Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Carolina Wood Ducks?????

Carolina Wood Ducks?????

Does anyone have any info on acquiring breeding stock & rearing of these beautiful quackers in New Zealand????

I have heard rumours that they have been spotted in the wild in the vicinity of Ngaruawahia/Huntly area of the waikato????

ive seen similar to wood ducks at the wgtn zoo
    harliquin/mandarin ducks???
    damn theyd be a prize if we could ever establish them here tho the flooded timber is there favourite aint it??
    Wood Ducks

The Wood Duck is well known in aviculture, it is considered by many to be North America's most ornamental and most colorful duck. The Wood Duck and it's close relative the Mandarin are often the first ducks a beginner obtains. They are extremely hardy, easy to care for, and will get along well with others in a mixed collection.
    Wood Ducks are cavity nesters and will require a raised box for nesting. A ratio of three boxes for every two nesting pairs is recommended. They can breed their first Spring, however fertility is usually better their second year. While their cousin, the Mandarin will commonly trio, I myself have had no success at breeding Wood Ducks in trio's. The breeding season is in Spring, and begins in March in my region, however I have collected eggs as early as February and once in December. Clutches range from 10-16 eggs and are incubated for 28 to 30 days. If the eggs are removed early in incubation the hen will often produce a second clutch. Second clutches will normally consist of less eggs than the first.
    While most experienced waterfowl aviculturist find wood duck ducklings fairly easy to raise, many people attempting it for the first time find them quite challenging. For the beginner excessive losses of ducklings at about 4-6 days of age is common, and usually results from the fact that they did not settle down enough to begin eating, or did not like the food or the way it was presented.

At Mallard Lane Farms we start our Wood Ducks on Mazuri Waterfowl Starter. Listed below are a few tips that we commonly use to get these ducklings eating.
    Sprinkle foods on brooder floor and onto the ducklings themselves
    Smear moistened food onto sides of brooder
    Place food in small containers of water (we use pickle jar lids) mazuri will float
    Put a duckling of another species (of about the same size) in with them. This duckling will help teach them to eat.
    Feed live meal worms
    Wood ducks are available in several different color mutations which include the apricot Wood Duck, white wood duck, and the very beautiful silver Wood Duck and the rare platinum wood duck, all are currently bred in the US.
    these guys could be helpful they have mandarins
    contact Us at Staglands
    Visit Staglands Nature Reserve for a native New Zealand wildlife experienceEmail:
    Please Click here to email us here at Staglands Wildlife Reserve (wildlife@staglands.co.nz).

The Stag Rag Newsletter:
    Please Click here to subscribe to the Stag Rag Newsletter.

Phone:
    +64 4 526 7529

Address:
    Staglands Wildlife Reserve
    2362 Akatarawa Valley
    Upper Hutt
    Wellington
    New Zealand
    Forest Wetlands
    The forest wetlands area has been extensively vegetated and provides shelter and breeding sites for a range of native and introduced waterfowl including Mute Swans, Canada Geese, Graylag Geese, Grey Teal, Brown Teal, Scaup (Black Teal), NZ Shovelers, Mandarin Wood Ducks, Grey Ducks, Paradise Ducks (NZ Shelduck) and the Australian Shelduck.
    Last edited by gsp follower; 21-12-2015 at 02:32 PM.
    luv2safari likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gsp follower View Post
    ive seen similar to wood ducks at the wgtn zoo
    harliquin/mandarin ducks???
    damn theyd be a prize if we could ever establish them here tho the flooded timber is there favourite aint it??

these guys could be helpful they have mandarins
    Thanks for the info gsp. Someone else on the forum may well have info of the waikato river sightings & know a bit more about where they came from ( apart from the obvious--Carolina!!!) I'll contact the people you mentioned.

You're right, they are almost too beautiful to shoot, bit like male spoonies!!!

Name:  Wood_Duck_(Aix_sponsa),_Parc_du_Rouge-Cloître,_Brussels.jpg
Views: 4031
Size:  674.2 KB
    They are in the BOP too, small numbers on the Wairoa River just north of Tauranga.
    199p, mikee, kotuku and 3 others like this.

They would be 100%awesome to see on ellesmere .even if we had em protected to give em time to build up a decent population. that colouring is nature at its grandest eh!
    Munsey and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrusher View Post
    Attachment 43836
    They are in the BOP too, small numbers on the Wairoa River just north of Tauranga.
    Is that the Carolina one or the Mandarin jobee???? & do you have any idea how they got there ( apart from flying,ha ha????)

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrusher View Post
    Attachment 43836
    mature mallard drakes are awesome spoonies are gorgous but that woody is just the dogs bollocks
    Micky Duck likes this.

I'd like to find out where to get some eggs for breeding purposes. I have heard that they're quite difficult to rear in captivity???? But it'd be nice to see them
    around the countryside a bit more,eh???
    gsp follower likes this.

MSL
    Small scale breeder near Hamilton, supplies the zoo

I would be just as happy to see good populations of Mallies and others doing their thing....
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Saw them years ago whilst duck shooting of the end of Gears rd Atiamuri, around 20yrs that is
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Saw one at Lake Rotoiti yesterday... First time I've ever seen one in NZ. Got photo.

Tahr, gadgetman, Munsey and 4 others like this.

@Greenhill has some

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    I was at a cafe just south of Roxburgh in March. They had about thirty in a pen for sale. I would have bought some but the logistics of getting live ducks home was to hard. I'd be very keen to get some eggs if anyone has some.
    Hi 7mmwsm I realise yours is a very old message but do you remember the name of the Cafe in Roxburgh?? Thanks!