Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Tents

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Hey Nibbles, any chance of a photo as packaged?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    199p, Danny and hotsoup like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Awaian View Post
    thanks GravelBen, most of the time it's not raining so hard when we camp I guess. I'm basing my (new) expectations on the tent I have which needs the poles threaded thru sleeves on the tent before the fly can be thrown over the top. 4poles to thread and not as quick as clipping on.
    AFAIK sleeved poles are stronger than clipped as they spread the force more evenly, and even if a pole does break then as long as it doesn't rip through the sleeve the tent can mostly stay up. Clips are generally quicker and easier, but not as strong which is why a lot of alpine tents use sleeves instead.

I have sleeved and clipped tents so a bit of experience both ways.

Had this one for 10+ years but it doesn't get used often now:

Lake Dumb-bell by Ben, on Flickr

Fairydown Assault - solid as alpine tent which has stood up to plenty of 'interesting' weather, but a heavy beast at 3.6kg. 2 sleeved poles with crossovers and one that clips across sideways, then fly over the top. Definitely a bit slower and more awkward to put up, but I still never got the inner very wet before putting the fly over it. After a while you learn the best process to do it relatively quickly. A good feature of this tent (and some others) is having two doors and vestibules - heaps of gear storage and no need to climb over your mate to get out for a piss in the middle of the night.

This one does most of my trips now:

Campsite below Bruce Peak by Ben, on Flickr

Mont Bell Chronos 2 - simple dome structure but with some clever geometry to widen the headroom. Innner clips up to the poles and fly goes over the top, with a decent sized vestibule out the side. Only one vestibule and door, but good ventilation on the other side as well. Not a full 4-season alpine tent like the fairydown, but plenty strong enough for most backcountry use - probably 4 season below the snowline and 3 season above it. It can also work as a lightweight mode with only the groundsheet, poles and fly (from memory around 1.5kg instead of 2.4kg normal weight) for good weather trips, but rain would blow under the edge of the fly using it that way in a storm.

I don't have any photos of them up without the fly that I can find.

Also had plenty of nights in Macpac Olympus and Minarets, fast easy-pitch design (thread poles through sleeves, peg one end down, stretch it out and peg other end) which keeps inner and fly together. Main downside of the tunnel design is being more directional for wind resistance, toe into the wind they're solid but a side wind can buffet them a bit. Plus they don't stay up without pegs/guy ropes to keep tension, the structure isn't self-supporting. Also some people don't like crawling in from the end instead of the side, but thats no big deal really. Minaret is a bit small for two blokes to share unless they're pretty comfortable with each other mind you.
    Last edited by GravelBen; 01-05-2017 at 09:27 PM.

Awesome information all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

Thanks GB, nice info and pics!

don't have a pic of mine but found something on the web. It's 4+Kg hence desire to get something a little easier to pack around.... even if it is bullet proof. One guy on the web said he could lie on top of it! Dunno if I'd try, too many pies after that pie thread....

Name:  MossStardome_LG.jpg
Views: 1368
Size:  16.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post

Also had plenty of nights in Macpac Olympus and Minarets, fast easy-pitch design (thread poles through sleeves, peg one end down, stretch it out and peg other end) which keeps inner and fly together. Main downside of the tunnel design is being more directional for wind resistance, toe into the wind they're solid but a side wind can buffet them a bit. Plus they don't stay up without pegs/guy ropes to keep tension, the structure isn't self-supporting. Also some people don't like crawling in from the end instead of the side, but thats no big deal really. Minaret is a bit small for two blokes to share unless they're pretty comfortable with each other mind you.
    Yep. I have a 26 year old (replaced the floor 18 moths ago) Macpac Exodus. Same pitch design as the Olympus and Minaret, but not a tunnel tent. Big enough for two, but only one vestibule, entry , but it is via a side door.

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post

@Nibblet is the weight of them as advertised?
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Ejected
    Will throw it on the scales tonight and advise.

And if I'm home early enough will set it up with a few photos along the way

outdoorlad likes this.

I recently brought a Big Agnes UL MTN GLO 2 man tent and love it!! Lots of great features, seems to be made really well....and its bloody lite!! I sold my MSR Carbon 1 man tent as I wanted more room and I think this 2 man tent is even lighter. Plus at first I thought it was a gimmick but I'm absolutely sold on the sewn in LED lights!!

Ejected
    Sown in lights??? That's pretty choice. What they run on?

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    Sown in lights??? That's pretty choice. What they run on?
    Onboard hamster wheel
    Awaian likes this.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Onboard hamster wheel
    Stuff that, just another thing you have to pack. And then food for it as well

Ejected
    Tent
    Carbon poles
    Pegs
    1.6 kg

And the ram on the roof of the tent glows in the dark which is cool but a little creepy the first time

outdoorlad, Blaser, GWH and 4 others like this.

far out! Better coverage than the website!
    Thanks Nibblet.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Awaian View Post
    far out! Better coverage than the website!
    Thanks Nibblet.
    Jason should put me on the payroll.

Their website use to be real good with heaps of photos when I brought it but when they changed to a more mobile friendly based system they got rid of heaps.
    SikaHuntaa likes this.

I take it you ordered direct? No local outlet? Any hassle on shipping?
    cheers