Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 12ga 3" Steel

12ga 3" Steel

So where does everyone get their steel shot? Any good bulk discounts around?

Yet to pattern some really. Just wondering if there's any popular place people buy from or just the usuals - Gun City, H&F, etc?

Anyone with a Benelli M2 with any steel recommendations?

Oh and is Kemen total rubbish ?

Falcon 35gr (High Velocity?) #3 or #4. It's not 3" only 2 3/4", but it is bloody good. i use it in my Benelli M2. Try the farming stores or Gunworks, it's too cheap for the big chains to stock.

Just another outdoors addict
    I've used a range of ammo. Haven't found much need for 3 inch. Falcon 32 and 35 gram loads are very good (Farmlands) as is NSI ammo (the mai mai supplies)- both at very reasonably priced. You'd probably have good results with Elley ammo which is easily accessible to most with H&F stores everywhere and it's not badly priced.

I mostly use an M2 with quarter choke and 35 gram 2 3/4 inch loads in shot size 4.

Thanks I was leaning towards Falcon, will give some a go.

You guys mostly using #4's for everything? Or do you use more for geese?

Having trouble seeing why you'd go with the 3" if the specs on Gunworks site is right:

1. Ultra Steel 35 - 2 & 3/4", 35grams of shot, 1460fps.
    2. Super Steel 36 - 3", 36 grams of shot, 1460fps.

Really...from the couple of 3" i've shot that's a lot more kick for another 2.8% of shot and the same velocity. That sound right to anyone?

Yep 3" seems to kick a bit more than the 35gr load in my M2. I haven't tried the 35gr #4 load but I've been impressed with the 35gr #3 load through the 1/4 choke out to 35ish yards. But I've seen some good reports of the #4 load.

Remmy works for me
    Name:  picture 5831.jpg
Views: 1835
Size:  164.9 KBName:  picture 5830.jpg
Views: 1869
Size:  164.8 KB
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

If you live in Christchurch, it would be worth seeing what steel ammo that Fosters Chainsaws have stock (they only stock Hull ammo and only the store located on Blenheim Road sells ammo)

Been using the Falcon 3" - first shot 1 1/4oz of 4's, then 1-1/8 of 3's. Really good results. Also tried some new NSI from Maimai supplies 1-3/8oz of #3 and impressed with that also. Did a pattern test during a lull in the action, and the NSI had a great pattern.
    We had very few woundies using any of the above loads, and never even got the boat out on the lake on opening day.
    I haven't used the 2-3/4 Falcon yet, but I am sure it would be just as good. I just like the extra number of pellets in the 3 inch shells, but dead with 3 inch is just as dead with 2-3/4!!!!
    Everyone is entitled to their own stupid opinion

Game Bore 2 3/4" also is a good round.
    I get a sore shoulder when I just see the words 3", but that's just me these days.
    And like others have said, if you are going to miss with a 2 3/4" load you are still going to miss with a 3" load.
    As far as a shot size, probably no.4 steel is going to be pretty much as good as an all rounder you could use? The larger shot sizes seem to rip up the birds a bit too much, but then again, each to his own.
    Last edited by C404; 11-05-2015 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    What shot size Dundee?

The NSI stuff looks decent and well priced too. Hadn't heard of that so thx very much.

C404 where do you get your GameBore stuff? I've had trouble finding it other than 1 place online and it seems to be by the pack only and not the case. I'd buy a pack first to test it, but not much point if the cases of it are so bloody expensive. There was a guy selling on trademe for nice prices but seems to have disappeared.

Gunworks is $138 for a slab of Falcon Ultra steel 35gr Gunworks Ltd - 12gauge
    Matt2308 likes this.

12ga Clever Mirage Super Magnum Soft Steel T3 39 gram #4 - 12 Gauge Steel - Shotgun - Ammunition - Reloaders Supplies Ltd

I have been using these this season with very good results #4 patterns well out of my semi and my pass shooting has improved out of sight.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyP View Post
    What shot size Dundee?

The NSI stuff looks decent and well priced too. Hadn't heard of that so thx very much.

C404 where do you get your GameBore stuff? I've had trouble finding it other than 1 place online and it seems to be by the pack only and not the case. I'd buy a pack first to test it, but not much point if the cases of it are so bloody expensive. There was a guy selling on trademe for nice prices but seems to have disappeared.
    3shotName:  picture 5833.jpg
Views: 1619
Size:  163.9 KB
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Check out Shooters Supplies in Riccarton Road. I got some Mirage Clever from there last year. Cant really tell you how good it is yet, still waiting for something to shoot.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

gamebore in Temuka shop.