Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Range finder- what's everyone using and why?

Range finder- what's everyone using and why?

Okay I'll be making a few of these because i found they would have been enormously useful on my last trip to the mountains, ideally would like one that could be used to 1000m accurately, what's everyone's recommendations?

Cheers

Tian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Leica 1600 has ranged deer to 1425 yards. After a wee bit of sneaking I managed to range them again at 30 yards and then totally miss !!!!!
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

I previously used a Leica CRF 1200 but now own a pair of Geovids. Excellent products!
    mikee likes this.

Got a set of Leica but no angle reading on them which would come in handy, bit more accurate than the old protractor and a bit of wire

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Leupold RX3 TBR. Was given it as a bonus a few years ago when I guided a mate from Tasmania on chamois. It works ok for what I'm doing at present but will need to replace it soon with a bit more range ability. Been very reliable.

leica 1200. Small reliable and the battery lasts forever.

Got one through Alan Newhnam to replace a lupi 650, no idea of make, claimed range is 1000m, I've gotton consistent reads to 1300m with fresh batteries. Same measurements as a friends bushnell. Don't have angle comp but a scope mounted clino and drop chart with angle comps works just as well.

RX1200i TBR, they seem to be hit and miss though as there are some good reviews on them and some not so good. I can't complain with mine consistently reads out to its claimed 1200 and beyond and reads on animals at over 1000 no problems, also has TBR angle compensation which is great. You can also choose from a tonne of preset ballistic curves to match your load but I don't bother as I just use strelok as I can compensate for wind, temp, humidity, air pressure etc .

Onehunter
    I used to carry my Leica rangefinder and Swarovski binoculars. Now I only use my new Swarovski rangefinder binoculars. Accurate range and angle. Expensive but worth it. Remember quality is remembered long after price is forgotten.

I use Leica CRF 1600. They are great, but not TBR which I would like. The reason is because you can get great second hand deals as people upgrade to the newer models and RF Binos. I got mine for less than the price of new Bushnels.

I have a Zeiss Victory PRF. Wouldn't recommend it now though as it's a tad old fashioned - no angle calc etc. In its time though it was superior optically and probably in ranging to the Leica model of the day. Also switchable between yards and meters which the old Leica wasn't. I can range to around 1350 in the right conditions. At 8x it can be used for some glassing but not a substitute for binos. Would go straight to rangefinder binocs if looking again.
    Puffin likes this.

I'm on a bit of a budget, so couldn't afford anything like the Swaro bino's or such, but Serious Shooters gave me a good deal on a Bushnell Scout DX1000 with ARC. Haven't used it on a hunt yet (but soon but it ranges golfers over the back fence very consistently out to 600. I'm happy with the quality and value and consistency of the thing, but don't yet know its maximums.
    Used to be a fine wine - now I'm vinegar.

I'm thinking of buying a rangefinder too. Probably can't justify quality combo binocular unit. I'd seriously consider the Sig Sauer kilo2000 though.
    mucko likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I'm thinking of buying a rangefinder too. Probably can't justify quality combo binocular unit. I'd seriously consider the Sig Sauer kilo2000 though.
    If I did it again that's what I would be buying, excellent reviews. They have them in store at shooters supplies in Hornby if you wanted to have a play with one GM
    gadgetman and quentin like this.

I have a Bushnell Scout ARC 1000. Quite a few years old now and still on the original battery. Good price and ranges father than I can shoot.
    keneff likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.