Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: sleeping bag - whats the best 1st compact 2nd lite weight

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Jesus. That size and weight is the antithesis of this thread.
    Got yours yet Raho?
    Dan M

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    32x26cm compressed and 2.4kg is not what I would consider compact, or lightweight.
    That's a behemoth! It'd half fill my 40l pack

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Got yours yet Raho?
    Turned up this morning. Didn't sidestep Mr Customs so another $125 onto the cost. Just under $630 landed.
    Danny likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

K95
    I should add I bought a PHD sleeping bag (150gms) cover which has boosted the warmth of my bag alot and keeps the condensation from tent walls off pretty well. I'll throw a liner inside during this winter and it will be good.
    "Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.”

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Attachment 44563
    Ordered one of these the other day.
    Mont Bell 800 Down Hugger #3 long.
    Compared against the One Planet and Kuiu and it ticked all the boxes for me.
    + 1 They seem to stack up. reasonable price too. who did you order through KiwiJames?

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GSP HUNTER View Post
    + 1 They seem to stack up. reasonable price too. who did you order through KiwiJames?
    Direct through Mont Bell USA. Free international shipping too.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    Lightest, most compact solution I'm comfortable using in relatively warm upper north island conditions is merino long sleeve thermals and long johns (which I carry anyway) inside a SOL Escape Bivvy. https://www.surviveoutdoorslonger.co...ape-bivvy.html

What usage scenario are you anticipating? What areas and seasons?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    i got one of these, just wondering do you use yours directly on the ground? or inside a tent?

@birch: Definitely NOT directly on the ground. They insulate against radiative heat loss pretty well, thanks to their reflective inner surface, but will do nothing to protect against conductive heat loss. For that, you will need a thermal mat of some description.

5 Ways Your Body Loses Heat and How to Avoid Them | PreppingToSurvive.com

Im going to give one of these a crack. I've got its big brother and love it.
    I like synthetic because its immediately warm and doesn't get cold and clammy in your tent/fly. The latest fillers are great. They are much more compact and lighter than is the past. Cheap too

HyperLamina

@stretch thanks for that link, it made for interesting reading, i tried puting my inflateable mat inside bivi along with me and sleeping bag and its do-able but a little tight and i bet if i put mat under i will just slide off it during the night, i did think of tying it on some how but im not sure, but i can defineitly see the heat benifit of the bivi
    im also trying to cut weight tent wise ( currently 2.2 kg ) so was thinking along the likes of a bivi with the hoop at the head end to allow some ventilation, but then im also wondering about a fly too but i might just start another thread for that one

Quote Originally Posted by birch View Post
    @stretch thanks for that link, it made for interesting reading, i tried puting my inflateable mat inside bivi along with me and sleeping bag and its do-able but a little tight and i bet if i put mat under i will just slide off it during the night, i did think of tying it on some how but im not sure, but i can defineitly see the heat benifit of the bivi
    im also trying to cut weight tent wise ( currently 2.2 kg ) so was thinking along the likes of a bivi with the hoop at the head end to allow some ventilation, but then im also wondering about a fly too but i might just start another thread for that one
    Keep your current Bivvy, get a lightweight groundsheet to protect your inflatable mattress, and a fly. If it pisses down, and you've got JUST your Bivvy for shelter, you're going to hate being stuck inside it for any length of time.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Mont Bell - spiral 600 .... Purchased one from the states last year . Packed weight In it's cram bag is 0.700grams and roughly the size of a loaf of vogels. Extreme rating -8 or something close to that ..... Cost about $400 ( stronger USD back then) landed and was purchased tru the campsaver website , but shipped by a friend to NZ.

Cheers
    kiwijames likes this.
    Work Just Gets In The Way

I purchased one of these last week:
    Outdoor Clothing - Camping & Travel Gear - Kathmandu

Lightweight (0.61kg) and packs down tiny. Sale price is good too. I am 6" and fairly broad shouldered and i fit the regular size comfortably.

Good for summer hunting. I used it over the weekend and was impressed. Would be okay in winter (North Island) if staying in a hut and you wore thermals (which you would already have packed). Next step up in warm would be their Pathfinder bag, small and light also, but it's twice the price.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

some very interesting light weight options mentioned in this thread - are any sold locally ?
    I'm looking into options to save weight and volume with a bag or quilt in "-7 C or there abouts" range.
    As my legs and knees get older I'm chasing anything to drop some weight out my kit.
    birch likes this.