Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Range finder- what's everyone using and why?

Swarovski 10x42 Range.
    Great binoculars with distance and slope correction.
    Awesome to range as soon as you see something as saves time finding it again and can advise your mates exact range for them to be looking in correct location.
    While glassing I range a lot of obvious features and when I see something I know whats in "just shoot range " and and what I need to range again and adjust for shot.

Just buy something thats combined as it can save just those few seconds that sometimes make a difference.

sig 1250

Haven't had it long enough, but its fast and out far enough for me! reads deer at 750 trees 950yrds the rest 1600.
    its light weight and can angle auto or give line of sight + angle it will do all I need very happy with the product.
    KH
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    gadgetman and TianBotha like this.
    The Voice of Reason, Come let us Reason together...

Quote Originally Posted by Onehunter View Post
    Now I only use my new Swarovski rangefinder binoculars. Remember quality is remembered long after price is forgotten.
    Very true. I'd love a pair of those but the prices are eye-watering. Are they really that good?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    If I did it again that's what I would be buying, excellent reviews. They have them in store at shooters supplies in Hornby if you wanted to have a play with one GM
    I'll check them out.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by planenutz View Post
    Very true. I'd love a pair of those but the prices are eye-watering. Are they really that good?
    Absolutely no doubt they are that good.
    planenutz likes this.

I have a pair of Sig Kilo 2000 streets ahead of the other ones I have owned. They have a satisfying heft to them very solid without being heavy. They range very well and have not let me down yet. A friend bought them over from the States at about half what they go for here. Very happy
    Kiwi-Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermastor View Post
    I have a pair of Sig Kilo 2000 streets ahead of the other ones I have owned. They have a satisfying heft to them very solid without being heavy. They range very well and have not let me down yet. A friend bought them over from the States at about half what they go for here. Very happy
    What are they worth here? What can I be expecting to pay if you don't mind me asking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leica 1000 been very good range out past 1000 in the right conditions very fast readings. Had Leupold RX 3 before them and they were very slow to register the readings plus couldn't get better than 720 yds with them.
    Had some Bushnell 600 first, they were good and would range trees out to 900 yds in good conditions. Leica work well for me.

I bought a Leupold 1200 TBR when I was in America but i haven't used it yet. All the deer I've shot since getting back have been at 40m or less and haven't needed to get it out of its pouch. Im heading to Queenstown for the holidays so I'm hoping to test it out up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermastor View Post
    They seem to be going for $1050 here.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Leica 1600b, goes good. Having the true range compensated for is awesome
    Would love a combined bino and rangefinder unit but don't have the cash.
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

I've got the Leupold RX1000i, with the TBR/DNA functions. It's light, small, easy to use and comes with a range of 7 ballistic calculations preset. Mine is 4 years old now and I've used it regularly but I've not had to replace the battery yet. Handy being waterproof too.

Range finding is simple to do and the results are presented very quickly. The best I've managed to do with it has been about 800m on a reflective target. I kinda figure that's any amount enough for me... I only shooting out to 400 - 450m max so if the rangefinder comes back with a distance further than that I've simply got to keep walking. I have no doubt the later version like Ryan has is probably better. My only criticism is that the clarity of the Leupold glass isn't as good as my Swarovski scope. Ha. Go figure.

Now that Akaroa1 has almost convinced me I need to upgrade to a set of Swaro 10x42 Range EL's, I might have to think about selling the RX1000. Damn, this forum is costing me too much money!
    TianBotha likes this.

Nikon 1200 . . . always thinking of upgrading but the machine does everything i need, and some . . damm

Swaro EL 8 x 42 RF binos. Has a built in inclinometer so I use the TBR distance that's displayed,

Easy to flick between Mtrs and Yds, bought them before they were readily available here, because at the time they were the first binos to do TBR, and metric and imperial distance....

Not one regret having bought them.

B

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    If I did it again that's what I would be buying, excellent reviews. They have them in store at shooters supplies in Hornby if you wanted to have a play with one GM
    Well they did have one, but it went out the door about half an hour before I arrived. Was planning on being there a couple of hours earlier but got stuck doing other stuff. So fess up you lot, who bought my range finder?
    TianBotha likes this.