Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LittleDave

Thread: Vargo Ti Triad/Triad Multi-Fuel Stoves

Vargo Ti Triad/Triad Multi-Fuel Stoves

I am considering purchasing a Vargo Titanium Triad type stove and am interested to hear from those who have or had them. My idea was for use on overnight summer trips where I only need to boil water for a 'Back Country' or just a cuppa in the morning. Do those who own light weight fuel stoves still use them, or find that after a period of time they have now gone back to using normal gas or 'fast boil' type stoves. I own a 'Jetboil Ti' myself so am covered for longer duration trips.

Appreciate any comments.

Hey there I have a vargo triad xe ti stove and sad to say I found it really disappointing. It's difficult to light and you end up wasting a lot of fuel repeatedly priming it. It doesn't burn well doesn't hold much fuel and is quite fiddly to use. It looks cool though. You can use the tripod base with a fuel tab and leave the burner at home.

I've got a vargo decagon stove and find it pretty good, it's my go to stove these days, even for multiday trips. With a Titanium pot ends up being a pretty light weight reliable cooking system. You have to be a bit careful with the Triad ones tho, if you knock em they collapse and spill burning alcohol everywhere, ask @gimp witnessed him set his foot on fire once.
    K95 likes this.
    Every day is leg day.

Yeah the decagon is more stable, only reason I went with the Triad was I had a tall/narrow pot and the decagon wouldn't fit inside it.

Is the triad xe different from the triad? The one I have is a three legged base/pot support and a separate flat round burner unit same shape as a shoe polish tin only smaller

I have seen the decagon and i thought it looked better

Thanks for your comments guys! What do you use as fuel containers? The Vargo website has small plastic squeeze type containers which look pretty light and hold maybe 200 mls

Sounds good. Definitely worth getting one with a squirty type nozzle. I got one cheap at an army surplus

Yeah normal triad is smaller than the XE and it is one piece, also has a slightly different way of priming.
    I just use an old soft drink bottle 350ml, probably a bit big, never come anywhere close to running out tho and the mouth is big enough that it makes it easy to pour the left over alcohol back into it.
    Every day is leg day.