panel kitsets?
    GWH likes this.

  5. #20
    Member craigc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    994
    I just purchased one of these

    https://www.trademe.co.nz/1374073925

    I'm running most things on 18650 now....
    gadgetman, GWH and LOC like this.

  6. #21
    Member ROKTOY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by LOC View Post
    @ROKTOY i just read your post further up, I have a luminoodle too and with that Promate I get 3-5 nights out of it depending on how often the noodle gets turned off - which is quite often as i reckon it is way too bright and the light is way too 'white'

    i picked up one of these from aliexpress and it is warm white which is far more pleasant, has a long lead to hang high and also has a switch so can just leave it plugged in to the power bank for a few days on end. i prefer to use this over the noodle for sitting around camp - not to mention it is also way cheaper...
    https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/...Id=32751164933
    Cheers all, esp. @LOC and @GWH. I really appreciate your input on the subject.
    @LOC what is the product you linked above on Ali-express?

    So today I picked up a Huawei 13000mAh Portable Power Bank from Noel Leeming for $60.
    I have grabbed one of the nitecore F1 units, I have a couple of Maxtoch 18650s so I think I should be sorted now. Also have a nitecore I4 charger for the 18650s.
    Loc that Ravpower 32000mah unit looks like a good deal if it is up to spec.

  7. #22
    LOC
    LOC is offline
    Member LOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    auckland
    Posts
    586
    Quote Originally Posted by ROKTOY View Post
    Cheers all, esp. @LOC and @GWH. I really appreciate your input on the subject.
    @LOC what is the product you linked above on Ali-express?

    So today I picked up a Huawei 13000mAh Portable Power Bank from Noel Leeming for $60.
    I have grabbed one of the nitecore F1 units, I have a couple of Maxtoch 18650s so I think I should be sorted now. Also have a nitecore I4 charger for the 18650s.
    Loc that Ravpower 32000mah unit looks like a good deal if it is up to spec.
    Nice one mate. That I4 charger seems to charge further than the point my maxtoch charger cuts out at.

    Sorry didnít realise the link was wrong. Here it is. Not a hell of a lot of $ to test it out

    https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/3275...311.0.0.ZJtTAy

  8. #23
    LOC
    LOC is offline
    Member LOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    auckland
    Posts
    586
    not sure if that link worked. here is a screenshot and search aliexpress with this description

    ROKTOY likes this.

  9. #24
    Member ROKTOY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by LOC View Post
    not sure if that link worked. here is a screenshot and search aliexpress with this description

    I had looked at these ones as they take the 18650. yours may be better though

    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Conv...460.0.0.BAI5jJ

  10. #25
    LOC
    LOC is offline
    Member LOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    auckland
    Posts
    586
    they look good as have an adjustable power level

  11. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    253
    Hi Guys

    great thread.

    If it's just light you're after the Luci inflatable lantern I have has been brilliant. You can get them here from Top Gear. Cheap, very light (100g) and pack down flat. I've never had mine run out of juice with normal camp site use and it charges in all light conditions. I just leave it out on the bench when I'm at home and it certainly does a couple of days no trouble at all. And if you leave it out during the day in theory it should go forever. This is the website:

    https://mpowerd.com/
    LOC likes this.

  12. #27
    GWH
    GWH is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Napier, Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    1,817
    Quote Originally Posted by WillB View Post
    Hi Guys

    great thread.

    If it's just light you're after the Luci inflatable lantern I have has been brilliant. You can get them here from Top Gear. Cheap, very light (100g) and pack down flat. I've never had mine run out of juice with normal camp site use and it charges in all light conditions. I just leave it out on the bench when I'm at home and it certainly does a couple of days no trouble at all. And if you leave it out during the day in theory it should go forever. This is the website:

    https://mpowerd.com/
    The Luci's are pretty cool little units, I've had a couple for 2-3 years now.

    They work suprizingly well. I've found after blowing up and flattening down a few times they end up splitting, then you can't inflate them proprely and they are also not waterproof anymore.

    Now I only really use them as night lights in the kids rooms or passage way during power cuts ��
    WillB likes this.

  13. #28
    Member zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,769
    Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    The Luci's are pretty cool little units, I've had a couple for 2-3 years now.

    They work suprizingly well. I've found after blowing up and flattening down a few times they end up splitting, then you can't inflate them proprely and they are also not waterproof anymore.

    Now I only really use them as night lights in the kids rooms or passage way during power cuts 
    Ha ha I have 2 Lucis and yes they are great. The last one bought though has rain deer on it - bought just to use as a Christmas dec.

    Also have the 5 foot Luminoodle.

    My standard Luci is still OK with no splits but I don't always inflate it to use it. (No blow up doll jokes please.)

    PS: Have also pressed the Luminoodle into Christmas tree dec service.
    GWH, LOC and WillB like this.

  14. #29
    vin, maate.
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    351
    I just ordered one of these. Heard good things, check out the specs.

    POSEIDON Ultra Rugged Charger BLACK – 10,000 mAh – SOLO HNTR TV & BRAND

  15. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    @LOC your Ravpower 32000maH unit looks a bloody good unit. Missed that one when I was looking.

    The other reason I went for pricier was hopefully better quality batteries (and not fire bombs inside). Mine has Jap Panasonic.

    Also some of the cheaper units have optimistic ratings. I also have a 6500maH unit bought as a result of a favourable review in an NZ gun mag. It is a POS. It will not charge an Apple device I think because the output volts drop too low - the Apple charges for about a minute then comes up with an incompatible charger message. This with the PP fully charged. It also has a self contained solar panel - absolutely useless as well.

    For heading out into the sticks I would much rather pay a bit of a premium than buy a cheapie. Probabaly lots will now tell me how well their cheeapies have served them......
    Have had exactly the same experience with cheaper no name brands. Won't bother again with them. One lot i bought at best only charged 8% of what it was claiming on the box. Had a solar topped one too and i think from memory it managed about 13% of its claims on the box!

    Took the risk at the time as they were reletively cheap, certainly wouldn't do so again! Also note most of the cell phones that were catching fire in the news a little while back had imitation replacement batteries purchased of ebay! Case of buyer beware!!!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: 12v 5a power supply
    By Tuckerbox in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-12-2016, 10:27 PM
  2. The power goes off
    By Marty Henry in forum Off topic
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-12-2016, 07:18 PM
  3. Hunting on Banks Peninsula
    By mcche171 in forum Hunting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17-11-2013, 05:42 PM
  4. Ram power
    By Dead is better in forum Off topic
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-08-2013, 12:20 PM
  5. Rem Mag Killing Power
    By Fisherman in forum Shooting
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 26-02-2013, 09:17 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!