Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By MassiveAttack
  • 1 Post By septic

Thread: Canada habits

Canada habits

Trying to find out the daily routine of Canada geese, been a few on a paddock where we shoot.

Seen them about 3pm so wondering what tactic to use to get some. At the moment it's a spook and shoot.

Cheers
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

Got a flock that fly over the house every day, 9.30 am heading for the mountains and back 6ish heading for culverden and @Ryan_Songhurst nice grass

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Got a flock that fly over the house every day, 9.30 am heading for the mountains and back 6ish heading for culverden and @Ryan_Songhurst nice grass
    Funny you should mention that because we do actually have a big flock (gaggle?) of the bastards that come in and eat our grass at night then bugger off when its light or when the fog lifts in the morning

Ejected
    This is a subject dear to my heart. Canada habits vary based on the moon phase and hunting pressure. With no moon and no pressure they will normally fly from the roost to the feeding spot half an hour after dawn. They return to the roost after a couple of hours or when pushed off by the farmer feeding out etc. The evening feed starts anywhere from 3pm to just before dark. The means the morning hunt is always the best one because you know if you get there before dawn you won't miss the morning flight and you know when it's going to start. For an afternoon hunt you can end up sitting there for 4 hours until they turn up.

If there is a full moon and\or lots of hunting pressure they will fly at night and the geese you see flying in the morning will be flying to the roost and hard to decoy. For example I have just come back from a duck at Ellesmere and it's almost full moon so tonight they started flying at about 6:30pm and were still flying at 7:30pm when I got in the car. The hunting pressure of duck season at Ellesmere makes them completely nocturnal.

Then sometimes they just do random stuff cos gooses do what gooses do.

The best way to pick the routine is to watch them from a distance without disturbing them and then just set up and hour or so before they get there.

Now is a good time to try moon goosing. Any time over the next couple of days ideally with light cloud cover. When the moon starts coming up later the fly on moonrise.

PM me if you want some more targeted advice and if you are in Canterbury am happy to lend a hand. I have a full set of decoys and blinds plus a brightly colored goose call.
    R93, Munsey and Beaker like this.

but this leaves the unanswered question =does massive fly at night???

Cheers for the advice and offer, geese in question are currently up in Hawkes bay.

Food for thought and might have to hatch a plan or 2
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

Kooza I'll help if ya need it and bring blinds with me.
    kotuku likes this.