Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: 20g Pheasants/Quail Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    You would have to have rocks in your head to restock a Baikal!
    DIY Jim, I am not spending a cent on a gunsmith for that gun...

for quail,i use 24 gm 7.5 shot, if it is handy, mai mai supplies are excellent. pheasants i use 6's and 24gm load.with a 20 ga. you do not want to use too big a shot as it is important to keep density of pattern. same with 3 inch loads, i never use them, all you get is a longer shot string,not the same pattern and a lighter wallet.these are very effective loads on my 20 ga. guns.if you want to shoot heavy loads go back to a 12 ga. personally i avoid shooting anything heavier than 30gms through a side by side(12 ga.). no need to, and bad for gun, who wants cheek slap and bruised fingers? many high pheasants shot in the uk are 12ga
    1oz. loads,- they are a killer.
    Pointer and Petros_mk like this.

if you can find it mythos 5's or 6's.
    would have to be the best load i have ever used for roosters.
    Snuffit likes this.

@gqhoon says the same, pity I can't find any?

If you can find it, B&P Mygra 31gr in 5.5's are great, every bit as good as Mythos......and just as slow it would seem. B&P Flash 28gr 5's for something quite a bit faster.

Used a bit of steel 24gr 7's yesterday on pigeons to good effect, so going to try some on Pheasants next trip.

anybody trying out the 20 gauge black cloud upland lead load if so what you payin for it??

Quote Originally Posted by gsp follower View Post
    anybody trying out the 20 gauge black cloud upland lead load if so what you payin for it??
    No but I brought one box of the Black Cloud Steel load. Gave it away when I decided against putting it thru my nice light 20g u/o.

From memory was 50 bucks for the box. Guy I gave it to said it worked real good and very very effective but just not economic if you are using big volumes eh.

I don't generally now use anything bigger than 5 shot and mostly 6s or 7.5 as you don't need the bigger sizes shooting upland over a pointy dog. Shots are close eh

Gave away all my boxes of 4's to some one down Mid Canty way. Better suited to the area
    gsp follower likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    No but I brought one box of the Black Cloud Steel load. Gave it away when I decided against putting it thru my nice light 20g u/o.

From memory was 50 bucks for the box. Guy I gave it to said it worked real good and very very effective but just not economic if you are using big volumes eh.

I don't generally now use anything bigger than 5 shot and mostly 6s or 7.5 as you don't need the bigger sizes shooting upland over a pointy dog. Shots are close eh

Gave away all my boxes of 4's to some one down Mid Canty way. Better suited to the area
    yea that was me mikee thank you again and ive gone thru most of it on parries geese and ducks
    ive got a couple of boxes of prairie storm 2 3/4 inch 1 ounce ''flightstopper lead 6,s to try out,
    speed is 1350ftps. was swayed by the shotsize and speed more than he rest of the hype

supposed to be warmer tomorrow so a avo wander could be quaily

I brought some parrie 3" #4's to see what they're like. The one thing I already dont like is the price
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I brought some parrie 3" #4's to see what they're like. The one thing I already dont like is the price
    you dont need 3 inch 20 gauge for parries toby.
    im using eley hi flyer 5,s [30 gram]on ducks/parries and they kill well at all reasonable ranges.
    ive used 6,s at times for shear pattern density,especialy effective on decoying birds and have some hi flyer in that size that i havent opened yet. i am looking forward to trying hulls high pheasant load 28 gram unfortunatly only in 4,s

Its what the ammo is called haha. I know I dont "need" it haha I have shot everything with my 20g and the 2 3/4" #4 or #5 28grm or 30grm shells.
    VIVA LA HOWA

bet it kicked like a hundred bastards and if you pattern it probably little better than what your using
    if you really want a shock check out blackcloud upland 20 gauge lead [39 to 49n buks fn robbers]

This box cost me $49.99
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    This box cost me $49.99
    damn toby thats hefty