Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Ejected

Sleeping bags from MEND organisation (charity org, bags made in Nepal)

Has anyone ever used one of these? I like the idea of the organisation, and the bags seem nice and simple. They seem a bit light for the temperature ratings, I'm assuming it's not a "comfort" rating. If the quality is good then I'd pick one up, but not without knowing what to expect from the warmth.

They've got them on trademe, here's one:
    Quality -10 C Duck down sleeping bag | Trade Me

And this is the place that's bringing them in:
    Shop | mend.org.nz

I emailed the guy asking for more information but didn't get much out of him:
    The bags are made by a mountain trekking company in Nepal whose owner was a porter in his young days and we helped him build a health clinic in his village in foothills of Everest area...

We have 100% rating at TM..and all customers over many years happy and coming back for more!

by coming thru our website we can sell directly to you, no problems..

we have a good range of bags and now wool shawls from Nepal too for the wives at $20 each!

The ratings throw us a bit..
    but it is whether goose or duck down that is key to weight and warmth and price ..

so you will see each bag is labelled on type of fill..

so the -20 Duck down bag would give you good warmth..at $280 as we can reduce the price by the TM fee..

no bag is waterproof as they must breathe..so are showerproof only rip stock nylon outer.

You can check over any of our bags to find one suitable!

interesting the price difference between those two links, do like the look of them though

Ejected
    yeah the website is their old one, they don't have the products for sale on their new one yet. They look like slightly different bags, the -10 one on the website is a lot heavier. I like the idea of a slightly more relaxed fit on the bag but still with a decent temp rating - not a fan of sleeping in tight mummy bags.