Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Boaraxa
  • 2 Post By chainsaw

Thread: Sleeping Bag

Sleeping Bag

My old sleeping bag is pretty much poked had a frost last week woke up cold will be doing some winter mission's so with the sale,s on figered itd be a good time to buy...anyone tried a macpac epic 1000 or kathmandu xtpolaris / xtpacesetter they say the xt,s are water resistant thoughts anyone ?
    Cheers.

Was talking last week with the Mrs bout needing a new bag as the old bushwalker is not up to a south island trip next month. She comes back later with bought you one on trademe for $53 What! So I go look at her purchase, chinese as expected called artic pole cattle and supposidly rated to minus 15 she got a wide one so I suppose if its crap I can use the bushwalker as a liner haha. Arrives next week and will get a trial on the lawn. Will post how it goes hope it's good as the saved couple of hundred can go on other toys.

I like the sound of saving a few bucks but I already saved a few on a $200 tent...so im guna spent that on the sleeping bag surprisingly the missz agrees I need to upgrade ...always makes me suspicious when she agrees with me I start thinking shes looking at a new saddle or worse a new horse
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.

unless you are planning on climbing mt everest that bag is seriously overkill (macpac 1000)

A 750+ loft goose down bag with 700 grams of fill is all you need for winter in NZ imo. A sleeping matt of some sort is required. Goose down is significantly warmer for the weigh than duck down.

A mate of mine got a British army bag recently and I was so impressed I am trying to convince mrs than I need one. Problem is I have a few already, including a much more expensive one that was a gift. The plus for me with the brit one is the zip is in the middle of the front. I sleep on my side (right so my choices are sleep on the zip or have the hood in my face and the back of the head open (really annoying either way.) If I sleep on my back or left side, no one else within 50 metres gets any sleep and it scares the deer away......(I snore)

The other up side with the Brit one is it has a pocket in it about where you arms go inside for hankys. torches and things that could go under the pillow to get lost. (Or my suggestion- your clean socks and undies for morning so they are warm....)

He got it from these guys but I cant find it at the moment.

Army and Outdoors | Army Surplus

A mate just got a Macpac epic 600xl last week on sale, he says its a hot bag and had to have it unzipped all night camp under the stars in the weekend in Nelson area at 600m. He is very happy with it.
    For me I would go for 900 or 1000 as I like tahr hunting snow camping in winter
    at 1000m-2000m. My bag now is a 900 and perfect for the southen alps. But the thermarest neo lite gets a bit cold some times in snow.

iv got one of the kathmandu ones, bloody awesome slept in hard frost and snow in my undies. too warm for summer tho but i just sleep on top till it cools down

SiB
    I'd think about a fleecy liner bag. I bought one and swear by it.

Thanks for the imput guys I gave macpac a ring told them what I was using it for she reckoned a good 1 to go for is the latitude series seemly its made of harder wearing material thinking the 700 could be the go as will be chasing a few tahr will have a look at 1 today or tomorrow .
    thanks for that link timmattalon had a look...some good deals on there.

I've got a Latitude, its a good bag, the only thing is they are a bit heavier than what they advertise.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

check out OnePlanet cocoon - 800 loft, weight ~840g DWR treated down. Got one on sale recently for ~$400
    GSP HUNTER and kokako like this.