Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Scope mounting your Maxtoch torch

Scope mounting your Maxtoch torch

After retiring my scope mounted HID spotlight for a Maxtoch hand held torch, I was in the search for a good solid mounting solution.
    We have a hunting and fishing close by, so popped down with my .22 and the torch to see what was available. I came away with a QD setup which seemed reasonable, but could have been a little higher. This build quality was average, and I ended up with marks on the scope as a result. I will need to get out the scope lapping bar on this if I was to use it again.
    Name:  148024.png
Views: 2290
Size:  53.1 KB

About this time a cheapie chinese mount turned up in the post, and it ticked the box of being higher, and allowing the torch bell to clear the scope objective bell. It has coarse adjustments for windage and elevation which work well. Probably a more useful feature if you were using a zoomie torch with the tiny die shaped beam, as opposed to the larger beam from the Maxtoch. The build quality was no worse than the previous one, so it got a tickle up with the lapping bar before going on the scope.
    The downside to this setup is the torch is now a permanent feature, and cannot be uasily unclipped when using the rifle during the day.
    Name:  IMG_20160616_213545.jpg
Views: 2565
Size:  720.9 KB

Interesting to see what everyone else is using, and how they find them.
    Pengy likes this.

I'm curious as to how this goes as I'll be wanting to scope mount my maxtorch in a few months when I go back to the island

I leave this little picatinni rail on scope, and put a tall cheapy ring on the torch. Good elevation and on/off in few seconds:

Accessory Scope Mount 30 + 25.4mm with 20mm rail | Trade Me

Weaver Ring Mounts 1" Scope Rings | Trade Me

Works very well. Other options out there too.
    GMH72 likes this.

I use the plastic figure-8 mount, same as someone was selling on here. Nice and solid (on 223 at least), sits up nice and high, quick to attach/remove.

What's not to like?

R93
    I have tried them all and this mounting system is what I have found most reliable, quick to attatch and no fucking around.

Ali express special iirc.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Trout, gadgetman, Ranal and 2 others like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Yes was trying to remember where that quick detach ring came from. Perfect with the little rail.

R93 - if you can find link on aliexpress or wherever you got it, it would be very helpful.

From memory the site member selling the clamps was Burtonator. If it is solid and stable it is also a good option

Fulla
    I use the little rail too. They were on trade me.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    Yes was trying to remember where that quick detach ring came from. Perfect with the little rail.

R93 - if you can find link on aliexpress or wherever you got it, it would be very helpful.

From memory the site member selling the clamps was Burtonator. If it is solid and stable it is also a good option
    I have a couple clamps as well. If anyone wants them 10 bucks including postage.
    Should leave me enough for a couple beers😆

I bought the one I have now ages ago. Could have even been on Tardme. Can't remember.

Last edited by R93; 17-06-2016 at 04:14 PM.
    HNTMAD likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I have a couple clamps as well. If anyone wants them 10 bucks including postage.
    Should leave me enough for a couple beers��

I bought the one I have now ages ago. Could have even been on Tardme. Can't remember.

These clamps are great.
    I brought 2 of them thinking that you would need them both to keep M24 straight and resist heavy recoil !
    But one is heaps and they are perfectly self aligning.
    Actually fitting them both is way more fiddly anyway.
    They can be very quickly used on another weapon rather than having a base permanently on one scope only.
    Also fit under shotgun barrel nicely.

No issues using those on a 30mm scope tube and 1" torch tube?

Quote Originally Posted by quentin View Post
    No issues using those on a 30mm scope tube and 1" torch tube?
    No they open up for any size scope.
    You can see that the clamping notch isn't perfectly round and will align any diameter perfectly even with narrow maxtoch and 34mm scope !

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I have tried them all and this mounting system is what I have found most reliable, quick to attatch and no fucking around.

Ali express special iirc.

I use a similar set up but without the quick release lever. Works well just hand tightening the nuts. I like to keep the bell of the torch behind the bell of the scope like you as it keeps the back of my suppressor in more shadow so less reflection. Also has the on/off button in better reach.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Ejected
    I use the same setup as R93. These are the DX links for the bits:
    rail thingy

Quick release rings (pair)

In addition to that on my AR I don't use the rail thingy, I use an offset rail mounted just behind the scope ring which brings the torch closer to your thumb for easier turning on\off.

offset rail

The rail thingy for the scope and the scope rings are all 30mm with plastic inserts for 1 inch scopes so you don't scratch your scope (assuming it's 1 inch).

The quick release rings mounts solid and comes on and off with finger pressure.

Name:  P1000428.jpg
Views: 2207
Size:  406.4 KB
    A330driver likes this.

For those who want to use a normal ring (Be it weaver or dovetail) and want to turn it into a quick release rather than spend money in a whole new QD ring (there are some that tight, I used to be which is how I figured this wee trick out)

Get the bolt thread size from the ring clamp and replace it with a much longer bolt that has a wing nut wound on backwards. Then simply locktite the bolt in place and use the wing nut to tighten the clamp and release it when you want. Head of the bolt keeps the wing nut from being lost. I am looking for the pitures of the one I had but cannt fint them.
    quentin and 223nut like this.