Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Ellesmere… a few questions!

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    I agree it's a widely under looked resource after opening day
    still my favourite place to hunt geese windswept simply awesome in size and its ability to surprise you with different bird species catching you napping

All the positive stuff on here had me pretty pumped for the lake until I took the gun to the smiths today as I wasn't happy with one of the pins protruding, was told not an easy fix may be internal damage in the firing gear behind the pin (old gun) should get it back within 2weeks and may cost up to a couple of hundy possibly went to the wrong shop but you live and learn eh, so seasons temporarily on hold!

Ejected
    I am sure someone can find you a spare gun sparrow. I would lend you mine but I am using it after a opening day fark up.

All good mate thanks, got the call today all fixed and only cost half what they thought its all back on!

Finally got out saturday

after getting the gun back midweek the lake one the toss up over a walk in the hills especially with the pending winds i thought might stir up a few birds.

Went down the wolfs road access and arrived about 11 am not ideal i know, but don't have a pegged mai mai to shoot the dawn and had the little fella to take care of in the morning any how. The fact that as far as i could tell i was the only one in the area told me it was gonna be slw, but took my time and had a good nosey about was just awesome being out there saw plenty of geese and swans at distance but not a duck any where.

Set up un the main body for a few hours, but still not one duck in the air.Name:  DSC01187.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  1.17 MB

Decided to have a look for an evening hole and liked the look of this one some shiny empties and a few feathers were the sealer, still didn't see a duck until dusk and they flew real late, had 1 hen present real nice where i intended between the 6 decoys on the left the couple on the right and still managed to cock it up prob the 6hrs of waiting arms were asleepName:  DSC01190.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  1.08 MB

Any how about another 4/5 came in in the weeds out back but i couldn't see em by that stage so packed up.

I know its not an exciting day for most but i learnt a bit and had a good explore of that area and can't wait to get back, so different to what i've done before, just loved the place.

Questions for those in the know: do you reckon i was in the wrong area for the northerly winds?

What other areas do ya recommend for those winds? and had a possible chance at a swan that surprised me late on seeing as i've never had the opportunity to shoot one before are they any good to eat?

Cheers
    gsp follower likes this.

Good stuff dude!

That spot you are in will produce birds on a decent southerly. We used to shoot there most evenings regardless of the weather and would pick up a duck or two every time. There are some nice swampy patches over closer to the willows too, which shoot well. The ducks tend to trade up and down the river there and you'll have a better chance of sucking them in. If the weathers calm they'll come in real late. You need to start working your caller on ducks even seen at long distances.
    Sparrow likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Good getting out there Sparrow. I've shot the bay to the left for the last year and looking to get back there when I get my new waders. Usually get swans heading back there for the night. Yes they are good eating. I mainly casserole the breasts with some fatty bacon to add the smokiness and a little fat.
    Sparrow likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
    after getting the gun back midweek the lake one the toss up over a walk in the hills especially with the pending winds i thought might stir up a few birds.

Went down the wolfs road access and arrived about 11 am not ideal i know, but don't have a pegged mai mai to shoot the dawn and had the little fella to take care of in the morning any how. The fact that as far as i could tell i was the only one in the area told me it was gonna be slw, but took my time and had a good nosey about was just awesome being out there saw plenty of geese and swans at distance but not a duck any where.

Set up un the main body for a few hours, but still not one duck in the air.Attachment 24721

Decided to have a look for an evening hole and liked the look of this one some shiny empties and a few feathers were the sealer, still didn't see a duck until dusk and they flew real late, had 1 hen present real nice where i intended between the 6 decoys on the left the couple on the right and still managed to cock it up prob the 6hrs of waiting arms were asleepAttachment 24722

Any how about another 4/5 came in in the weeds out back but i couldn't see em by that stage so packed up.

I know its not an exciting day for most but i learnt a bit and had a good explore of that area and can't wait to get back, so different to what i've done before, just loved the place.

Questions for those in the know: do you reckon i was in the wrong area for the northerly winds?

What other areas do ya recommend for those winds? and had a possible chance at a swan that surprised me late on seeing as i've never had the opportunity to shoot one before are they any good to eat?

Cheers
    Well done sparrow, its all good whether you come home empty handed or not, as you said, you learnt heaps, thats what its all about when you start,

swans taste great, carefully slice down the centre of the breast bone, and scrape, cut away the breasts, dark red meat like steak!!!!!.....take the legs too for a crockpot slow cooker jobbie!!!!!
    Sparrow likes this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

. Good to see you get out . Other end of lake for norwest .) Birdlingsflat ) acess not as easy as other parts . Wolfs rd , embankment rd , Jarvis rd in a southerly . I've pm my number give me a txt back will take you to lake or a walk with dog for quail . I'm will be out every weekend over season .
    Sparrow likes this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Set up un the main body for a few hours, but still not one duck in the air.Attachment 24721

Decided to have a look for an evening hole and liked the look of this one some shiny empties and a few feathers were the sealer, still didn't see a duck until dusk and they flew real late, had 1 hen present real nice where i intended between the 6 decoys on the left the couple on the right and still managed to cock it up prob the 6hrs of waiting arms were asleepAttachment 24722

Cheers
    thats my favourite goose pozzy your in on the last pic good for parries travelling across to mcbeans over the trees.[img][/img]
    this pic is taken from right of the maimai looken towards the lake and l2[img][/img]
    this ones lookin back towards the op of the l2 and wolfsroad
    Last edited by gsp follower; 27-05-2014 at 02:26 PM.
    JoshC, mrs dundee and Sparrow like this.

Thanks fellas, had feeling i was in the wrong spot for the day but you live and learn eh thanks heaps, swans's good thats a plus and Munsey might just take you up on that offer , very cool!

And gerat pics gsp

And gerat pics gsp
    its a great spot usually you can guarentee you swan limit
    the dog in the last pic is buried not far from there
    any goose sign about??
    heres a pic of massive gettin goosey as he and my gsp hear closing honkers at the same time
    [img][/img]
    and kotuku and red discuss parrie retrieves and using his pack for a bed[img][/img]
    mrs dundee and Sparrow like this.

now speaking of red parries and things ,that reminds me -ya cant cook dead cats so I guess another wee mallard or geese foray is long overdue. actually since that photo was taken both red &myself have put on some condition .this bears out my uncles standardobservation"a man should never trust a skinny chef or thoroughbred stallion."
    the first photo of the immortal Elvis -brings back lots of funny memories.RIP old fella -ya did ya lifes toil and ya did it bloody well.