Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Nick-D
  • 1 Post By Gibo
  • 1 Post By Danny
  • 1 Post By JRW87
  • 1 Post By Kooza
  • 1 Post By Nick-D

Thread: Thermarest Ridgerest Solar

Thermarest Ridgerest Solar

Has anybody got anything to guide me to or away from the thermarest ridgerest solar?

Ive had inflatable mats in the past and I dont trust them anymore, not much fun waking up cold and sore.

Bulky and uncomfortable. They are a insulative layer, and dont provide much in the way of padding.
    Danny and JRW87 like this.

What type of inflatable mats have you sworn off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    What type of inflatable mats have you sworn off?

I cant think of the brand, its at my parents, cost about $150 from memory, not an expensive one. Ive always just used my hammock with reflective laminated flooring underlay but Im going back to a tent now.

Is a full mat the way to go or can I get away with a 3/4 and not have my feet freeze?

Try the kids ones at warehouse for $16 comes down to about knee. Packs down tiny and hey its not a major at $16
    JRW87 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Try the kids ones at warehouse for $16 comes down to about knee. Packs down tiny and hey its not a major at $16
    Im 6'3 so maybe Ill get 2, haha.

Million dollar question aye mate. I've had many bad experiences with air mattresses as well.
    I have two that are full length and both are air. Can't tell you description, both are thin but well insulated. Ones Kathmandu the other Mountain Design. Neither are for carting miles but do ok for me.

JRW87 likes this.
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Million dollar question aye mate. I've had many bad experiences with air mattresses as well.
    I have two that are full length and both are air. Can't tell you description, both are thin but well insulated. Ones Kathmandu the other Mountain Design. Neither are for carting miles but do ok for me.

Very true, but one thing for certain you wont see me in Kathmandu again, went in there to look for some gloves today while my vehicle got fixed and not one of the 4 staff on the floor came over and asked if I needed a hand or anything. Went across the road to macpac and got a smile and hello from the lady who was busy then another guy helped me out. Probally should have checked out some mats there actually.
    Danny likes this.

Usual method with 3/4 is to put your pack under the lower legs/
    feet
    JRW87 likes this.
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

Quote Originally Posted by JRW87 View Post
    Very true, but one thing for certain you wont see me in Kathmandu again, went in there to look for some gloves today while my vehicle got fixed and not one of the 4 staff on the floor came over and asked if I needed a hand or anything. Went across the road to macpac and got a smile and hello from the lady who was busy then another guy helped me out. Probally should have checked out some mats there actually.
    Tauranga?

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Tauranga?
    Nah Wellington.

I find it way more comfortable to carry the 100g extra weight and have the full length mat. I use a exped sim mat UL, not quite as comfy as a full inflatable, but dont need a inflater bag, and will maintain a bit of insulation even it it deflates. Have you though about an underquilt for your hammock?
    JRW87 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    I find it way more comfortable to carry the 100g extra weight and have the full length mat. I use a exped sim mat UL, not quite as comfy as a full inflatable, but dont need a inflater bag, and will maintain a bit of insulation even it it deflates. Have you though about an underquilt for your hammock?
    I never needed an underquilt as I cut reflective foam to fit inside, Im moving away from the hammock is finding a suitable place to hang the thing is easier said than done and they arent the best to spend any awake time in during a spell of rain.

Haha, I am moving toward a hammock as I have found it a pain in the arse to find a flat spot to pitch the biv when on the side of a mountian

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Haha, I am moving toward a hammock as I have found it a pain in the arse to find a flat spot to pitch the biv when on the side of a mountian
    The grass is always greener isnt it, haha.