Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Watch recommendations

Watch recommendations

Finally decided my suunto has lived long enough, lost the bezel off it and screen is now cracked and scratched past being readable. Put on my old g shock and it solo seems to be going fine, no barometer or other fancy bits on it though.

Anyone tried the new g shock range man? Or any of their watches with barometer and altimeter?

I have the Suunto traverse alpha and highly rate it
    bully likes this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Wearing the rangeman as we speak. Temp guage shit house as it gets heat from your arm, Compass seems shit, alti shit im -85 metres, baro spot on against the weather station and my garmin, that's about all I wanted it for anyway. Big as but tells the time

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Wearing the rangeman as we speak. Temp guage shit house as it gets heat from your arm, Compass seems shit, alti shit im -85 metres, baro spot on against the weather station and my garmin, that's about all I wanted it for anyway. Big as but tells the time
    Hmmm is altimeter out cause you had haven't re set it as barometer changes or is it just crap? Temp is always the case when it's on Ur wrist! Cheers for the quick review.

Another factor is that the numbers are big enough to read when half awake and no glasses on...
    Biggun708 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Hmmm is altimeter out cause you had haven't re set it as barometer changes or is it just crap? Temp is always the case when it's on Ur wrist! Cheers for the quick review.

Another factor is that the numbers are big enough to read when half awake and no glasses on...
    If it needs to be fucked with as baro changes then what good is it? I would need something else to calibrate it? I have no idea how to use it so its probably just me I have had it off and the temp is about +-1 degree correct

My eyes are like lasers still and I have no idea what you can see but they seem big enough

Name:  Rangeman.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  522.5 KB

If it needs to be fucked with as baro changes then what good is it? I would need something else to calibrate it? I have no idea how to use it so its probably just me I have had it off and the temp is about +-1 degree correct

My eyes are like lasers still and I have no idea what you can see but they seem big enough

Attachment 70212
    I have pretty much the same watch but never wear it. Got a phone with GPS, compass, barometer, shot angle, .... and ballistics app.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

But an IWC!!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    But an IWC!!
    Watches are just out of date devices Maca, their time is up.
    sako75 and veitnamcam like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

The altimeter is based on barometric changes so you need to reset it regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    The altimeter is based on barometric changes so you need to reset it regularly.
    Reset what the alitmeter? Off what? Pressure is absolute and to hell with alti

Most of them use barometric pressure to determine altitude, so you have to recalibrate them at known points for accuracy as the pressure changes. I have an old Timex watch with alti+barometer etc, its a bit dead now but was easy to calibrate as you just adjusted the altitude when you were at a known height like a hut, peak or saddle etc.

I think their programming probably looks at how quickly and steadily the pressure is changing to decide if it thinks the change is you moving or the weather, some are better than others (mates Suuntos were always more accurate than my Timex especially as it got older) but obviously never going to be perfect.

GPS altitude isn't dependent on pressure, but GPS watches are more expensive, often chunkier and chew through battery life a lot faster so its a compromise.
    Gibo likes this.

Reset what the alitmeter? Off what? Pressure is absolute and to hell with alti
    If you're wanting to convert absolute pressure to MSLP then altitude matters

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    But an IWC!!
    Panerai.....that is all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Maca49 likes this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    If you're wanting to convert absolute pressure to MSLP then altitude matters
    Whats MSLP?

Mean Sea Level Pressue....I don't shoot far enough