Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Thermal Imager question

If weather is cold to very cold outside you can indeed easily see studs through the gib of uninsulated houses.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
    Does anyone that has or has used one know if they would be any good for locating water pipes in walls or under ground/in concrete floors etc??

Would something like the Pulsar XQ38 do this?
    Cheers.
    In a simple answer...Yes.

I have one of these.....

Reveal | Seek Thermal

And if you look on this page you will see what it can do.....

Common Uses | Seek Thermal

I have had a bit of a play with it and seems to work as described. As far as game goes it does not have the viewing distance of that new leupold monocular, but I mainly got it for when searching for wounded game etc. And it has found me a stag that I might have missed otherwise. The torch is a handy back up as well.

years back while working in fire protection i got to have a look thru one of the fire sevicemans flir unit, bloody amazing, you could even look at a ceiling and see different hot spots in a room just from convection currents

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    If the pipe was against the inside of the wall and the water was warmer than the wall - then you would see a brighter line (more like a blur line) - but you will not see a pipe like an X Ray.
    The answer really is - no.
    Another point not many know is Thermal will not work looking through glass - like your vehicle window/windscreen.
    Its because infra red light at 8-14um wavelength is the range these are designed for, and its will be stopped by most glass esp vehicle glass. The glass on the lens of the imager is made from germanium, not silica. Germanium glass will filter out all other light wavelengths and pass the 8-14um wavelength.

I used to make then for the UK military when I worked for BAE Systems.
    223nut likes this.

Some interesting replies, thanks.

Ive had a good go with a demo seek thermal and it did more than I xpected, found some ducks at last light the dog had missed and found it a super good night vision. I would have liked to have a lupy to compare side by side as both have the same sensor i cant see how the lupy can have more range. If i wanted a thermal, id probably get the seek the torch proved useful. Still an expensive toy though.

You must be comparing your leupold monocular against something. What? the new Yukon Optics thermals, both monocular handhelds and rifle mounted scopes are light years ahead of anything else avaialble in NZ.
    Huk likes this.