Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Geese and swan

Ejected
    Branta canadensis urbanisus.

I always thought that after a city was destroyed it would become inhabited by zombies. After having lived though it I now realise they are inhabited by gooses.
    username likes this.

How far up the North Island have the geese gone? I saw three tonight in my travels.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    How far up the North Island have the geese gone? I saw three tonight in my travels.
    I know they are a problem in the far north, cousins have gone up to participate in culls at lake omapere and mimiwhangata if my memory is correct

Sent from my workbench
    Dundee and gsp follower like this.
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

let me be the first to donate to the ''get dundee,s lone honker a mate'' fund
    Quote Originally Posted by smidey View Post
    I know they are a problem in the far north, cousins have gone up to participate in culls at lake omapere and mimiwhangata if my memory is correct

Sent from my workbench
    how far up is camel hills station /farm ??they apparently have a lot at times

not long now till the young birds drift back fom the high country where hopefuly a good number will miss the moult culls

was over the east side of chch the other day and decided to tikki tour the avon via avonside drive on me way home.fuck me -ive had smoother drives on the rakaia riverbed!
    anyhow just before the fitzgerald ave bridge there is a stretch of the avon which is home to 3-4 very large mobs of rudely healthy canadas whom i swear gave me the collective brown eye and a "f...you "honk as i drove past with dentures grinding in frustration.
    oh hell yeah theres no flies on our metrosexual new age gooses,obviously they know what FF and cull stands for.
    EeeBees likes this.

now Dundee old chap if you could flee the palace of tit pulling for a few days we could hopefully show you a new version of tits up as another canada bites the dust!
    shit one of our shootin mates (c404)whose had a hell of a time over the last 2-3yrs with injuries&surgery ,even bought himself a 28g and bugga me announced his return by droppin two plump fat honkers on his first outing.made my bloody weekend to see the bugger with the grin on his moosh i tell ya.
    thart old buggger youve got on the farm -he resembles gsp follower when im in the maimai with him.... would ya be as kind as to whip out and enquire does he know a grumpy tubby ex shepherd bugger whose moved to shakey town or thereabouts .if the bastard hisses or eyes you up like a scrub bull about to charge you'll have hit the nail on the head.
    Do not attempt to smother him in watties and toss him on the hot plate .you must ensure hes gone to the great grass paddock in the sky first.
    geese generally have a piss poor sense of humour!!!

Cheers got a laugh out of that but me like button is broken.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

well apparently boys the tomtoms have been humming round ellesmere and it seems another well known spot was relieved of 200 odd geese recently. its close to one of ours which apparently has had a fair old population of ferals/canadas having the annual munch squawk&shit fest.
    You guessed it -another visit in the offing and it sure as shit aint social.
    Im feelin like a new stallion in his first service season -fully loaded &bring em on.

GSP
    Can people exercise dogs in that area? Reads like the Council (or someone in council) wants to stop that, they always find some way. We have it in my area, council whinged about dogs on the river bed whilst 4WD and those 3 wheeler bikes made huge mudholes. At least the beer bottle smashers and burn out car crowd seem to have lessened.

went and had a sniff &gallop round me latest paddock tonight. oh hell yeah we saw 100+geese but the canny wee buggers will take some getting-.still it just makes it all the more exciting,
    what did amaze us though was a freshly cultivated paddock beside the main road which had parries crawling over it like maggots on a fly blown sheeps arse.mobs of them dropping in from all directions .the local seagulls were pissed off mightily as they got shoved in to one corner.

223 will fix em kotuku.
    7mmsaum likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

well it may friend ,well it may ,but this is the bed of lake ellesmere we,re talking about ,so that approach could see a little shit flying. nup like all good infantrymen im developng a plan!
    we also struck 60 odd birds en route to guts filltime and heard the same in the dark as we came out! they'll keep .big colony of smug bloody feral geese out there too-they dont know it yet but suprises unpleasantus is in the mail for them as well. not to bad eating if you get a young bugger thats a guts. it bloody great ,for the first time in ages im really starting to enjoy the hunting and the exercise that comes with it.

we nailed another today ,saw huge flights headed for a cockies paddock.ours was bizzare around 10mins of bloody frantic commands from mate "takeem ..get down takeem lookout get down"as three groups snuck up on us at virtual ground level.it was the second nosier bird of the last mob that paid the price -plump wee bugger too -add to my collection of nice plump birdie boobs ,plus old massive kindly dropped another couple of plumpies in tonight-all for autopsy in the morning .
    im gettin to like this lark! and im gettin me exercise luggin pack 7decoys through ellesmeres swamp mud &water.

Name:  P1020523.JPG
Views: 249
Size:  527.6 KB a pleasant way to spend a work day.nth. canterbury yesterday.
    gsp follower and kotuku like this.