Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Softshell... what did I miss?

Quote Originally Posted by killwell View Post
    soft shell are great in my opinion, picked a mountain hardware one up in oz for just over $200 bucks, overall great all round jacket for outdoor stuff not a hunting jacket but is somewhat waterproof in light showers and windproof. often use mine when fishing or putting cray pots out on the kayak and i never get wet. also can wear it to town etc..
    great purchase, just wish i could find a good camo pattern one and id prob wear it for most of my other activites duck shooting etc..
    cheers

Ottegear, Arc'teryx, WildThings, Propper... all make Multicam softshell jackets

I have softshell pants+jacket. I don't really bother with the jacket aside from bumming around town, I wear a light nylon windbreaker if it's showery/windy and/or I'm climbing hard, if it's pissing down I'll put on the hardshell

The pants are pretty nice but a bit heavy. Warmer and keep the wind out way better than shorts+long johns, breath really well, but if it rains more than just a shower they get wet.

I must admit to being a little old school. I still like my poly props because they don't really get wet, normally 20m past the last stream they're dry again. Normally just wear a pair of light weight nylon shorts over the top. If it rains enough I'll put on a wind/water-proof jacket/overtrou . If it's cold I'll put on T-shirt or thin woollen jersey. I've always found the old layering idea works well.

The good thing with polyprops is you don't have to queue up for the hot pools after a weeks slog. One sniff and everyone lets you to the front. Finally replaced my old Swannie a couple of years ago, the previous one had done about 30 years.