Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Rifle scabbards

I use the eberlestock j-34 and, as nibblet said, if packed right it's bloody good. Having the rifles weight right against your back (instead of the back / side of your pack) is great for balance and I just pack a couple heavier items + a full camelback on the opposite side to offset the weight.

Negatives = 'slightly' heavier than other packs... I don't personally notice an extra kg when you're dragging your weight + 20-30kg of pack up a hill though. Need to spend an extra two mins packing it right.

Positives = versatile - leave most of your kit at camp and turn it into a day pack, take your bino harness off the waist band and throw it on the bivvy etc. Sturdy as hell - made for the us army I think. Havier pack has thick / strong harness system and is fine carrying well over 30kg of meat and gear.

Thinking about getting a cactus or twin needle for those 1-2 day trips though!

I ran a J 34 for a couple of years, even had the super spike duffell to throw in or on it. Awesome idea ....the whole system, very well made. To use it as a day pack I would load everything needed into one sleeve pod and then fold it over the empty pod, made for a very narrow profile with the advantage of being able to throw in Hind quarters etc, when successfull.
    Down sides to the pack
    Very heavy construction
    Way too many adjustments / straps to undo to get into the pack
    Not enough load lift in shoulder straps to get pack up higher.
    Gets even heavier when wet
    When loaded up tends to pull you backwards as the gap where the scabbard sits keeps the rest of the pack further off your back.
    Looked at Kifaru's both Icon and Ultra, liked the modular design and to swap out different "packs " to the same frame. But they seem to change their mind every season with a newer brighter idea. Kinda like apple in that regard, so stayed away and went down the hiker path for packs ( we pay way too much for hunting packs ) and all we gain from hunting packs is a quieter cloth and a heavier unit.

The J34 is over 3.5 kg empty without any extra accessory bags and will carry more than you can stand up with
    My new pack is 1.1 kg and rated to 25 kg ( which is about all i want to carry maxed out )

I know my comments are in complete contradiction to Wanderer but he may be fitter than me.

Could/would you do something like this guy?

https://m.youtube.com/results?q=kuiu...e%20carry&sm=3

Looks good to me. 2nd vid down alternative Kuiu sling.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    I ran a J 34 for a couple of years, even had the super spike duffell to throw in or on it. Awesome idea ....the whole system, very well made. To use it as a day pack I would load everything needed into one sleeve pod and then fold it over the empty pod, made for a very narrow profile with the advantage of being able to throw in Hind quarters etc, when successfull.
    Down sides to the pack
    Very heavy construction
    Way too many adjustments / straps to undo to get into the pack
    Not enough load lift in shoulder straps to get pack up higher.
    Gets even heavier when wet
    When loaded up tends to pull you backwards as the gap where the scabbard sits keeps the rest of the pack further off your back.
    Looked at Kifaru's both Icon and Ultra, liked the modular design and to swap out different "packs " to the same frame. But they seem to change their mind every season with a newer brighter idea. Kinda like apple in that regard, so stayed away and went down the hiker path for packs ( we pay way too much for hunting packs ) and all we gain from hunting packs is a quieter cloth and a heavier unit.

The J34 is over 3.5 kg empty without any extra accessory bags and will carry more than you can stand up with
    My new pack is 1.1 kg and rated to 25 kg ( which is about all i want to carry maxed out )

I know my comments are in complete contradiction to Wanderer but he may be fitter than me.
    What is your new pack?

I too had a j4. Agree with John. Changed to a 1.1 pack. Exped lightening. Sure its possible not as tough, but the gains from saved 2.5kg is gold. Now my overnight setup complete is under 9kg on me back. If you shoot a lot more deer than me regularly then you may benefit from j34. I hunt more than i carry meat ao when i do shoot something i have to move the meat differently. Boned out in bags. In pack or over shoulder.
    For me the postion of the rifle against the back in its pouch meant that the load in the j34 was further away from my back, it just felt weird..... more movement and change of balance for me. This was with two Tahr in the back, only young animals but was enoughweight and too far from my centre of balance. Didnt feel right.
    Last edited by ANTSMAN; 20-10-2016 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    What is your new pack?
    STrangely enough same as Antsman I went with an Exped lightening

GWH
    Thanks @ANTSMAN and @johnd, I have a J34 as well as a macpac, and while i like how the rifle goes in it, I just can't get use to the J34.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk