Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Bismuth Ammo, I need some

I am running a 1973 Franchi 12ga Field Gun. I cant shoot steel without making some modifications to the choke. Looking for 3 or 4 boxes of shells loaded with Bismuth. Have looked everywhere, can anyone out there help? I realize this ammo is expensive, but just need enough to get me through opening day. Cheers

PS would need to get the ammo to Auckland by Friday or Napier/Hastings by Friday.
    Last edited by greghart; 02-05-2016 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by greghart View Post
    I am running a 1973 Franchi 12ga Field Gun. I cant shoot steel without making some modifications to the choke. Looking for 3 or 4 boxes of shells loaded with Bismuth. Have looked everywhere, can anyone out there help? I realize this ammo is expensive, but just need enough to get me through opening day. Cheers

PS would need to get the ammo to Auckland by Friday or Napier/Hastings by Friday.
    the best option is to talk to your local h&f find out who the eley agent is and see if he has some he can send via them or if anybody bringing in kent tungsten matrix.

Quote Originally Posted by gsp follower View Post
    the best option is to talk to your local h&f find out who the eley agent is and see if he has some he can send via them or if anybody bringing in kent tungsten matrix.
    The agent isn't bringing any in due to cost. Have tried H&F and other retailers all over the place, no one has any. I am not sure the Tungsten ammo is suitable...?

Ejected
    Tungsten ammo is harder than steel and normal rules regarding shooting steel apply. Tungsten Matrix is tungsten powder mixed with plastic to make a heavy but soft compound that safe to shoot in any gun that will handle lead.

I brought quite a bit of it (from gun city) back in the day when I was starting cos everyone told me steel was shit so I assumed the reason my ducks were not falling out of the sky was the steel shot. They still didn't fall out of the sky...

If only it was a 20 your problem would be solved

H&F Taupo have both bismuth and Tundra 12g ammo. H&F Hamilton has bismuth also.

i am sure i saw this in H&F Taupo on sunday

Quote Originally Posted by gqhoon View Post
    H&F Taupo have both bismuth and Tundra 12g ammo. H&F Hamilton has bismuth also.
    ok gquoon ive put the pace maker on auto how much a pkt for bismuth ???
    tundra is just straight tungsten right?? so to tough on old tight choked guns??

Dose no one import bismuth shot into NZ so you can load your own?

I looked at importing some "nice shot" for reloading but it was no way economic at all was $40US per pound before shipping
    So 16 One Oz loads per bottle ( about $2.50 US per reload just for the shot component not including freight.)
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

i know one of the guys in the foxton waterfowlers experimented with handloading bismuth and liked it but reckoned a filler was neccessary to cushion and fill up the space .

I use it here in the UK. If you but whatever shot size you normally use with lead ie say 6 go up on size to 5 and drop your range by a quarter, then it's all good.
    You sure do pick and choose your shots though because it's still not cheap