Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Underrated but Valuable Kit

Aly

Lightbulb Underrated but Valuable Kit

I've signed up to become a LandSAR trainee now and I've been adding some extra gear to my kit after studying some bushcraft and rescue manuals...

I've noticed the more I learn about what goes wrong and how to prepare to prevent it in New Zealand bush, the more pieces of kit I often overlook seem more and more valuable.

For example; Hypothermia is our country's number one killer of people in the bush (thanks to our 4 season, all-year-round weather changes). We're told to pack things like a survival blanket, sleeping bag, bivy bag/tent/fly etc. But never once, ever, has someone told me to pack a thermometer? Considering that one of the most important symptoms and best way to monitor if someone is deteriorating is to monitor their temperature. Yes there are always the outwardly signs but often these are when people are on the move when you see them. If someone's core temperature drops below 35 degrees to 34, 33, 32 etc they're in danger. Also, although the symptoms are a sure sign - there are likely many times they are not very evident.

A thermometer is a $10 piece of kit and weighs less than a toothbrush. It would help me assess someone's condition, and my own, a lot more thoroughly. Also not just for hypothermia but if someone caught a bug or a fever as well.

Another one I can think of is a life-straw, although I have a filtered waterbottle, rather than carrying aquatabs etc. Things that make the difference for preparation.
    I've also considered for an extra emergency food pack to get an MRE that heats itself. Just one pack for a long trip on top of my other food, because even with a PLB you can still get in a situation where you won't be rescued for awhile, but too injured or unable to cook up something hot yourself. They are just $20.

What other pieces of kit have people found incredibly useful, that are not on the common list of "what to take into the bush"? Not necessarily high-tech either. Would like to know and get a thread going.

Decent socks. Can't walk out with stuffed feet.
    veitnamcam, Pointer, res and 2 others like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Aly
    Also keen to hear of things that aid in the healing of frostbite, or the prevention of frostbite -that people may have come across. I don't know how many people out there on this forum have had their own taste of the cold that way but good to know any tips or tricks I just keep packing extra gloves and socks and keep them in my clothes or sleeping bag so they don't freeze. Same with boots - if it's not so cold I need to wear at all times, they go in a plastic bag in my sleeping bag by my feet. I have heard of toe warmers/hand warmers being used to heat up your socks/shoes before putting them on too so it's not instant interaction with the cold.

One of the most useful items in my kit is a pair of tweezers ground to a needle point with a bit of heatshrink tubing for protection. Great for removing thorns and picking up small stuff with large cold fingers. Also builders line, great for tying down corners of a tarp, makeshift laces (though normally carry a spare pair of those anyway), ...
    308 and Aly like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Good to have another keen voli on board Aly.
    Don't get too carried away with packing stuff, or you may end up like I did at first and barely be able to lift your pack .

Low tech low cost necessity.......toilet paper.
    Hunt4life and Aly like this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

get yaself an army magazine pouch and put in it -a spkt of noodles,a coupla tbags,a small plastic bags with coffee /sugar. ok attach that to your knife belt with an army water bottle which also has cups canteen.
    right -if you have to drop your pack for any reason at least youve got the makings of a feed&hot drink-also for your hypothermic pt -warm fluids with plenty of sugar is a bonus to gettin em stabilised and hopefully on the way to recovery.
    personally forget the thermometer -too finicky in the field and if its mercury -nuff said with that shit spread throughout ya pack.
    a wee gas stove in another ammo pouch is also great.im going on 13yrsTF army experience and beleive me its bloody amazing what a simple brew of noodles&coffee or tea can make when youre wetter and more miserable than a scuba diving sheep out the back of christ nows where! on a night that blacker than the inside of a westcoast coal mine!
    Aly and Tommy like this.

Sometimes I remember a knife. They are actually handy if you have one haha
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    get yaself an army magazine pouch and put in it -a spkt of noodles,a coupla tbags,a small plastic bags with coffee /sugar. ok attach that to your knife belt with an army water bottle which also has cups canteen.
    right -if you have to drop your pack for any reason at least youve got the makings of a feed&hot drink-also for your hypothermic pt -warm fluids with plenty of sugar is a bonus to gettin em stabilised and hopefully on the way to recovery.
    personally forget the thermometer -too finicky in the field and if its mercury -nuff said with that shit spread throughout ya pack.
    a wee gas stove in another ammo pouch is also great.im going on 13yrsTF army experience and beleive me its bloody amazing what a simple brew of noodles&coffee or tea can make when youre wetter and more miserable than a scuba diving sheep out the back of christ nows where! on a night that blacker than the inside of a westcoast coal mine!
    I'm sure Kerry will chime in here eventually, but http://thebloke.co.nz/the-carry-syst...epts-of-lines/. I still have my belt webbing somewhere, although I preferred the chest webbing...

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    kotuku and The Bloke like this.

SiB
    In lieu of toilet paper grab those handy pak paper tissues. Stronger and folded. They don't disintegrate in your pack like loo paper does either and do a good job
    Shootm and Aly like this.

Aly
    Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    Good to have another keen voli on board Aly.
    Don't get too carried away with packing stuff, or you may end up like I did at first and barely be able to lift your pack .

Low tech low cost necessity.......toilet paper.
    I'm pretty good with narrowing down to the essentials haha, but guess if I wanna carry more I gotta practice walking with the extra weight!
    Would rather ruck than go lightweight though!

Aly
    Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    Good points the thermometer I have is digital and fits in my first aid kit so it should be all good. I'm thinking it's for the kind of use when you're inside a hut or a tent monitoring someone rather than outside. I like the idea of having an accessible stove for a quick stop and eat/drink. I normally hide mine inside my pack, but makes sense!

Nappy rash cream, had chaffing once. Not a good look��
    southernredneck and Tommy like this.
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

"Mate hurry up we want to get there before dark....... you seem to be lagging behind, what is the square root of 144?" " fucked if I know ya wanker carry my pack as well if your bloody superman" "I think you have hypothermia, I am going to need you to drop your pants so I can get a core temprature with this thermometer, your in luck the extra large were on special" "You better push the button on that plb cos I will bloody kill you before that goes anywhere near my arse!"

Ok so taking the piss but I think the thermometer is a bit OTT.

I have a sock fetish, new pair of socks per day minimum for me plus a camp set.
    Good knife, small back up knife for when you are separated from your main knife for some reason.
    Inner tube for fire lighting and or candle stubs and at least two sources of ignition.
    Blaser, Pointer, gadgetman and 9 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Did you end up getting the gear from @mikee and myself Aly?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Aly
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    "Mate hurry up we want to get there before dark....... you seem to be lagging behind, what is the square root of 144?" " fucked if I know ya wanker carry my pack as well if your bloody superman" "I think you have hypothermia, I am going to need you to drop your pants so I can get a core temprature with this thermometer, your in luck the extra large were on special" "You better push the button on that plb cos I will bloody kill you before that goes anywhere near my arse!"

Ok so taking the piss but I think the thermometer is a bit OTT.

I have a sock fetish, new pair of socks per day minimum for me plus a camp set.
    Good knife, small back up knife for when you are separated from your main knife for some reason.
    Inner tube for fire lighting and or candle stubs and at least two sources of ignition.
    I've had hypothermia before so yea you could say I'm a bit anal about it

Oh yes my flatmate showed me the inner tube trick! Works a treat!