Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By foxhound
  • 1 Post By RichieRich
  • 1 Post By HNTMAD
  • 1 Post By Hayden C

Thread: Stoney creek ranger 35+ Vs hunters element 45l peak pack

Stoney creek ranger 35+ Vs hunters element 45l peak pack

Looking at purchasing an over night pack, both the SC and Hunters element are around $249 and similar size, How do others rate these. I do know the 60L trapper by SC had a review where the pack failed miserably. I have a 100L SC carrier pack that is comfortable with heavy loads.
    Jacobbabs likes this.

Ive owned a SC pack and its was a joke. Packs have one thing to do, hold heavy weights comfortably and this one didnt.

General consencus is buy a pack from a company that made its name with packs (macpac/cactus etc), not a company that makes lots of hunting stuff and that 'packs' is just another thing to advertise

I have a macpac utopia and would never consider a 'hunting brand' pack

just my 10c

Rr
    oneshot likes this.

How does the macpac tasman45 compare, as a hunting pack and able to carry enough gear for an overnight fly camp

If the SC 60 failed why would you look at the 35??

Try a Markhor, I have the 45 and 75+10 and rate them both, in saying that i cant work out how you get your overnight gear and meat out in a 35-45l bag myself, i struggle sometimes with meat and day hunt contents
    BRADS likes this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

I have carried 25kg in my SC 100l pack on a 40km round trip trek twice so far and it handled it. Was no where near full. I read a review that the trapper pack being made in asia isn't up to it. Been looking for a smaller weekend pack up to around 60l. Prob need to go into local store and view them & decide if they will fit my needs

get something with a waist belt if you plan on carrying more than your day gear.

dunno how the tasman would cope with 15+ kilos of meat on board though

at the moment my picks of hunting brand gear is narrowed down to Sitka or kuiu but its expensive.. you don't need fleece outer on a pack either its a gimmick and its not very strong

Had a look at the markhor brand online looks good, have to view them in local H & F if they have them in store.

Forget HE and SC gear its crap.

Check out the Alpine Rucksack by Sitka. Good price atm from here:

Huntings Bags & Backpacks from Sitka Gear
    BRADS likes this.

Karrimor are extremely good quality, they do a wide range of packs. reasonable prices to for how good they are. Check on ebay for best prices

Karrimor Sabre 45 | Dwights Outdoors

A mate had one of these, I was blown away by the design and strength of the pack, obviously size limitations. don't limit yourself to hunting specific, and the very small variety of the market we have in NZ.
    http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Produc...0/Default.aspx
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Badland packs are darn good for the hunter, mates got one and he carrys all sorts of crap in it and the meat, loves it. Hunter element pack i have (25l) has worked well for day hunts, lasted and is comfy

Quote Originally Posted by scoped View Post
    get something with a waist belt if you plan on carrying more than your day gear.

dunno how the tasman would cope with 15+ kilos of meat on board though

at the moment my picks of hunting brand gear is narrowed down to Sitka or kuiu but its expensive.. you don't need fleece outer on a pack either its a gimmick and its not very strong
    Agree if you are hunting open country but totally disagree if you are bush hunting, (maybe a question you ask yourself also @foxhound) need to be as quite as possible and the softer outer does help, the Huntech 40l (original) was and is mint for this and always use this one for bush hunting and it carries big loads too, Markhor for open country hunting.

Bit like gaiters really, the quiter they are the closer you get before they run!!..........unless they are love sick stags or its too windy for anything to hear!!
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Cheers for all the info guys, a few good options to look at. I don't think huntec make packs anymore , but ill have a good look at the markhor 55+10 and a few others.